What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Attendances

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
Why are you always moaning on these threads ?

I mean if watching the league World Cup bothers you go and watch the union friendlies (which lets be honest you probably did)
Stating facts are moaning? Someone stated a point about Rugby getting better crowds during the spring tour than the RLWC....I just stated the facts why they do...

Sorry to disappoint, you I didn't watch any rugby internationals...though I read more people attended Wales vs NZ then the whole RLWC Quarterfinals put together....so must be doing something right....

Yet our codes selling point is two heritage sides playing off in a quarter final...

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
I’m c

I’m Confused, why didn’t they buy a 25 pound ticket? It isn’t a Bali market where you can barter at the gate lol
They were told no tickets left for 25 pounds....yet there were thousands left....they really have dropped the ball on the ticketing for this RLWC.

Iamback

Coach
Stating facts are moaning? Someone stated a point about Rugby getting better crowds during the spring tour than the RLWC....I just stated the facts why they do...

Sorry to disappoint, you I didn't watch any rugby internationals...though I read more people attended Wales vs NZ then the whole RLWC Quarterfinals put together....so must be doing something right....

Yet our codes selling point is two heritage sides playing off in a quarter final...

That most people predicted the 1/4 pre tournament too

Perth Red

Post Whore
They were told no tickets left for 25 pounds....yet there were thousands left....they really have dropped the ball on the ticketing for this RLWC.
That seems very strange and not something I’ve ever experienced unless they’d limited capacity in stands due to stewards and safety based on expected crowds in those stands.
Tbf if I’d been arsed to get myself to the stadium I think I’d have begrudgingly found 15 quid extra to get in lol.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Union has a long established international game with strong club comps around the world. League isn’t and doesn’t. It’s like saying RU internationals are pointless as they aren’t as popular as soccer world cups and internationals.
what’s important is if RL is improving and growing. I’ve been following world cups since the 80’s when we didn’t even have a tournament so have heard these “why bother“ for a very long time. Yet here we are, still enjoying rlwc’s, still getting new countries coming through and for those of us who put international RL as the pinnacle of the sport still pleased to see the progress, all be it slow, being made. RL has never been a quick mover, but it is moving.
This is the fifth tournament in the 2000’s and is bigger and arguably better than the ones before. Sure mistakes have been made, sure fan apathy has once again let the game down but all in all I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it and will to the end.
can’t wait to travel to France in 2025 to see the next one.

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
Union has a long established international game with strong club comps around the world. League isn’t and doesn’t. It’s like saying RU internationals are pointless as they aren’t as popular as soccer world cups and internationals.
what’s important is if RL is improving and growing. I’ve been following world cups since the 80’s when we didn’t even have a tournament so have heard these “why bother“ for a very long time. Yet here we are, still enjoying rlwc’s, still getting new countries coming through and for those of us who put international RL as the pinnacle of the sport still pleased to see the progress, all be it slow, being made. RL has never been a quick mover, but it is moving.
This is the fifth tournament in the 2000’s and is bigger and arguably better than the ones before. Sure mistakes have been made, sure fan apathy has once again let the game down but all in all I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it and will to the end.
can’t wait to travel to France in 2025 to see the next one.
Some good points there, the massive issue is that only three games out of 27(?) have been competitive. I can only suggest regular competition will help close the gap, but going off previous history, we won't so regular games for nations.

I'm not In the why bother group....I am In the 16 teams is too many teams group.

The market is pretty saturated in NZ at the moment with the Women's Rugby World Cup in NZ along with the 20twenty cricket world cup In aussie. This has seen little traction for the RLWC here in NZ....though in saying that on the news they said police struggled to contain Tongan and Saomam fans in auckland last night as they came out to support tomorrow's game 😆😆 no arrests made so must of been peaceful.

One can only hope, with the cancelation on the mid season test for the kiwis, that NZRL arrange tests against Tonga and Fiji at home to help boost the game. But more than likely we will get a test hidding at home from aussie before a trip to the UK.

taste2taste

Juniors

Why compare league to Union ? They are far more established than us, as Perthred said it would be the equivalent of comparing Union to soccer.

Yes the game has grown at a snails pace but the last 10 years have shown great progress.

Tonga and Samoa will always be largely made up of heartitge players, the islands have small populations and Sydney has huge pockets of Somaon and Tongan communities that always make up the majority of the teams.

FYI, Stephen Crichton was born in Somoa, so they do have at least have 1 player born there :D

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
Why compare league to Union ? They are far more established than us, as Perthred said it would be the equivalent of comparing Union to soccer.

Yes the game has grown at a snails pace but the last 10 years have shown great progress.

Tonga and Samoa will always be largely made up of heartitge players, the islands have small populations and Sydney has huge pockets of Somaon and Tongan communities that always make up the majority of the teams.

FYI, Stephen Crichton was born in Somoa, so they do have at least have 1 player born there :D
Go back and read....I didn't start it...someone else did...

If Fiji can develop local talent and play junior rep games, then why can't Samoa or Tonga?

You do sound like a union fan, have we uncovered your true following?
A toffball fan ? 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
Read some of my contributions in the yawnion forum in the fight club clown & see for yourself whether I am or not

Im defs a fan of exposing hypocrites ... & you're in my cross hairs krusty 😎

taste2taste

Juniors
Go back and read....I didn't start it...someone else did...

If Fiji can develop local talent and play junior rep games, then why can't Samoa or Tonga?
The conspiracy theorists in me thinks the push into Samoa and Tonga hasn't happened because there isn't a buck to be made.

Maybe a team in the NSW cup, like Fiji and PNG would help with growing the game...but then again how long did it take for the Silktails to get up and running ? Nearly a decade :(

Gobsmacked

Bench
I'd be good if we got more regular games between the nations of PNG, France, Wales, Ireland, Lebanon, Scotland and Fiji. All aspiring nations of similar calibre.
These are the internationals we need more of .

Gobsmacked

Bench
According to Wiki on the Samoan National Team there’s 12 Kiwi born, 10 Oz born and 2 Samoan born
And? So what? Those Island are tiny with tiny populations. The only way they ever become anything is by leaving. It's a testament to their parents ambition.
It's a unique part of the world.

Coastbloke

Bench
And? So what? Those Island are tiny with tiny populations. The only way they ever become anything is by leaving. It's a testament to their parents ambition.
It's a unique part of the world.

The comment was in relation to the oft repeated mantra of the Island teams being made up of all Western Sydney born players. They are mostly Kiwis with strong Island connections..Not Australian..

Perth Red

Post Whore
A toffball fan ? 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
Read some of my contributions in the yawnion forum in the fight club clown & see for yourself whether I am or not

Im defs a fan of exposing hypocrites ... & you're in my cross hairs krusty 😎
hates international rugby league, must be a kick and clap fan. I bet youre a secret Waratahs member.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Fact is nrl is full of players who were either born somewhere else or whose parents did. That’s something that’s a plus for the game tbh and not something to be embarrassed by. Sure be nice if fiji, samoa, Tonga etc had pro leagues but they don’t, yeh be nice if png club was in nrl but It’s unrealistic, be great if we had 4 French clubs in SL but we can’t. So it is what it is. Keep plugging away with the lower tiers, try and get the middle tiers up a level or two and accept that for the seeable future we are likely to continue to have 3 dominant countries. And just enjoy the celebration of the multi cultured game we have in rugby league.

Latest posts