What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auckland Nines

Nines

• Good

Votes: 59 88.1%
  • Meh

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Bad

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

shiznit

Coach
How good would it be if the Broncos had Karmichael Hunt as a wildcard or if a club like the Dragons signed Bryan Habana for the tournament.

As long as the clubs are still contractually obliged to provide 12 of they're top 25 and 1 of the top 5 then it's only gonna be positive IMO...

fourplay

Juniors
How is Brad Fittler that big of a "joke" move like some are claiming?

He's only 42 and is likely a stronger option in a halve/lock jersey than the under 20's/juniors other teams are playing. His ball playing skills and organisation will be a level above anyone else on the field. His presence alone will boost the rest of his team too.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Well said, fourplay.

Anyone would think it's a 42 year old Owen Craigie making a comeback rather than one of the greatest to ever lace a boot based on some reactions in this thread.

At 42 Freddy would still be better than most halves in the comp with a proper pre season under his belt.

firechild

First Grade
At 42 Freddy would still be better than most halves in the comp with a proper pre season under his belt.

This part is key. Roosters fans are talking as if this bloke is going to train for 6 months before an exhibition comp weekend. He'll have a few beers with the boys and run a few drills in the weeks beforehand. He's not going to be half the player he used to be. I like Fitler but I will enjoy seeing him get hammered by a prop half his age.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I would also suggest with unlimited interchange, Freddie will be fine.

A couple of minutes per game won't tax him to much. I look forward to that prop hitting him, then Freddie returns the favour by side stepping the same bloke with his famous side step then an off load to RTS for a run away try.

Danish

Referee
This part is key. Roosters fans are talking as if this bloke is going to train for 6 months before an exhibition comp weekend. He'll have a few beers with the boys and run a few drills in the weeks beforehand. He's not going to be half the player he used to be. I like Fitler but I will enjoy seeing him get hammered by a prop half his age.

Surely props would be the 2 first positions culled when you are reducing 13 down the 9.

Danish

Referee
I dunno, without being allowed to lay all over the ruck and slow it down (the ruck will be policed 2005 style you'd imagine) Fifita might find the pace of the game a bit much... Then again they are only 9 minute halves so I guess fitness won't really come into it.

When you think about it you'd have to be a pretty unfit to not be able to run around at full pace for what will likely amount to 2-3 minute stints for half the side.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I would sugget Danish that being able run and not have 4 blokes come at you might be a welcome change for the big men.

franklin2323

Immortal
Fifita will be a star for us.

How many props can out run a clubs backline? I struggle to think of a sharks back faster then him. Says alot about him and the Sharks backline really.

Generally backrowers will push up to prop. Some of the bigger backs move to the pack and get speed where you can out wide. So him, Graham and Burgess (IF you class him as a prop) will be the only forwards to play

RWB

Bench
Does Rugby League ever want to be taken seriously, or just be a boys club for the back slapping brigade?

This would have been allowed under Gallop, but there is no way the new admin will allow it.

This shit is typical of the small minded, cliquey nature of the game.

I don't get why you wouldnt give a young guy a chance to play, when they've already sold the event out. Let the quality if the game shine through and leave the ego's of the old players at the door.

Just ridiculous.

Probably because the large bulk of the Roosters squad will be in Sydney playing a trial on the same weekend in preparation for the World Club Challenge which falls on the following weekend.

Sending Freddy over means one less player we have to sacrifice from an already depleted squad in preparation for the WCC.

Small minds indeed.... The WCC means far more than this Nine's tournament.

Last edited:

user_nat

Coach
How many props can out run a clubs backline? I struggle to think of a sharks back faster then him. Says alot about him and the Sharks backline really.

Generally backrowers will push up to prop. Some of the bigger backs move to the pack and get speed where you can out wide. So him, Graham and Burgess (IF you class him as a prop) will be the only forwards to play

Pretty good chance Hannant is faster than Brisbanes backs.

But that's not really because he is fast.

Canard

Immortal
Not to mention it's f**king Nines.

People are talking about this like it's an Grand Final or an International selection.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee

I suspect we will play Fifita
Cowboys; Tamou
Manly; Lawrence
Souths; Burgess bros
Dragons; Merrin
Parra: Moi Moi
Dogs; Graham

So yes I see a place for a few big guys.

Canard

Immortal
In Townsville 97, guys like Kearney and Nikau were dominant. Lazo and Wiki were very handy also.

It's not as touch football as 7s.

hardbaby

Coach
Yeah most team's will have one bigger bloke who can tear up the middle. If you can suck in two or three defenders and have a fast dummy half, you will score every time. Big can be beautiful.

Latest posts