What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auckland Nines

Nines

• Good

Votes: 59 88.1%
  • Meh

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Bad

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

Joely01

Bench
This will be an absolute joke if Fittler plays.
I'd rather see a young 20s player come in, rather then a 42 year old, who will offer the game nothing this season.

RHCP

Bench
In Townsville 97, guys like Kearney and Nikau were dominant. Lazo and Wiki were very handy also.

It's not as touch football as 7s.

Yep, it will be a hard slog with a team which is too undersized.

Cuthbertson will get a run for the Knights I suspect.

This will be an absolute joke if Fittler plays.
I'd rather see a young 20s player come in, rather then a 42 year old, who will offer the game nothing this season.
Freddy Fittler maybe playing has drummed up more interest in this event than anything about it thus far besides the big prize money.

Joely01

Bench
Yep, it will be a hard slog with a team which is too undersized.

Cuthbertson will get a run for the Knights I suspect.

Freddy Fittler maybe playing has drummed up more interest in this event than anything about it thus far besides the big prize money.

Maybe for you, but I'm keen to see some attacking footy and see some of the younger guys given a run

tumbidragon

First Grade
This. No disrespect to the tourney as I fully support It and am going with a couple lads. But the news of Fittler playing has every1 that I know that are league fans talking about the 9's who weren't talking about It before. Just look at the pace of this thread and how much It's picked up since the news broke about Fittler.

Danish

Referee
Maybe for you, but I'm keen to see some attacking footy and see some of the younger guys given a run

And if the tournament organisers were happy to settle for U20s ratings levels I'm sure they'd oblige you.

They need a hell of a lot more eyes on it than that if its going to last more than 1 year though

BranVan3000

Coach
The 9s will fill a brilliant little niche in the market if they get some guys like Freddy, Lockyer and Johns playing

franklin2323

Immortal
Of course big guys will have a part to play. How many props are capable of quick play the balls? Or are effective at defence with the extra gaps available.

I can see teams starting like this: FB, Wing, Centre, Wing, Half, Hooker, Forward, Forward, Forward.

Most teams will use the backrowers as the only forwards. Though Burgess bros, Fifita, Graham etc will play most teams will use other tactics.

Paullyboy

Coach
Can't believe you merkins want this legend bullshit.

I will lose all interest in it if it happens.

Yeah we know, you've made it clear, move on.

There is no concept that will have universal support, actually to have majority support is a minor miracle. As such, I don't think anyone is all that concerned that you're not happy with this.

Danish

Referee
Can't believe you merkins want this legend bullshit.

I will lose all interest in it if it happens.

You are in the vast minority of people who want to see unknown U20s and reserve grade players run around as opposed to recognised legends of the game.

Most fans - especially the casual fan that this tournament and indeed the entire concept of 9s to begin with is aimed at - want to see household name players take the field in this tournament. That can be current stars (the top 5 and top 12 guarantees) or legends (hence the tremendous interest generated by Freddy's potential involvement).

Tommy Smith

Referee
Freddy would be better than 95% of the U20s players out there in the 9s. So what's the big deal? I thought some of you sooks would want the best playing.

But no, apparently seeing us send out Tyler Cornish instead would be far more thrilling.

So let's ask the average fan who they want to see - Tyler Cornish or Freddy Fittler in this tourny?

Tone83

Juniors
The freddy thing seems like win win to me. Either you like him, believe he still has what it takes and can't wait to see him carve up, or you think it's stupid and hilarious and can't wait to see him get his goofy geriatric ass cut in half. Either way it's a good thing. I lean more towards the latter for what it's worth.

Paullyboy

Coach
Freddy would be better than 95% of the U20s players out there in the 9s. So what's the big deal? I thought some of you sooks would want the best playing.

But no, apparently seeing us send out Tyler Cornish instead would be far more thrilling.

So let's ask the average fan who they want to see - Tyler Cornish or Freddy Fittler in this tourny?

Only one person seems to have an issue with it. No point directing your rant at everyone given that most people agree with your logic.

Having said that, I couldn't disagree more that Fittler is better than any U20 players in a 9's format. I assume you're just trolling, if so, you're a douche. If you're serious though, there is no way in hell a player in his 40's will have the fitness required to be a star at 9's. He'll be a great marketing gimmick, but anything more than that is incredibly ambitious thinking.

Danish

Referee
Only one person seems to have an issue with it. No point directing your rant at everyone given that most people agree with your logic.

Having said that, I couldn't disagree more that Fittler is better than any U20 players in a 9's format. I assume you're just trolling, if so, you're a douche. If you're serious though, there is no way in hell a player in his 40's will have the fitness required to be a star at 9's. He'll be a great marketing gimmick, but anything more than that is incredibly ambitious thinking.

9s requires less fitness than proper league IMO. For a start most forwards will play around 9-10 mins per half... That isn't asking much fitness wise

It's the lateral movement and acceleration that might trouble Freddy in defence, although his footwork would put him in good stead for attack

TheDalek079

Bench
What do you think will get more people watching? The Roosters play maker is

a) a niff nuff under 20s guy you've never heard of
b) Mitch Pearce
c) Brad Fittler.

Every day of the week (and twice on Sundays) it'll be c) Brad Fittler

Latest posts