What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aussie to tryout for the Cowboys

DC_fan

Coach
http://startelegramsports.typepad.com/cowboys/2010/05/olympic-sprinter-to-tryout-for-cowboys.html

Olympic sprinter to tryout for Cowboys

The Cowboys had great success with one Olympic sprinter. Gold medalist Bob Hayes, once dubbed the fastest man in the world, went on to Hall of Fame success in the NFL. It appears that they'll try it again. Australian Josh Ross, who ran the 100-meter dash at the 2004 Games (10.22), told Australian newspaper The Age that he has a workout with the Cowboys.

"I realize there's a long, long way to go yet, but I'm determined to show them what I can do," Ross told the newspaper. "It will be very competitive over there, but it's not at all daunting for me. I'm used to that kind of pressure."

Speed, as we know, does not always translate to NFL success. Eastern Kentucky receiver Rondel Melendez ran an electronic-timed record 4.24 in the 40-yard dash at the combine in 1999. Who? He was fast, but not good enough to play in the NFL.

-- Charean Williams

Read more: http://startelegramsports.typepad.c...nter-to-tryout-for-cowboys.html#ixzz0pbHEo3m3

DC_fan

Coach
I wish him the best, but I don't see him making it. While he has a ton of speed, he is 29 and never played the game.

Monk

Referee
best of luck, cant believe he got to try out, he must have something special.

Cupid Stunt

A tryout & a workout, AFAIK, are two different things. Not playing semantics but I thought a workout was just a lightish session in front of a few of the lesser staff. Sort of a glorified warm-up versus a try-out which is, well a try-out, something where you stand a chance at gaining a nominated place. I can't imagine to many clubs that would turn down a look at an olympic athlete when he is showing up for free.

Now if the Cowgirls have come knocking on his door & paid his flights etc that's a whole other story...

Jocko

Juniors
Good luck to him, don't know how he'd go or if he'd even make it past the first few stages of the drafting process. But still the Cowboys could use a bit of speed, but if he lacks in tecnique, he can't make it all up in speed.