What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aust Vs SL - 2nd Final (Sydney)

TheParraboy

Staff member
http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/australia/content/story/236604.html

Shaken Aussies in must-win situation

AFP

February 11, 2006

Australia may have paid the price for underestimating the Sri Lankan fielding © Getty Images

Australia have crashed from unbeatable favourites to facing a must-win match on Sunday against a rejuvenated Sri Lanka to prevent losing a home triangular one-day cricket series for the first time in 13 years.

John Buchanan, the Australia coach, said the team must brace for the consequences if it loses the VB Series finals to unfancied Sri Lanka, after the humiliation of five run outs and a stumping in their innings of 252 against Sri Lanka's 274 for 8 at the Adelaide Oval on Friday.

"There would be some fallout if Australia lost the series 2-0, no doubt about that at all," Buchanan conceded. "(But) the more cut-throat or the more challenging or the more knock-out it is, that's all good for us because we're going to face it in eight months' time in the ICC (Champions Trophy) and soon after that hopefully in the World Cup."

Another factor in Australia's shock loss on Friday was the hemorrhaging of 54 runs in the final five overs of Sri Lanka's innings to give them a competitive total for the Aussies to chase under lights.

"Reflecting on last night there were a couple of things, our last five overs went for 50-odd runs which you'd expect them to go for a number of runs but probably not as many as that," Buchanan said. "Those 50 runs hurt us a little bit but even then, 270 was a reasonable total to chase if we got our foundation right. Then obviously we committed suicide not once but four times early, so we made it very difficult for ourselves to get that foundation."

Ponting blamed the leaking of the last five overs as "not good enough", and left open the possibility that fast bowler Mick Lewis might come into the starting 11 at the SCG. Buchanan agreed but to do that selectors would have to drop a New South Welshman -- Stuart Clark or Nathan Bracken -- for a match at their home venue.

"I wouldn't expect the selectors to necessarily jump all over it and say we need a lot of change, but Mick Lewis has been brought into the squad for (his ability in the closing overs)," said Buchanan. "Whether there's scope for him to come in, I think the selectors will certainly have a chat with Ricky and myself."

One possible cause of the run outs was an underestimation of Sri Lanka in the field with athletic Tillekeratne Dilshan having a hand in four of the five run outs with some breathtaking ground fielding.

Brad Hogg, Australian left-arm spinner, said ground fielding was an area in which the Sri Lankans had made great improvement under Tom Moody, their coach and his assistant, renowned fielder Trevor Penney.

Hogg said, "I think where we've dominated the last few years is our fielding and I think they've picked up in their standard."

The Sri Lankans are on the threshold of a momentous series victory at the SCG which suits the spin of Muttiah Muralitharan.

"Sri Lanka has had success there and Sanath Jayasuriya has had a lot of personal success there. Obviously it doesn't guarantee success on Sunday but he is in good form and I'm sure he's looking forward to seeing the Sydney wicket again," Moody said. "The guys enjoy Sydney, it's a great cricket ground. It's obviously a big match for both teams because Australia have got to bounce back and I am sure they will do - they're a class outfit."

Look at the bright side if we lose

Guys like Jaques will come into the side :D ....we hope :?

_goParra

Juniors
Ahhh.... finally a competative VB finals series. Frankly I think SL's win on friday has breathed new lease of life into what could have been a very predictable win for Aus.

Meanwhile katich out LBW vaas for 1