What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Attention Idiots who love wringing their hands about "bad crowds" in the NRL.

jonno_knights

Juniors
Also you had a wooden spoon team in Newcastle, having won 1 game from 15 or so, still drawing 14,000 in Cyclonic conditions against North Queesland! (The game Mullen scored the Double).

When the wooden spoon team can average 18500 a game, despite having the worst start to the season in the modern era pretty much, crowds on the whole are going to look great.

Last edited:

newman

First Grade
lol, yeh a zero% rise in avg crowds over 8 years is to be celebrated! Only in Loudtart world. What that chart shows is that in the last 3 years the crowds are exactly the same in terms of sub 10k and over 20k. How the frick is that growth or success?

Avg game attendance
2012-16144
2011-16273
2010-16406
2009-16065
2005-16468

Looking at FACTS isn't deathriding it is being realistic at where we are at so we can get off our backsides and do something about it.

So every measurable, objective and empirical statistic supports my assertion that crowds are in good shape. Then factor in that the A League and AFL crowds are on a significant downward trend. But you are not happy with this state of affairs.

You really are not going to be happy until every club match is a sell out played in a major stadium are you? That's like me not being happy about not picking up a different supermodel every night. Dream world son. Dream world.

Perth Red

Post Whore
yes crowds are in good shape f you are measuring success be no reduction, I am a realist and the stats show that our crowds are static and have been for some time. Great that we aren't going down, if that is the sign of success for everyone then wonderful!

If you do things the sme you will get the same results seems to be an apt saying for the current crowd situation.

Don't expect sell outs every game but do expect to see increasing crowds every year (barring some natural disaster befalling the Eastern seaboard for 3 months).

Hopefully the ARLC think more like me and less like you and we see some good intiatives to get crowds growing over the coming seasons.

t-ba

Post Whore
Except they're up. We've gone from 14k to 15k to 16k.

They're inching up FFS...

Perth Red

Post Whore
yes they have been for inching for decades, which is great, but for the last 4 seasons the avg attendance per game hasn't moved.

BuffaloRules

Coach
2005 was just freakish. Three of Sydneys (at the time) four biggest clubs in the top 4, the lowest points total ever between the minor premiers and the spooners, a race right down to the wire for so position on the ladder, the rise of the tigers. Simply amazing season. I think my spine is tingling from the Saints v Tigers match in the finals. Maybe we should fix the draw so we can have another absolutely special season like that and get the crowds up hey?

I also believe that 2005 was an one of the driest winters in recent (50years) history in Sydney...

Ron Swanson

Juniors
All sports should be growing their attendances by 2% a year in line with the growth of our population in what is a mature sports market. The fact that NRL crowds have been stagnant at 16k means we haven't grown at all and there's no reason to celebrate.

newman

First Grade
Except they're up. We've gone from 14k to 15k to 16k.

They're inching up FFS...

While we get a record overall attendance for 2012.
And AFL and A League crowds are tracking downwards and have done for some time.

Loudstrat

Coach
Except the population growth is in new areas. There is probably new housing within 10km of n NRL ground in Campbelltown, Gold Coast and Canberra only.

newman

First Grade
yes crowds are in good shape f you are measuring success be no reduction, I am a realist and the stats show that our crowds are static and have been for some time. Great that we aren't going down, if that is the sign of success for everyone then wonderful! In this economic environment, when every other sport is down on attendances, it IS a good result. Why can't you see this?

If you do things the sme you will get the same results seems to be an apt saying for the current crowd situation. And the results are good.

Don't expect sell outs every game but do expect to see increasing crowds every year (barring some natural disaster befalling the Eastern seaboard for 3 months). And that is what you are seeing. There are more people attending NRL matches this year than any other in history (should things go according to plan this weekend).

Hopefully the ARLC think more like me and less like you and we see some good intiatives to get crowds growing over the coming seasons. The figures quoted in this thread would have any organisation feeling pleased. I haven't heard a peep from this administration about crowds being a problem. The previous administration gave crowds a big tick in the state of the game report. Who do you think they agree with, me or you?.

innerwestrabbit

Juniors
All sports should be growing their attendances by 2% a year in line with the growth of our population in what is a mature sports market. The fact that NRL crowds have been stagnant at 16k means we haven't grown at all and there's no reason to celebrate.

Not knowing what crowd attendances are relative to other codes and the growth rates they are getting it's hard to judge. It appears that Super rugby crowds are down in general, someone suggested that AFL crowds are down. What are crowd averages doing in the EPL and NFL etc. The point being is that economic conditions are tougher so perhaps no growth or little growth maybe performing very well based on current economic climate. You would think with fixed schedules, the exposure the games gets plus membership drive that attendances will increase.

t-ba

Post Whore
yes they have been for inching for decades, which is great, but for the last 4 seasons the avg attendance per game hasn't moved.

Umm...no they haven't. It took the game over 20 years to match the record average from 1968...crowds went up and down violently for the first 40 years that attendance records were kept. In terms of sustained growth, the top flight hasn't seen the steady growth of the last decade in its entire history.

It really does suck balls to be hovering around what would have been regarded as a simply impossible average 8 years ago...at a time when every other top flight football league in the region has recorded what amounts to atleast ten percent losses on their averages...

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
God im so glad the NSW government wasted so many millions on SKODA stadium, there is dead set 2000 people at the GWS game today, and 1500 are in blue supporting the opposition

newman

First Grade
The point being is that economic conditions are tougher so perhaps no growth or little growth maybe performing very well based on current economic climate. You would think with fixed schedules, the exposure the games gets plus membership drive that attendances will increase.

Exactly. Fact is Australian households are spooked by global economic conditions and have pulled the horns in on discretionary spending. Big time. The industries that feel this the most are Retail, hospitality and ENTERTAINMENT (which is the banner that sports attendances fall under). You can bet your bottom dollar that the AFL and A League would be happy to write off their backslide against the current economy. It's a minor miracle the NRL is up this year. But some deadshits on here think the games in a bad way because crowds don't improve by 10% a year. The game focuses its energy on tv ratings. There is more competition in Sydney and the Gold Coast from new football franchises, the economy is sucking...

Suitman

Post Whore
God im so glad the NSW government wasted so many millions on SKODA stadium, there is dead set 2000 people at the GWS game today, and 1500 are in blue supporting the opposition

lol at the crowd. Just saw it after your post.
Bet they announce more than 5000 though.

Suity

t-ba

Post Whore
Not knowing what crowd attendances are relative to other codes and the growth rates they are getting it's hard to judge. It appears that Super rugby crowds are down in general, someone suggested that AFL crowds are down. What are crowd averages doing in the EPL and NFL etc. The point being is that economic conditions are tougher so perhaps no growth or little growth maybe performing very well based on current economic climate. You would think with fixed schedules, the exposure the games gets plus membership drive that attendances will increase.

A-league pulled 14,610 in 07-08, they bottomed out to under 9000 in 2011-2012, and last season averaged 10,847.

As for the AFL, they've added two teams, they're crowds have gown from pushing 37,000 to just being a tad under 32,000. They're aggregate isn't going to be particularly impressive by their recent standards this year either...

Raiderdave

First Grade

theres no need to neck ourselves either
as has been said

we are the only code that hasn't experienced a drop in the last 5 years
our competitors all have
some quite alarmingly ....

perspective people
perspective :?

Billythekid

First Grade
I think over the course of the next 5 years now that the code is running on the smell of an oily rag we will see crowds rising. I think within 5 years we can eliminate essentially all sub 10K crowds and push towards a 18-19K average across the NRL. Will probably fall short of that but i'm feeling optimistic.