What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Athletics

Shorty

Staff member
Well like Phelps or Bolt shes a freak of nature.
Intersex is the more likely term nowadays, she didnt find out about it until she was at a high level at like 17 and they were sus about her testosterone levels.

Its a shame she's getting heat, her testosterone levels are quite high but not at a ridiculous level, she's not dominating the way a 'man' would.

Frankus

Juniors
Bolt looked so relaxed and easy in the 200 and still ran 19.7, switched off completely as soon as he hit the straight. He might break the WR in the final if he runs hard the whole way.

Shorty

Staff member
Anyone still complaining bout how our swimmers conduct themselves?
Shipper's reaction to silver made her look a bit bratty.

Tommy Smith

Referee
I didnt think she came across as bratty.

Obviously it's a fine line and comes down to interpretation but to me she knew she was capable of Gold and that was her goal. So she was devastated to come 2nd. I like to see that.

It's better than some of the swimmers atttitudes who were "just happy to be here".

But again, it all comes down to interpretation.

Danish

Referee
Well like Phelps or Bolt shes a freak of nature.
Intersex is the more likely term nowadays, she didnt find out about it until she was at a high level at like 17 and they were sus about her testosterone levels.

Its a shame she's getting heat, her testosterone levels are quite high but not at a ridiculous level, she's not dominating the way a 'man' would.

Bullshit. Her testosterone levels are way higher than her competitors.

When she was forced to take hormones to reduce her testosterone to that of what is acceptable, she couldn't even make it to the finals. The court of arbitration for sport makes the ridiculous ruling that increased testosterone doesn't aid performance, she stops taking the drugs, and is a world beater within s couple months again.

I would think that as a woman yourself you would not want to see female athletes having any chance of them winning their event taken away from them

Shorty

Staff member
The fact that she's not won gold and hasnt really dominated is why I'm fine with it.
Again this is people seeing something in the olympics and thinking they know everything about the story.
Come back to me when shes repeatedly won gold in both her events and in worlds.

If it was a distinct unfair advantage she'd have more titles.

Danish

Referee
The fact that she's not won gold and hasnt really dominated is why I'm fine with it.
Again this is people seeing something in the olympics and thinking they know everything about the story.
Come back to me when shes repeatedly won gold in both her events and in worlds.

If it was a distinct unfair advantage she'd have more titles.

She hasn't won gold because she has been forced into taking drugs to reduce her testosterone levels since 2009 - 2009 btw is when she was running times that put her in the company of only the Eastern European runners of the 80s - and has only just been allowed to stop taking them this year.

If she is not forced to reduce her testosterone levels again, she'll win this olympics, the next worlds, and continue to do so for at least the next games unless another trans athlete dethrones her.

You should read up on the ruling that's letting her run without meds. It will even allow pre-op transgender athletes to compete. This will truly ruin women's sport. The male 800m record for example in NSW is 8 seconds faster than the women's world record. Remember as well that the women's 800m record was set over 30 years ago by a drug cheat and no one has got within 2 seconds of it. Imagine how uncompetitive women will be when pre-op transgender athletes are allowed to run against them. Even if they struggled to make the state carnival at school they'd likely be a good chance of medaling at the Olympics.

Women who were actually born women might as well not even turn up

Shorty

Staff member
Well I think the transgender athlete issue is why Caster is getting a lot of attention.
There's a distinct difference between intersex and trans but it is murked up in this day and age for various agendas.

It's not Caster's fault that the IOC has changed its guidelines, certainly its a tricky issue but where do you put her? Cause she doesnt actually have male level testosterone...she is inbetween and therefore she goes from having an advantage to a disadvantage.

I am guessing the sporting bodies allow her to compete because they would be liable for some sort of lawsuit otherwise.

But let's not mix up Caster with someone like Fallen.
I'm concerned about actual trans athletes competing because there's far more than intersex.

Danish

Referee
Well I think the transgender athlete issue is why Caster is getting a lot of attention.
There's a distinct difference between intersex and trans but it is murked up in this day and age for various agendas.

It's not Caster's fault that the IOC has changed its guidelines, certainly its a tricky issue but where do you put her? Cause she doesnt actually have male level testosterone...she is inbetween and therefore she goes from having an advantage to a disadvantage.

I am guessing the sporting bodies allow her to compete because they would be liable for some sort of lawsuit otherwise.

But let's not mix up Caster with someone like Fallen.
I'm concerned about actual trans athletes competing because there's far more than intersex.

Effectively it is not. Both have unfair physical advantages that their competitors can never achieve. One certainly has a greater advantage than the other, but it's an unfair advantage nonetheless.

As to where caster should run? They either create a special category for her and athletes like her, or they simply draw a line in the sand at a set testosterone level, and those below compete as women and those above compete as men. Will this mean Caster can never win? Certainly. But it's a competition, and in competition most people lose.

what is also interesting is that they are allowing transgender men who take testosterone to compete with men. To me this is also unfair, as it is effectively just allowing a drug cheating woman to compete.

Shorty

Staff member
Well im not sure its ever been confirmed but she was tested for unusually high levels of testosterone and 'leaked' reports found she's intersex.
Apparently she has undescended testes (internal) which would explain testosterone but for all intents and purposes appears to be female.

Very very rare but with the environment with trans athletes shes copping flack.
BTW removal of said testes would probably bring her back down to level however thanks to trans athletes genital surgery is now not necessary to compete (yes, you heard that right).
I assume testosterone blockers cause side effects and that's why the IOC changed it's policies.

Shorty

Staff member
what is also interesting is that they are allowing transgender men who take testosterone to compete with men. To me this is also unfair, as it is effectively just allowing a drug cheating woman to compete.
I appreciate your sentiments but I'm more likely to be dunking for the Opals next Tokyo than a trans man ever gaining an unfair advantage over his competitors.

I'm guessing you haven't seen one of these dudes in person? They're all of about 160cm, 60kg and look like most guys did at 14.

Danish

Referee
I appreciate your sentiments but I'm more likely to be dunking for the Opals next Tokyo than a trans man ever gaining an unfair advantage over his competitors.

I'm guessing you haven't seen one of these dudes in person? They're all of about 160cm, 60kg and look like most guys did at 14.

You might want to google the name Chris Mosier

Danish

Referee
I'm going to speculate here but are you talking about the East German shot putter?

Nope. He's the first trans athlete to make the men's duathlon team here in the US. Features heavily in a Nike advert for the Olympics.

As of the beginning of the year it was likely he'd be banned from competing at the world championships, but they are fighting it.

Now obviously his achievements are tremendous, but the fact also remains that he is only able to achieve his success by effectively doping. It's going to be a very interesting case when it eventually it winds up in court (he had already set up a gofundme page collecting pledges to cover the imminent legal fees).

All these cases are effectively the next blade runner feel good story, where doing the PC thing will trump the much less of a fairytale hard truth.

Shorty

Staff member
Interesting, I haven't heard of him.
It does seem strange that they don't seem to mind transmen using drugs excessively.
Honestly the trans thing is a complete and utter clusterf**k and at some point it will go to a head, perhaps sports will be the last straw and some actual research will be conducted.

I don't have a very political correct view on transgender 'science'.

Danish

Referee
It's definitely getting to a point where some rock solid decisions have to be made. I just hope they are made with actual science and logic and not what feels best.

At the very least though there is going to be at least one poor girl denied her Olympic Dream in the name of political correctness tomorrow