What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auckland Nines

Nines

• Good

Votes: 59 88.1%
  • Meh

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Bad

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

Diesel

Referee
It's been funded by an Auckland consortium that's why it's in NZ.

Wellington will have the RU 7's
Auckland will have the RL 9's

flippikat

Bench
Something to watch out for might be the jerseys.

As it's summer I suppose many will stay away from dark colours if they can - will be interesting to see if any teams take the Tigers lead and get "one-off" jerseys designed just for the event.

I remember some interesting designs popped up back in the Sevens tournaments.
(Wasn't that white Roosters jersey with a blue & red striped V a sevens jersey?)

LJC

Juniors
Has anyone seen details of the Nine's tournament proposed for next year?
I am OK with it provided an "Indigenous" team is represented. Otherwise it's a slap in the face of the game it has replaced.(Allstars game) If it involves a good mix of clubs and representations from various parts it may be a winner. Always thought the International Sevens should never have been disguarded. Would like to know if is getting free to air TV coverage and PAY TV coverage? If so, it will be a positive move.
This may be a way of getting a more international feel to the game which can only be a good thing!

ek999

First Grade
I'm pretty sure it is the 16 NRL clubs only. No idea on TV coverage but someone will show it I'm sure

NK Arsenal

Juniors
All this talk about scrapping the All Stars for this, why not have the 9s one year and the all stars game the year after and so on.

Diesel

Referee
16 NRL clubs competing and I read Nine are showing it, but you can guarantee it'll be a 45 minute highlights package at 11:30pm on GEM, but Nine will justify it by saving its in HD

PARRA_FAN

Coach
16 NRL clubs competing and I read Nine are showing it, but you can guarantee it'll be a 45 minute highlights package at 11:30pm on GEM, but Nine will justify it by saving its in HD

Just like the 7s in 03 and 04.

Only the final was shown live, the rest of a highlights package.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://bigpondnews.com/articles/Sport/2013/08/08/Storms_Bellamy_says_no_to_NRL_Nines_894748.html

Storm's Bellamy says no to NRL Nines

Thursday, August 08, 2013 » 04:40pm

Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy says the only way his World Cup players will take part in the NRL Nines is if his club is threatened with a big fine or being thrown out of the competition.

Bellamy says his players' welfare comes first and he thinks the workload is already too much.

The inaugural NRL Nines event will be held in the pre-season on Feb 15 in Auckland.

'It just seems like we're creating more in each year,' Bellamy said.

'It makes a really big workload for our elite players, who play Origin and play for Australia.

'At some stage we've got to look after the welfare of our elite players and I don't think that's happening at the moment.'

Kangaroos and Storm fullback Billy Slater said earlier in the week he couldn't see himself playing in the Nines, with the World Cup final scheduled for November 30.

More than 100 NRL players will represent Australia, New Zealand, England, Papua New Guinea, Italy, Tonga and the Cook Islands at the World Cup.

The Storm could have up to eight players involved including Australian stars Slater, Cameron Smith and Cooper Cronk.

Bellamy backed Slater, adamant none of his representative players would take part.

'Unless we're going to get fined or thrown out of the comp or something there won't be any of our World Cup players playing in the Nines.'

The inclusion of the Nines, with $2.2m prizemoney, has come at the expense of the All Stars match.

Bellamy has been involved with the Indigenous All Stars and said he was disappointed to see it suspended until 2015.

'Something had to give I suppose but I was involved in the All Stars last year, in the camp with the Indigenous boys.

'I must say I really enjoyed that experience and I saw how important that was to the Indigenous boys.

'I'm pretty sad to be honest it's not going ahead.'

bad luck Bellamy you twat http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10906854

All 16 NRL clubs will compete and will be contractually obliged to field a designated number of star players.

Last edited:

bluey

Bench
Just allow clubs to field who ever they want.
Clubs who field top squads will get the dough.

gallagher

Juniors
The 9's is about 10 weeks after the world cup. I thought these professional athletes were super fit?

Card Shark

Immortal

I think this nines thing is dubious. Where's all the $ coming from?

TV will play a big part but the $ they are talking sounds unrealistic to me for organisers to achieve in sponsorships or gate takings & still cover expenses.