What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aus RL in the movies!

Kingytek

Juniors
Not really that exciting but cool never the less.
Last night the missus got to pick the movie at the cinema's and we went and saw "Rumour Has It"
So anyway, they are at an Airport somewhere in the states and jennifer annisten is going up the escalater and at the top of the escalater you see a big guy wearing the Australian V jersey as shown below.
kangaroos%20ofa%20jersey_a.jpg

Calixte

First Grade
Interesting thread.

The great game does occasionally pop up on the big screen.

See last year's "Little Fish" - which was filled with rugby league references, albeit not all of them rosy and cheery.

But my pick is the excellent movie starring Richard Harris from the 1960s, "This Sporting Life", which is one of the great all-time sports movies. Much of it was shot at Wakefield Trinity's home ground when they were so dominant during the early 1960s.

Copa

Bench
oops

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,10627655-1702,00.html
Infamous fingers feature in film
By Peter Mitchell in Los Angeles
August 31, 2004

RUGBY League bad boy John Hopoate and his infamous onfield fingering scandal have been immortalised in a Hollywood film starring Alec Baldwin and Matthew Broderick.

The film, The Last Shot, has nothing to do with rugby league and its American writer-director Jeff Nathanson is not a fan of the sport and knows little about it.

Nathanson, however, thought a brief, out-of-the-blue mention about Hopoate's notorious 2001 finger probing incident in the offbeat, witty comedy would fit well in a scene, despite it having nothing to do with the context of the film.

In the scene Tony Shaloub, who plays an eccentric mobster, is watching a game on TV and begins ranting about how a player was banned for sticking his fingers in other players' rear ends.

BlindMan

Juniors
what about the cheery 'comedy' of 1998 up 'n under

that always gets me wanting to play rugbly at the weekend

screeny

Bench
BlindMan said:
what about the cheery 'comedy' of 1998 up 'n under

that always gets me wanting to play rugbly at the weekend

It always makes me want to turn thy telly off! It's crap.

This Sporting Life also featured the big screen debut of....oooooh, I've forgotten her name! British actress who went onto become a labour MP, or candidate at least. But, yes, a great, great piece of film, that.

Everyone says that Once Were Warriors has loads of league references in it but the only rugby references I have seen are when they're getting stoned and they say 'not an All Black in sight'.

roopy

Referee
They made a movie in Newcastle a few years ago called 'Bootmen', which was about tap dancers. To establih the 'macho' credentials of the dancers they had them playing for the Western Suburbs Rosellas (the Maggots as they are widely known) in the Newcastle comp. Also in that film Tony Butterfield had a small part as a hood - he said a few words and punched a guy.

Apparently Matt Johns has been doing a movie as 'Reg Reagan' (in a supporting role) which is due out some time this year.

brendothejet

First Grade
Places I've Shown My RL Jerseys:

St George: in front of the old bailey as a Dr acused of denying a woman a "right to choice" stepped out of the car to a scrum of media.

St George: at a rally between Jews and Palestinians IN ENGLAND. All over police archive cameras (five to be precise)

Newtown: behind dominic thornley as he was being interviewed for FOX sports after the 20/20 at north sydney oval.

Love it.

Go forth and get rugby league jerseys on TV I proclaim!

Calixte

First Grade
screeny said:
It always makes me want to turn thy telly off! It's crap.

This Sporting Life also featured the big screen debut of....oooooh, I've forgotten her name! British actress who went onto become a labour MP, or candidate at least. But, yes, a great, great piece of film, that.

Everyone says that Once Were Warriors has loads of league references in it but the only rugby references I have seen are when they're getting stoned and they say 'not an All Black in sight'.

Although it has been a while since I saw it, doesn't the big (acoustic) guitar playing guy in "Once Were Warriors" wear a Kiwi test jumper while strumming away?

(Happy to be corrected if wrong)

I saw once were warriors years ago and the only thing i remember is them sitting around with the TV on and there was a league game on - probably the old Auckland comp before the Warriors came into the NRL.

chileman

Coach
Kingytek said:
Not really that exciting but cool never the less.
Last night the missus got to pick the movie at the cinema's and we went and saw "Rumour Has It"
So anyway, they are at an Airport somewhere in the states and jennifer annisten is going up the escalater and at the top of the escalater you see a big guy wearing the Australian V jersey as shown below.
kangaroos%20ofa%20jersey_a.jpg
You let your missus pick the movies :eek: :lol:

screeny

Bench
East Coast Tiger, Calixte, you may both be right but things like that usually stick with me (I'm sad, you see) and I don't remember either of the RL references you allude to.

The guitar player, like everyone else, I think, is wearing a leather waist coat. There may be a league match on the telly, but I certainly don't remember it.

expansionist

Juniors
remember Adam Fogerty? The St Helens (cant remember who else) Prop - has has been in a few films including Brassed Off.
Not quite there with Vinne Jones, but its good for RL

Brendothejet - once again, i love your work

DACSSDOWN

Juniors
There was an American movie in the mid 80's "The sure thing", starring John Cusack as the main character. In this he wears an Australian Rugby League jersey.

screeny said:
East Coast Tiger, Calixte, you may both be right but things like that usually stick with me (I'm sad, you see) and I don't remember either of the RL references you allude to.

The guitar player, like everyone else, I think, is wearing a leather waist coat. There may be a league match on the telly, but I certainly don't remember it.

Now that I think of it wasn't there a sequel to Once Were Warriors? I think the telly scene was in that.

brendothejet

First Grade
expansionist - just doing my job.

maybe LU should start a comp with a prize to the person who gets a RL jersey on the TV or in a fim in the most prominent place.

flamin

Juniors
There's an NRL game on the tv in the background on Lost in the episode where Sawyer meets Jack's father in a pub in Sydney.