What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auckland Nines

Nines

• Good

Votes: 59 88.1%
  • Meh

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Bad

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

applesauce

Bench
I would rather just have the 16 teams, with the addition of 4 bidding franchises that can field a team.

WA Pirates
CC Bear
CQ Capras
Ipswich Jets

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
If we are going to have a 7's or 9's, at least make it world wide like the 7's used to be, there are plenty more countries playing now and a lot of that has to do with the 7's from years gone. And that's the kicker, they shouldn't have stopped playing the tournament in the first place.

No. Its so Mickey Mouse.

Attach some prestige to it. NRL plus NSW & QLD Cup premiers and the top 6 SL sides, or something like that.

24 teams, 6 pools of four - 72 games over 2 or 3 days, then finals in a round robin format.

Its exciting. If they do it properly and clubs support it as such, it could become huge.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
If it as in Sydney it would make a lot of sense to have NRL teams to draw the club fans. But in Auckland I don't know how much support will be there for anyone other than the Warriors. They MUST make it an international invitational event. Get Tonga and Samoa teams and it will boost the crowd and fans would also enjoy seeing the likes of the USA, Fiji and maybe teams like NZ Maori.

I reckon I could get 12 of my mates to go with me every year. The dollar is strong and its a three hour flight to, basically, your brothers place for the weekend.

I think it'd be great. Good for the host city.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If hold it over 3 days. Fri and sat pool games, sun finals.

Wa origins side

1. Delane Edwards
2. Bronx Goodwin
3. Curtis rona
4. Isaac Thomas
5. Bryson Goodwin
6. Eddie Proudler
7. Daniel holdsworth
8. Cory Paterson
9. Jon green

Diesel

Referee
This will be good for Auckland but also Auckland and NZ rugby leagues.

Anything positive that is going to get a focus off RU in NZ is a good thing

roughyedspud

Coach
it should be a international teams only event...

but if australia wants to split itself into states & a Indigenous side...then thats fine by me

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...ds-nines-protest/story-e6frep5x-1226579797048

Wayne Bennett leads Nines protest

Andrew Webster
The Daily Telegraph
February 17, 2013 11:00PM

SOME of the biggest names in rugby league - with Wayne Bennett at the front of the queue - have condemned the $2.2 million Super Nines tournament because of the drain on elite players and its threat to the All Stars.

Having received tacit support from club bosses midway through last year, the lucrative plan reaches a critical step when it is presented at Wednesday's chief executives meeting in Sydney. But many coaches are already vehemently opposed to the tournament, which will be played in Auckland a week before the All Stars in early February.

Bennett's greatest fear is the burden on the game's superstars after the World Cup in England and Wales at the end of November.

"We've got the best TV deal we've ever had, and we got that because of what we produce," the Knights coach said.

"If we don't have a proper pre-season, that will impact enormously on all of us. It won't be a proper pre-season anyway, because of the World Cup. January is the most important time of the year for what we do as clubs.

"We'll have to compromise on that as it is now, so this will have consequences. If guys are under-prepared, suddenly you have multiple injuries and guys worn out long before they should be. This isn't life or death to our game. It's not practical in 2014."

Asked about the threat to the All Stars, Bennett - who has coached the NRL side since its inception four years ago - said: "There has been too much invested in that, too much hard work done, to walk away from that. Not when there's interest in it like there is. That's not negotiable."

Souths coach Michael Maguire said the fear of injury meant he would strongly consider stopping his best players from taking part in the Nines. "The vulnerability to injury would be huge," he said. "It's opening it up to disaster. I'm not going to expose my top-line players if they haven't got the work in before those sorts of games. If I've got someone like Greg Inglis or Sam Burgess playing up until the end of November, the last thing I want to do is have them playing at the end of January."

Roosters coach Trent Robinson said the Nines would be a "hindrance", while Panthers general manager Phil Gould was succinct with his thoughts. "Absolutely no interest whatsoever," Gould said.

Rugby league abandoned the World Sevens in 2004 after clubs blocked their best players from taking the field.

The previous season, Dragons captain Trent Barrett suffered a serious knee injury, prompting a furious response from coach Nathan Brown.

Kiwi promoter Dean Lonergan has hatched this concept, but it will be bankrolled by Tourism New Zealand, with $500,000 on offer to the winners.

NRL marketing director Paul Kind says the concept will only proceed if the clubs rubber-stamp it.

"The clubs should come to Wednesday's meeting with a position on whether they want it or not," Kind said. "It can only be successful with their support."

Perth Red

Post Whore
Typical self interest stunting the game, not like it is anything new.
Would it really be much of a imposition to have a nines team play 2 days over a weekend in February?

At end of day promoters should only invite clubs that are serious about taking part, the rest can stay at home and supplement it with SL or international sides.

MacDougall

First Grade
Yeah basically my stance is, what is good for the fans is good for the game. If the prize is greater than the friggin main comp then what the hell is the problem? As long the clubs boards and top dogs include the nines into their KPI's the coaches should just shut the hell up. And you can't tell me Gould wouldn't be enjoying the piss out of watching Shaun Johnson, Ben Barba, Benji Marshall, Billy Slater and co carving up the footy field with nine a side. They are all being old grumpy wankers quite frankly.

Clarke

Juniors
Wayne Bennett is even right on the money or so far off centre it's not funny.

The proposed NRL 9's (not RL 9's) will take place 2 weeks before the AllStar clash and is no threat to the annual event. It will also provide a huge increase in potential prize earnings for each club and give the fans another dose of RL before the seasons starts.

BazzaButt, there is no way clubs are going to be sending over junior or fringe players if the prize money is worth more than winning the NRL premiership.

it should be a international teams only event..

And what gives you the right to demand this?

but if australia wants to split itself into states & a Indigenous side...then thats fine by me

I think the promoters of this concept will do what's best for the proposed comp over what is fine by you.

This will be good for Auckland but also Auckland and NZ rugby leagues.

Anything positive that is going to get a focus off RU in NZ is a good thing

I hate the constant comparison between codes. For myself it's all about getting the attention onto RL not off any other sport.

Make it an invitational event. If the clubs don't take up the invitation, that's up to them. When it's on TV and the clubs who did go are winning and picking up prize money the ones who aren't there will have some tough questions to answer from fans and sponsors. I'd bet none of them would turn it down anyway.

Union got into the olympics on the back of 7s. That in turn will bring extra money into union worldwide. Governments as whole will invest more in union now that 7s is a olympic sport than it would have done before. The NRL clubs need to wake up and smell the coffee as regards the international game, and 9s comps. Its a licence to print money. The NRL clubs need to stop being so insular.

tumbidragon

First Grade
Just shut up Wayne! What's good for the fan’s, is what's good for the game. His conservative prehistoric side is shining through yet again. Don't hold back what could be an excellent international promoting product!
All Wayne’s points are moot anyway. "threat to the All stars"- when it's held 2 weeks before hand... "Strain on players and pre season prep"- it's a 1-2 day tournament with probably 9 min halves...
The BS about coaches withholding "star players" from the 9's is laughable with the amount T.V. exposure to their product, and the substantial prize money up for grabs. Don't let the backward and insular grumblings of the few out way the needs of the many. Shame on Gus,Maguire,Wayne and the nuffy Robinson.

Last edited:

Version 6

Staff member
Regardless of whether clubs field their topliners, a competition of any sort involving the clubs is a hell of a lot more interesting than the All Starzzzzzzzzzzz

Latest posts