What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ATTN; techy geeks

StormChaser

First Grade
Firstly, why is there no techy specific section? Anyhoo, what free stuff would you recommend I download to make my puter faster/better?

It's being slow as a bitch lately and making me crazy/crazier and I cbf actually paying for anything good that works.

Kthx in advance!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Techie section is either "Computer and Video games" or "Go Ahead ask us anything"

Simple solution to your problem - run "Disk Defragmenter" (Start > Programs > Accessories) at least monthly if not more often.

adamkungl

Immortal
Format your hard drive and start again. By which I mean, get someone who knows what they're doing to do it for you.

Define slow....

Opening programs, performing tasks and stuff really slow or

Internet browser is the only thing that is slow

Or all of the above is slow?

Azkatro

First Grade
Think about it. Your computer is slow. Downloading/installing more sh*t is not going to make it faster. You need a hardcore nerd to get in the chair, delete some temp files, do a defrag, uninstall some rubbish programs, disable some sh*t Windows services like system restore (for pussies) and indexing, clean up your startup and remove crap like Adobe Updater, turn off rubbish like Windows Themes, the list goes on.

Or you could cheat and just create a new user for yourself. Bad thing is you have to set stuff up again. Good thing is it should be a lot faster. It's like a half arsed way to reinstall the whole thing from scratch and takes about 2 minutes.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Firstly, why is there no techy specific section? Anyhoo, what free stuff would you recommend I download to make my puter faster/better?

It's being slow as a bitch lately and making me crazy/crazier and I cbf actually paying for anything good that works.

Kthx in advance!
I'd be happy to come around and fix it for you.

If you have a second HDD move all your pictures, videos and music files onto it.

first, quickest and easiest step

Uninstall all the programs you don't use/need anymore

Remove temp files, cookies etc

do a HDD clean and defrag

Download a spyware cleaner (Spybot S & D is as good as any and its free) run it and clean the spyware sh*t off your pc.

Stop using Vista and upgrade to Windows 7 or roll back to XP

Man, there's a shirtload of crap you can do to speed it up.

perverse

Referee
don't all you pretty ladies have nerd guys that you lead on to do this sort of sh*t for you? lift your game, girly.

as for help, do the first bit of units post down to "quickest and easiest step", then kungls post, then units post from "download a spyware cleaner" onwards.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
don't all you pretty ladies have nerd guys that you lead on to do this sort of sh*t for you? lift your game, girly.

as for help, do the first bit of units post down to "quickest and easiest step", then kungls post, then units post from "download a spyware cleaner" onwards.

Wouldn't suggest a noob like stormchaser formatting her pc herself...have to worry about sh*t like drivers when you get it up and running again.

Martli

Coach
Also try a program called "C cleaner" - it deletes all the temp files that can accumulate and clog up your computer.

Skinner

Coach
You also may need to upgrade the memory...don't know what you currently have or what you might be running, but most these days need a minimum of a GB to run reasonably sharpish. Find a tech mate to have a look for you. Do the cleaning first, as others have suggested though. Martli's recommendation is a good one. It's one of the best I've used.

You also may need to upgrade the memory...don't know what you currently have or what you might be running, but most these days need a minimum of a GB to run reasonably sharpish. Find a tech mate to have a look for you. Do the cleaning first, as others have suggested though. Martli's recommendation is a good one. It's one of the best I've used.

This is a classic problem, especially if you are a newb and buy a PC from Harvey Norman or some such newb trap store.

I've know of several people who've scored a hot deal from Hardly Normal only to learn later the PC hasn't even got enough ram to run the os effectively.

Suggest you go to control panel -> system and take a screen dump of the general tab. Then post it up here so we can see what OS, Processor, version of windows you are working with.