What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auckland Nines

Nines

• Good

Votes: 59 88.1%
  • Meh

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Bad

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

Charlie124

First Grade
The difference is when your playing a trial, there is tangible benefits to be gained from it. Match fitness, combinations with halves and putting on some early form that can all translate into round 1.

Absolutely nothing about the 9's is translatable, with exception of maybe some confidence in getting some wins, but that would be eroded the moment you realised none of these sides were full strength.

I love the 9's, i really enjoyed the weekend and hope it sticks around but it's going to be hard when this happens.

The knights got paid 20k more than us to lose Mullen for 4 months... Im pretty happy with Stuarts decision to send a 2nd rate team and based on the attitude they played with clearly gave them only one instruction - "Dont get hurt"

what a stupid argument.

All the match fitness, building of combinations and early form means absolutely nothing if the player gets injured. Benefits gone. Whether its a trial game, a Nines game or a game of naked twister with your f**king dad, an injury is an injury that can happen to anyone at any time. So there is no difference whatsoever how or where the injury happens.

Parra

Referee
more injuries will happen playing 9s then Allstars. if i was a club coach i would prefer the Allstars concept because i would only be required to send two player compared to 9s. They need to make 1-2 million for wining 9s. its too much risk for sending a team to win few thousands Dolloars.

Money doesn't come into it. But your point is still valid. Why risk injury on pointless matches?

mxlegend99

Referee
If we're going to scrap anything that can injure a player outside of the regular season, there would be no representative matches, pre-season training or trials.

They all serve a purpose. Saying that trials offer more then the 9's is a ridiculous statement. Players get a 20 minute run, usually against a reserve grade quality side and the winners get nothing to show for it. The 9's might not directly translate to the NRL, but that hit out would still help in its own way and the winners get a fair chunk of money for it, as does anyone who participated in the finals. That beats being able to say you flogged some reserve grade side with your 10+ first grade players.

Card Shark

Immortal
Exact same thing could of happened if it was just a regular trial game weekend

True.

If the 9s are the last week of January, there will be more injuries in the 9s being the first competitive hit out of the year.

It's par for the course in every year of rugby league.

Canard

Immortal
I think the horse is bolted on this one.

After watching last weekends games, players are going to be keen to play next year (I reckon).

Injuries are part of it, I personally wouldn't have played someone like Coote (who is made of glass), but the guy was always going to get injured at some point so its just something a club has to deal with.

POPEYE

Coach
Over too many years of hard labour I've f**ked knees, kneck, wrist and ankle doing something I hated, if men can do what they love doing, want the adulation, money and security from League the darlings will have to chance injuries

BunniesMan

Immortal
The "they could get injured anytime" argument is senseless.

Ofcourse you can get injured getting out of bed. I recall a player doing an ACL tripping over his child a few years back.

But the higher your workload the more likely you are to get injured. The longer your season, the more games you play, the less rest you're allowed to have, the greater the chance of injury.

The workload of NRL players has become extreme in recent years. The season is getting longer and longer without any thought to the fact that players are not robots, there are limits to what it can take. The rate of serious pecs/hamstrings/acls has increased.

And that's before we even get to the fact that tendons and ligaments are being forced to carry greater and greater unnatural sized bodies. Their bodies are getting bigger, but the tendons and ligaments are the same ones that carried 90kg props and 70 kg halves a generation ago. Now they're carrying 95kg halves and 125 kg props.

POPEYE

Coach

Ofcourse you can get injured getting out of bed. I recall a player doing an ACL tripping over his child a few years back.

But the higher your workload the more likely you are to get injured. The longer your season, the more games you play, the less rest you're allowed to have, the greater the chance of injury.

The workload of NRL players has become extreme in recent years. The season is getting longer and longer without any thought to the fact that players are not robots, there are limits to what it can take. The rate of serious pecs/hamstrings/acls has increased.

And that's before we even get to the fact that tendons and ligaments are being forced to carry greater and greater unnatural sized bodies. Their bodies are getting bigger, but the tendons and ligaments are the same ones that carried 90kg props and 70 kg halves a generation ago. Now they're carrying 95kg halves and 125 kg props.

I'm with you BM, should we have less games or change the game itself so players can't get injured . . . we would have to call it by a different name in that case

Maybe we should try to prepare players appropriately for the rigors of different versions of the game.

Then again as the vast majority of players are seemingly adaptable we will have to go along with that old adage . . . survival of the fittest

Who wants to watch a sport that any f**king fool can play

Card Shark

Immortal
Obviously players have more muscle mass than days gone by & are growing taller & broader but I would expect internal body organs / components such as ligaments to grow proportionally with other parts of the body .

Charlie124

First Grade
Lol "higher workload". They play nine minute halves with unlimited interchange. Half the competition only played 4 games total, which your basic maths will tell you is less than one full game of nrl, split over two days. There are less bodies on the field, meaning less bodies in tackles and less defence altogether, it's a step up from touch footy for f**ks sake.

Players would've had a greater workload going to training that weekend or playing an extra trial.

nick87

Coach
SKD broke his jaw in the grand final. Coaches should rest their key players from Grand Finals so they don't get injured

that's such a ridiculously, stupid, hyperbolic response, it's a reflects so much more on you than it does anyone else.

Really childish stuff.

perverse

Referee
Being a supporter of one of the teams that has been stung the most by the Nines... I've gotta say I still love the concept.

I would be reluctant to send our MVP over next time, but I feel there must be a happy middle ground between mitigating risk to your key players and putting on a good show at the Nines.

There isn't a single bloke in our squad that could have gone down that would have been worse than Mullen for us. It was absolutely our worst case scenario - but it's the kind of injury that he could have easily done at training or in a trial, too. It's unfortunate, and it's pretty shattering to think we won't get him back until mid year. We have some "able" replacements that should be able to get us a few wins until he gets back, but they're certainly no Mullen. I've got no idea what we'll do without his kicking game.

Still, I can't help but be enthused and excited about the Nines concept. It was a great weekend of footy.

nick87

Coach
what a stupid argument.

All the match fitness, building of combinations and early form means absolutely nothing if the player gets injured. Benefits gone. Whether its a trial game, a Nines game or a game of naked twister with your f**king dad, an injury is an injury that can happen to anyone at any time. So there is no difference whatsoever how or where the injury happens.

Of course, but at least the benefits are there, if you get injured training for something real, you can deal with that, it happens.

But you get nothing out of the nines, nothing tangible can be translated to the 13 a side man. To my mind, that fact in itself very much makes a difference to how and where the injury happens

If im risking my star players, i want to be risking them for something that can HELP my side win a premiership, not risking them for something that even 5 days later most people have forgotten and moved on to more important things.

I was pleased when Stuart named a bare bones 9's team, i was pleased when the players selected played seemingly to avoid injury and for fun only, and i was pleased to hear they all returned home without so much as a bruised shin out of it. We got 110k for that. The knights got 130k and lost Mullen for maybe 4 months.

You reckon the knights wouldnt give that 20k back right now to get a healthy Mullen?
Naming a full strength team wouldnt even neccasarily result in a serious chance. The Dragons pretty much named every with an ounce of ability and they ran last.

These are the risks, some teams are willing to assume then, some aren't, im pleased Stuart was not willing to take that risk. The Raiders are going to be flat out winning football games full stength this year, let alone had we lost a player like Cornish or Wighton (had he played) for a long period.

But i want to make this clear, i am a fan of the concept, i want it to stick around. To me is was a good fun couple of days. But you've got to understand that some teams and coaches will take this thing seriously, and others wont. And their teams will deal with the consequences of that decision. That's the nature of the beast. Legislating like some have suggested to include more of the big stars is only going aliniate the teams and elite players who dont want to be involved, further from the idea and create more opposition to it.

If the product we saw last weekend is what we saw for the next 5 years, who would care? The product was great, basically every game was exciting, we got to see some young stars in the making in the place of older one.

The thing played itself out really well. I see no reason to change it but i wouldnt be suprised is a club like Newcastle change their attitude to it next year (i also wont be surprised if they dont), and that's the nature of it

Saint Doc

Coach
b217f4929291ef541425666430bc4ee3.jpg

franklin2323

Immortal
Lol "higher workload". They play nine minute halves with unlimited interchange. Half the competition only played 4 games total, which your basic maths will tell you is less than one full game of nrl, split over two days. There are less bodies on the field, meaning less bodies in tackles and less defence altogether, it's a step up from touch footy for f**ks sake.

Players would've had a greater workload going to training that weekend or playing an extra trial.

Yep. We are having a discussion in the Panthers forum about our injuries. We have roughly 16 in the club.... Only Nabuli, Jennings were done in the 9's.

Roberts, Soward and Cartwright at Training. Should we ban pre-season training?

franklin2323

Immortal

No wonder you like AFL you have no idea about RL.

Teams always play 3 trials. The rep players don't usually play until the 3rd week. look at the teams this week close to full strength. So it's not like we threw an extra week at them. It was instead of a trial weekend

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Now that the Auckland 9's have been a success, Im glad people are already thinking of taking the tournament to places where RL rarely gets a mention, or is virtually unknown.

Latest posts