What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia and New Zealand withdraw from RLWC

Russ

Juniors
Well the withdrawal from the RLWC has done two good things: increased coverage for the event (which given the English media outlets would never have been achieved without it) and everyone who loves the Game has become energised once again.

It has also made clear who champions International RL and who doesn't.

In my opinion a several year break from all International RL between the hemispheres might be a good move forward.

Imagine being in a war alongside him in the feckin' trenches ? Jeez :rolleyes:
this is a different type of war though, ffs! this is about dealing with loneliness and things like that, most of us are fighting our own "little" wars through this, as many of us do day to day in any case, even before Covid struck, like me, I take anti-depressants, and have done off and on since I've been 21 years of age.

This is not about protecting the players, it's about protecting vulnerable people who could catch Covid from the players and other healthy ppl on tour. And it's not fair on the SH players having to isolate so much, England would have an unfair advantage. Like Denmark did v Wales in the last 16 of the Euros.

FearTheVee!

Juniors
this is a different type of war though, ffs! this is about dealing with loneliness and things like that, most of us are fighting our own "little" wars through this, as many of us do day to day in any case, even before Covid struck, like me, I take anti-depressants, and have done off and on since I've been 21 years of age.

This is not about protecting the players, it's about protecting vulnerable people who could catch Covid from the players and other healthy ppl on tour. And it's not fair on the SH players having to isolate so much, England would have an unfair advantage. Like Denmark did v Wales in the last 16 of the Euros.
Why would England have an unfair advantage? Are there different bubbles for England and the other teams?

Gomersall

Juniors

Lonelines! The NRL players have got their families with them now haven’t they?

Rod

Bench

Do you have any idea how pathetic you sound? Catching it from the players? WTF are you talking about.

Russ

Juniors
There's a lot of dead ends and silly suggestions on most forums, as well as the usual bit of anger. Many of these are just covid related ideas, more herd insanity than immunity. But there needs to be a period without England v NZ or the 'Roos simply because of the irrelevance that too many of those with a say feel about this now. If this were done and England were stuck in the Northern Hemisphere having to sort Internationals without those two it may provide both the platform and the motivation to perform and act with a sense of RL as a whole

No. You need to study WWII a little more. There are two sides to every story. In the past RU teams have usually stayed in more expensive hotels. We're in a pandemic, Oz is in a state of panic I suppose.
So union didn't get into bed with the Nazis then? That's the union coming out with you
I suggest you stop trolling here and join union people on a union board

Perth Red

Post Whore
I
Well the withdrawal from the RLWC has done two good things: increased coverage for the event (which given the English media outlets would never have been achieved without it) and everyone who loves the Game has become energised once again.

It has also made clear who champions International RL and who doesn't.

In my opinion a several year break from all International RL between the hemispheres might be a good move forward.
Id rather see England and France focus on gettting games against PI’s and PNG sides over next few years and leave aus and nz to play with each other in their own little bubble.

Russ

Juniors
I'd come round to that too to be honest but if the doors were closed the likelihood is that the NRL would refuse to let any PI players to attend tests and any English ones as well.

They've always been much better at turning the screw and playing tit for tat!

Russ

Juniors
The call for a ban is interesting, provocative and stark.

The behaviour of the NRL in this is great if you agree with them and appaling if you don't.

The four minutes no.tice or however long it was is an indication of a lot of things about what is important and what isn't.

There was some mention of kick&clap and nazis which is an interesting parallel if it's measured in degrees of arrogance

Do you have any idea how pathetic you sound? Catching it from the players? WTF are you talking about.
that's the issue, healthy people giving it to vulnerable people. i said last year this feels like a two year thing. we should be starting to get back to some sort of normality next March.

Russ

Juniors
The concentration on Covid is a red herring on the whole.

The NRL made the decision based more on what the needs of the NRL were rather than the pandemic.

They walked away from the RLWC and then expected it to be delayed to when it suited them Covid is the cover for that and a very useful one.

So union didn't get into bed with the Nazis then? That's the union coming out with you
I suggest you stop trolling here and join union people on a union board
RU should get rid of the scrum, line-out and allow people to take players off the side of a maul, I'm not welcome onto RU forums. Re. WWII, Marshal Petain didn't want another blood bath, WWI was meant to be the war to end all wars, WWII only happened due to how WWI ended. Some say France hasn't recovered from getting rid of their monarchy, and WWI was well...

Russ

Juniors
Welsh RL & ru

That's quite a number of historical partial truths in the ramble were you leading anywhere or did you have too much on your mind to get out at any one time?

The effects and in some cases the continuation of RU in France and what it gets up to is not related to the ancien regime nor the paintings in the caves at Lascaux. They are very real and extremely contemporary and lasting.

RU should get rid of the scrum, line-out and allow people to take players off the side of a maul, I'm not welcome onto RU forums. Re. WWII, Marshal Petain didn't want another blood bath, WWI was meant to be the war to end all wars, WWII only happened due to how WWI ended. Some say France hasn't recovered from getting rid of their monarchy, and WWI was well...

Perth Red

Post Whore
RU is an international based sport. the 2000 RLWC made a huge loss. I've read that the 2017 WC didn't make much money, where are the accounts for that? The 2019 RUWC apparently made 57 million quid. As I've said before, we should have a WC that is over 4 years as they used to be in the 80's. The health risk for RL staff, players and their families who they might give it too when they return from slightly is not worth it. The Wallabies are only up here for three matches, and they will be looked after better than what the 'Roos will be looked after. I've seen the hotels the 'Roos have stayed in over the years, and where they have trained, the RU teams have stayed and trained at higher quality places. Also how much isolating have the Wallabies been doing recently?
Its not surprising it doesnt make money when the people in charge of it continually demean it. Something only has value if you believe it then can convince others its worth something!! If the NRl and media put half as much effort into the last RLWC as they do Origin it would have been massive and funded the IRLC's work for years. At the moment International RL from an Australian perspective is a self fulfilling prophecy.

I flew over to Brisbane for the lasdt RLWC final, which was a great game, and was dismayed that Suncorp wasnt close to being full. In a RL mad city like Brisbane, it was embarrassing for the game and the ARLC organisers and reflected how little effort they put into the tournament. The England game in Perth should have sold out easily with number of poms here but zero advertising or promotions meant the stadium was only 75% full. That's over $1/2 million in revenue they missed out on, multiply that by the other fixtures and its not hard to see why it didnt make much money.

Last edited: