What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aust v India test series discussion thread

TheParraboy

Staff member
Probably too early to make a game day test thread, a bit going on id say before the first test with Sheffield shield games and also the 5 one dayers v SA.

For starters Dhoni is out and Kholi is captain for the first test in Brisbane

Question is Dhoni injured or just being rested?

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia-v-india-2014-15/content/story/796109.html

Karnataka batsman KL Rahul and Railways legspinner Karn Sharma have been picked in India's squad for the four-match Test series against Australia, along with Suresh Raina, who last played a Test for India in September 2012. MS Dhoni's unavailability for the first Test meant that the selectors picked Naman Ojha as cover for Wriddhiman Saha in Brisbane.

Raina, who made his Test debut in 2010, began his career with a series of bright knocks, but lost his place after the 2011 England tour. He made a comeback in the home series against New Zealand in 2012-13 but was out of the side again after scores of 3, 55 and 0.

He had briefly lost his one-day place earlier this year, but he firmed up his place with a strong showing in the ODIs against England. In 16 ODIs this year, Raina has scored 528 runs at an average of 40.61, including a series tally of 160 runs in four games in England.

It is understood that team director Ravi Shastri, who has referred to Raina's return to the Test team as his "endeavour", played a big role in his inclusion. Shastri pressed for Raina's selection and the selectors, who have been impressed with his ODI form, decided to give him "one last chance".

Rahul was seen as a leading contender for the reserve opener's spot following consistent performances in domestic cricket and many, including former India captain Rahul Dravid had backed his selection. The 22-year-old Karnataka batsman was the second-highest run-getter in the 2013-14 first-class season, scoring 1158 runs at 52.63. His performances were key to Karnataka's Ranji Trophy triumph and he carried his form into this season, too, slamming a century in each innings of the Duleep Trophy final in New Delhi for South Zone. Rahul had toured Australia earlier this year with the India A squad, scoring 101 runs in two first-class games against Australia A.

India's spin attack, centered around R Ashwin and Ravindra Jadeja, has been bolstered by the inclusion of Karn, who had recently made his international debut in a T20 against England. The Meerut-based legspinner who hit the headlines for his performances in IPL 2013, has played 34 first-class matches since 2007, taking 66 wickets. Karn was also picked in the squad for the last two ODIs of the five-match series against Sri Lanka, in which India have an unassailable 3-0 lead.

The selectors have picked five pace bowlers in Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Mohammed Shami, Ishant Sharma, Umesh Yadav and Varun Aaron, though a few of them have been struggling with fitness issues. Bhuvneshwar was rested for the ODI series against Sri Lanka, but Shami and Aaron have suffered injuries. While Shami's injury was not specified, Aaron injured his right leg in the first ODI of the series in Cuttack. Ishant, on the other hand, bowled only four overs in the third ODI in Hyderabad, due to a stiff back and was not considered for the last two ODIs against Sri Lanka.

India's Test squad for Australia MS Dhoni (capt), Virat Kohli, Shikhar Dhawan, M Vijay, KL Rahul, Cheteshwar Pujara, Ajinkya Rahane, Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Wriddhiman Saha, Naman Ojha*, R Ashwin, Karn Sharma, Ravindra Jadeja, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Mohammed Shami, Ishant Sharma, Umesh Yadav, Varun Aaron
*Ojha has been included only for the first Test.

Red Bear

Referee
Hopefully Hartley comes in, failing that Nevill, should Haddin not be fit. Although given Haddins recent performances - last nine innings 0, 9, 1, 13, 3no, 22, 0, 10 and 13, 7 of his past nine dismissals bowled - there should be serious consideration of his place regardless of fitness.

Bazal

Post Whore
Nevill would be the obvious choice IMO. Hartley was the better gloveman a few years ago, but not so any more IMO. And he's not a top quality batsman.

Watson needs to bat 3 if Clarke isn't comfortable there. Rate him or not, he brings experience and has done a lot better than most openers/threes over the last few years.

Warner
Rogers
Watson
Smith
Clarke
Marsh/Nevill
Haddin/Marsh
Johnson
Harris
Hazlewood
Lyon/O'Keefe

Tommy Smith

Referee
I don't believe Australia can carry both Watson and Mitch Marsh. Do you really need 6 bowling options?

Or are you saying that Mitch Marsh, who averages 28 with the bat in FC cricket, is one of the six best bats in Australia?

If so, then some very tough times are ahead (not against the Indians in Australia of course).

Bazal

Post Whore
Personally I think Watson needs to play as a batsman, moreso than Marsh as the "all rounder", and should be considered a batsman who may bowl a little. I think (as much as I hate to say it) Watson is the best option at 3 at the moment.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Watson cant bowl over 120ks atm. I'd leave him out for Marsh who showed some ticker against the Pakis.

Dhoni has a thumb fracture according to the ABC news this morning.

TheParraboy

Staff member
They have been reporting that Dhoni has a forearm injury

Watson cant bowl over 120ks atm. I'd leave him out for Marsh who showed some ticker against the Pakis.

Dhoni has a thumb fracture according to the ABC news this morning.

Maybe a wrist injury as well? that's apparently the official line from the wholesome and honest BCCI (read below)

though the article also below seems to think there might be no injury

I can smell 4-0 its not funny

Is Dhoni missing Test as preventive measure?

By K.R. Nayar. Chief Cricket Writer
Published: 19:18 November 10, 2014

Dubai: Speculation is rife over Indian skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni missing the first Test against Australia in Brisbane in the light of the hearing of Justice Mukul Mudgal Committee’s report on the Indian Premier League (IPL) spot-fixing case, to be held on November 14. Vice-captain Virat Kohli will lead the team in the first Test.

The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) stated that Dhoni has been rested for the first Test as a “prophylactic measure to ensure optimum recovery” from his wrist injury which kept him out of the recent One-day series against Sri Lanka. Insiders of Indian cricket feel that he is being rested as a preventive measure against any adverse remark about him in the Mudgal Committee report.

Dhoni is the captain of the Chennai Super Kings, which is at the centre of the controversy due to the allegations of betting against Gurunath Meiyappan, the erstwhile team Principal who was arrested in the spot-fixing scandal. According to information, Dhoni had described Meiyappan as just an enthusiast in his deposition before the probe panel — which tantamounts to lying.

The International Cricket Council (ICC) chairman N. Srinivasan is the father-in-law of Meyippan, apart from being the managing director of Indian Cements that owns Chennai Super Kings team and hence has come under the scanner along with Dhoni. Following the scandal, the court had barred Srinivasan from carrying out his duties as president of the BCCI till the verdict on the scandal, but did not stop him from heading the ICC.

http://gulfnews.com/sport/cricket/is-dhoni-missing-test-as-preventive-measure-1.1410653

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I think Mash has the potential to become a better batsman than his current first class average of 28. I'm pretty sure Twatson will be picked at 3, I've got no issue with Mash at six as long as the selectors see them both as Batsmen who can bowl a bit and not as allrounders who are expected to bowl a lot of overs and score runs.

Dhoni being injured may be a blessing for India. His batting in tests isn't much chop and his keeping is passable at best.

Bazal

Post Whore
I think Mash has the potential to become a better batsman than his current first class average of 28. I'm pretty sure Twatson will be picked at 3, I've got no issue with Mash at six as long as the selectors see them both as Batsmen who can bowl a bit and not as allrounders who are expected to bowl a lot of overs and score runs.

Dhoni being injured may be a blessing for India. His batting in tests isn't much chop and his keeping is passable at best.

Dhoni is also a shit captain. Kohli is an absolute merkin of a bloke but his captaincy so far has looked superior to Dhoni.

Watson is the only viable option at 3 IMO

8Ball

First Grade
No need to panic in my opinion.

1. Warner
2. Rogers
3. Watson
4. Clarke
5. Smith
6. Marsh
7. Haddin
8. Johnson
9. Siddle
10. Harris (If fit, otherwise, Cummins)
11. Lyon

Rogers stays. I'm not sure what the average opening partnership between him and Warner is, but it seems to be quite high (particularly given the issues we had with finding a good opening combination before that). They complement each other extremely well. I don't think Warner finding serious form whilst Rogers has been his partner is a coincidence.

Watson, comes in cause he averages around 40 at 3. No one else in Australia is capable of doing that at the moment

Smith and Clarke..No explanation needed. Although I'd be considering switching the two around for India. Clarke clearly makes a lot more runs at 5, and Smith is ready to take on more responsibility.

Marsh because he seems to have a lot of potential. Learns after every match he plays, and adds an extra option with the ball.

Haddin if fit. I don't think any of the other keepers in Australia are quite ready yet, although this is probably his last summer.

Johnson and Harris self explanatory. Siddle should probably be given 2-3 tests. I don't think its fair to judge him on two tests on those pitches. Apart from Johnson, no other pacemen looked the least bit threatening on either side. Cummins should come in if Harris isn't fit or if Siddle looks ordinary. With Marsh and Watson in the side, his workload can be managed after returning from injury.

Lyon cause well..who the f**k else..? O'Keefe didn't look any better than Lyon against international class batsmen I'm afraid..

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Turner, Sandhu headline CA XI squad
cricket.com.au
Young guns get first crack at touring Indians

Western Australian allrounder Ashton Turner will captain a Cricket Australia XI to face India in the first of two tour matches in Adelaide later this month. Turner, 21, has played eight-first-class matches and captained the CA XI to victory in a T20 match against South Africa earlier this month. The squad also includes highly-rated NSW Blues fast bowler Gurinder Sandhu and in-form MyFoot Dr Queensland Bulls batsmen Nick Stevens. "This will be another great opportunity for captain Ashton Turner, who has great leadership potential," said CA's National Talent Manager Greg Chappell. "He recently captained a CA XI side to victory over South Africa in a T20 tour match, in which he also performed admirably with the bat. "Gurinder Sandhu is a highly-regarded fast bowler who has performed consistently well at domestic level and underage international level. "He was very impressive in the two four-day matches against South Africa A in August this year and we expect that he will perform well against this high quality team. "Nick Stevens has been in good touch with the bat for Queensland this season, most notably he made his maiden first-class century with his knock of 158 against South Australia in the first round of the Bupa Sheffield Shield." The two-day match, to be played on November 24-25, will be a warm-up for India ahead of the first Test against Australia at the Gabba, which starts on December 4. It coincides with a round of Sheffield Shield matches, which start on November 25. It will be played at Gliderol Stadium in the beachside Adelaide suburb of Glenelg before a second two-day match will be played at Adelaide Oval on November 28-29. The CA XI will be coached by Bupa NCC Head Coach Troy Cooley, while Bupa NCC High Performance Coach and former England batsman Graeme Hick will act as assistant coach. Chappell will manage the side.

CA XI SQUAD
Ashton Turner (WA) (c), Ryan Carters (NSW), Alex Gregory (SA), Sam Grimwade (VIC), Sebastian Gotch (VIC), Josh Lalor (NSW), David Moody (WA), Jonte Pattison (NSW), Gurinder Sandhu (NSW), Matthew Short (VIC), Kelvin Smith (SA), Nick Stevens (QLD)

INDIA SQUAD
Mahendra Singh Dhoni (c), Virat Kohli, Shikhar Dhawan, Murali Vijay, Lokesh Rahul, Cheteshwar Pujara, Ajinkya Rahane, Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Wriddhiman Saha, Naman Ojha, Ravichandran Ashwin, Karn Sharma, Ravindra Jadeja, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Mohammed Shami, Ishant Sharma, Umesh Yadav, Varun Aaron.

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/cric...ur-match-against-india-in-adelaide/2014-11-13

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not even convinced Siddle deserves to hold his place in the side anymore

TheParraboy

Staff member
3rd or 4th string Aussie team, not to mention the coaching staff

Should be a side from the academy captained by Phil Hughes with Maxwell as the deputy.

Im pissed of Blues will be without Carters , Sandhu and Lalor for a Shield game

Rabbits20

Immortal
I'm not even convinced Siddle deserves to hold his place in the side anymore

Siddle deserves the first 2 test matches. If he doesn't take many wickets they will drop him.

I think he will step up. But playing India in Australia won't be a fair reflection on where Siddle is at.

Bazal

Post Whore
They should be over. He's got a lot of heart but we simply have more talented bowlers, particularly in Australian conditions. Johnson, Harris, Pattinson, Hazlewood, Cummins, Coulter-Nile, Starc, are all at least as good but offer more upside. IMO anyway. I'm probably forgetting someone too.