What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auckland Nines

Nines

• Good

Votes: 59 88.1%
  • Meh

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Bad

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

shiznit

Coach
Deserved favourites IMO...

But that means nothing considering it's really still unknown...

But Tomkins, Johnson & Hurrell alone would have been exciting enough...

Add in Laumape, the fish, tui Lolohea & tuimavave... WOW...

One obvious issue though.... Not many good defenders in there....

Last edited:

hitman82

Bench

:lol: I'm surprised to note Matagi and Tomkins are our oldest players at 25 and 24 respectively. The bulk of our squad is 19 - 22. Would have been awesome to play Mannering, Leuluai and Vatuvei... maybe even Mateo the jersey grabber

thorson1987

Coach
Excellent news.

http://www.nrl.com/extra-seats-for-sold-out-auckland-nines/tabid/10874/newsid/75991/default.aspx

Extra seats for sold-out Auckland Nines

NRL
7:32am Sat 25th January, 2014

Extra temporary seating will be installed at Eden Park for the Auckland Nines after the original 88,000 tickets for the February 15-16 event sold out.

Extra temporary seating will be installed at Eden Park to accommodate a further 1600 fans for the Dick Smith NRL Auckland Nines.

The move comes after the original 88,000 ticket allocation for the February 15-16 event sold out.

The temporary 'Diamond Seating' is in prime position – side-line in front of the North Stand and will go on sale through Ticketek on Tuesday 28 January at 9am (NZ time).

"The demand for tickets is showing no signs of slowing," said the tournament's Managing Director, Duco Events' David Higgins.

"So we have been working with Eden Park to put in extra seating.

"The position of the seats in front of the North Stand will provide some of the best viewing in the stadium so we urge people who want to purchase tickets to get in quickly."

The NRL's 16 clubs are competing for a record NZ $2.6 million in prize-money at the Eden Park event.

Mayor of Auckland, Len Brown, is thrilled to hear the latest event sales figures.

"A sell-out event in year one is remarkable. We've clearly struck a chord with the fans.

"What a great result for Duco Events, the NRL and Auckland in the first year of the Dick Smith NRL Auckland Nines.

The Mayor said that "Auckland's major event strategy provides the perfect platform to create a new event, and with the backing of the city, get it right the first time."

The ticket revenue already banked from the Dick Smith NRL Auckland Nines is a record for a rugby league event in New Zealand.

It is also the first time that Eden Park has sold out for a non All Blacks test match since 1991.

Mr Higgins said that's testament to the fact the concept was a winner from day one.

"The NRL and its teams have done some terrific work in Auckland for many years.

"Canberra was the first – way back in the 80s and 90s – to forge a relationship with Aucklanders. Then the likes of the Bulldogs and Manly followed. And then of course the Warriors came along..."

New Zealand's ties with NRL aren't, of course, just in Auckland

More than 10,000 supporters from outside of the City of Sails (including more than 5000 from Australia) have already bought tickets to the Dick Smith NRL Auckland Nines – the combination of the best rugby league talent playing in a meaningful tournament for a record prize pool whetting the appetite of fans on both sides of the Tasman.

• NOTE The new 1600 Diamond Seating allocation will go on sale on Tuesday 28 January at 9.00am (NZ time) through Ticketek.

Usain Bolt

Bench
Solomone Kata is just like Hurrell, both of them carved up the Auckland 1st XV comps with just sheer power. Kata is probably a better defender than Hurrell, can see him getting a shot at first grade this year if the Warriors get a few injuries out wide.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Solomone Kata is just like Hurrell, both of them carved up the Auckland 1st XV comps with just sheer power. Kata is probably a better defender than Hurrell, can see him getting a shot at first grade this year if the Warriors get a few injuries out wide.

More skill than Hurrell and not quite as powerful.
Kata played 2nd Five didnt he - so he can pass and kick.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Yeah he used to kick goals for Sacred Heart, I think he came over from the islands on a scholarship as well like Hurrell.

I reckon he could be the pick of the bunch (laumape, Hurrell) though I suppose the Warriors. He is dynamite - first year of league i assume.

With Hurrell, Laumape, Neilson in the centres - hopefully he is eyeing up a wing spot when injuries hit.

LJC

Juniors
Is the Nines being televised on free to air TV?

I would have thought Channel 9 would be smart enough to realize it will rate well?

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Is the Nines being televised on free to air TV?

I would have thought Channel 9 would be smart enough to realize it will rate well?
Fox is advertising that it is live and exclusive on Fox Sports.

ek999

First Grade
I don't blame 9 really. It's a new event over 2 full days without any guarantee of it being a ratings success. Plus there won't be much time for ad's throughout the day so they won't be able to make much ad revenue from it. It's an event that is perfectly suited for pay tv

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I don't blame 9 really. It's a new event over 2 full days without any guarantee of it being a ratings success. Plus there won't be much time for ad's throughout the day so they won't be able to make much ad revenue from it. It's an event that is perfectly suited for pay tv

I would have agreed if Nine didnt have like 6 digital channels.

If 10 had the rights theyd be wanking all over this on their sport channel. Nine dont care about NRL, they just dont want anyone else to have it.

Canard

Immortal

I assume Fox probably outbid them also?

As for the Ads, with the shortened halves and probably 5min breaks between matches it will be ads all over the shop. Surely??

Latest posts