What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia and New Zealand withdraw from RLWC

LeagueXIII

First Grade
So that sucks. It gets really hard to be interested in the International game when there is obvious disdain from within the sport itself.
It's only disdain from oafs like Gould, V'landys etc. They will do anything to protect Origin. 85% of players were willing to go, hence why at the 11th hour the clubs put out their statement. Otherwise it would be on.

On the bright side hopefully that stupid six again rule will be gone by next year as the smaller nations would have struggled against the big boys with that.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Well it appears that the WC will be postponed till 2022, I had tickets and was looking forward to it. As a Pom it seems to me, reading on this forum, that the NRL is far more important to the Aussies and Kiwis than an international WC and are putting their own interests first. I could be wrong but just my own thoughts, a real shame as there has been alot of money spent on organising the tournament so far. It may be difficult in gaining interest next year with the football WC in Qatar being staged at a similar time, for those who don't know football is king in the UK.

I wonder how mighty Origin would go up against a Socceroos game in the World Cup, I know what I would be watching and they wouldn't be wearing any blue or maroon.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
And whose fault is that?

Can you blame the NRL for not being interested in internationals when they’ve struggled to give away tickets to internationals in Australia for the last 20 years?

I mean is it the NRL’s fault that England/Britain have been totally uncompetitive for 30-40 years now?

Is it the NRL’s fault that the RFL haven’t independently produced a star player that is recognisable outside of the North of England since the 80s?

If you want the NRL (and clubs) to take internationals seriously then they need to make a significant financial return for them, otherwise they’ll focus on the products that do make a return instead.

Does Australia compete with the Premier League or a strong rugby union?

A strong international game is good for the whole game. If australia only want to make a profit from everything they have no right to even suggest running the international game. Small minded Australians running the game, no thanks.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Is that you Gus?
Do you remember the score from the last world cup 6-0 to aus over england & could of been level? We could dissect every game Aus has played over the past 30 years what does that prove? The last 4 internationals Aus has played they have won 2 lost 2. Some say there was a changing of the guard with the big 4 of smith/slater/cronk/thurston retiring & Australia has come back closer to the pack. Maybe after next years SOO Australia will shoot ahead again while everyone else sits on the sidelines watching.
I think you miss the point - the profits of the rugby league world cup go back to all nations especially to small/developing nations to fund future development. Not into NRL coffers which is what you will find this spat comes down to.
From all reports this world cup was gearing up to be the biggest & best with BBC Tv coverage, UK government funding & ticket purchases already exceeding expectations.
What will happen with the 2022 one who knows? Maybe it won't even happen now.
The point is if we wanted to be taken seriously as a world sport then we needed to participate - I'm afraid we lost the chance & the joke is on us for pulling out prematurely.

Didn't Great Britain beat Australia for 30 years straight, didn't stop them playing each other or mocking them.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Basically for your avg Australian RL fan importance it goes club>>>>origin>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> rest of rugby league >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>internationals. It’s a very myopic nation in my experience.
Sadly true, have they been brainwashed to think that way after 20 plus years of media negativity.

Last edited:

siv

First Grade
Do you really think Covid will be under control by next year?

Delta variant is moving across countries that were vaxed

Next year we may see another variant or two pop up

Vaxes are around 12 months behind the variants

This cycle may go on for a decade

jim_57

Staff member
Do you really think Covid will be under control by next year?

Delta variant is moving across countries that were vaxed

Next year we may see another variant or two pop up

Vaxes are around 12 months behind the variants

This cycle may go on for a decade
Case numbers are still going but heavily vaccinated countries (like England) are showing a lot less deaths per case which was/is kind of the point. Vaccines won’t stop you getting it but you’re far less likely to get severe symptoms or cark it, which again is the point.

stryker

First Grade
The way the COVID infections are going it's stupid to proceed with the competition. Look at the raft of postponements and cancellations in the Super League.

Postponing to 2022 is only logical. Hell, they could introduce a mid-season break in both the SL and NRL to have the cup be in June/July to appease the conflict with the FIFA tournament.
f**ken bullshit mate…to everything you have stated.

Last edited:

KennySterling

Juniors
Didn't Great Britain beat Australia for 30 years straight, didn't stop them playing each other or mocking them.
That's right. I don't know what's happened to the game.

The Lions jumped on an aircraft carrier to tour Australasia in 1946 when no one in the country had a pot to pi55 in - all to aid the game Down Under.

The English game was far stronger - hence the signing of Bevan, Clues, Bath to Warrington and Leeds - but had no hesitation in coming to the rescue. Ah well.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Just in case you dont know how important succesful RLWC's are to growing the game:

commercial success of RLWC2013 had allowed the tournament to deliver a record financial return in excess of £3.7 million to the Rugby League International Federation.

The direct economic benefit to Cardiff of hosting the Opening Ceremony was £8.5m; the semi-final double header at Wembley generated a direct economic impact of £12.3m for London; and as a result of staging the final, Manchester experienced a direct economic benefit of £8.4m.

14 per cent of tickets purchased by people gaining their first experience of Rugby League whilst 38 per cent of ticket sales were to people residing outside the North of England.

UK TV audience of 13.3m, with a peak of 2.8m for the England v New Zealand semi final
Tournament broadcast into 114 territories with a worldwide audience reach of 134m viewers

Just in case you dont know how important succesful RLWC's are to growing the game:

commercial success of RLWC2013 had allowed the tournament to deliver a record financial return in excess of £3.7 million to the Rugby League International Federation.

The direct economic benefit to Cardiff of hosting the Opening Ceremony was £8.5m; the semi-final double header at Wembley generated a direct economic impact of £12.3m for London; and as a result of staging the final, Manchester experienced a direct economic benefit of £8.4m.

14 per cent of tickets purchased by people gaining their first experience of Rugby League whilst 38 per cent of ticket sales were to people residing outside the North of England.

UK TV audience of 13.3m, with a peak of 2.8m for the England v New Zealand semi final
Tournament broadcast into 114 territories with a worldwide audience reach of 134m viewers

Just a shame the spineless and insular ARLC and the NZRL can't see the benefits

The Great Dane

First Grade
Do you remember the score from the last world cup 6-0 to aus over england & could of been level?
Yeah I remember.

A core group of NRL players lead by one of the best Australian coaches of all time snuck into the final by the skin of their teeth where they lost one of the most boring games of RL ever played, and it had no significant impact on the profile of international or English RL, and didn't change the fact that England hasn't beaten Australia in a game in of RL in 25 years...
I think you miss the point - the profits of the rugby league world cup go back to all nations especially to small/developing nations to fund future development. Not into NRL coffers which is what you will find this spat comes down to.
Except those profits don't fund future development, they just disappear into a blackhole because the vast majority of nations competing in the RLWC have no significant local investment or resources behind them to actually build the game to a standard where it can break into the mainstream in their nation (even if it's only as a tiny niche).

Which is international RL's problem isn't it; it's built on sand and cares only about the perception of being a big international sport instead of the reality of it's position.
From all reports this world cup was gearing up to be the biggest & best with BBC Tv coverage, UK government funding & ticket purchases already exceeding expectations.
All of which is meaningless if you are incapable of capitalising on it to push significant growth locally, which the RFL, ESL, and clubs have proven themselves too self interested and myopic to do time and time again.

Now if you want to actually address the point I was making instead of making a bunch of lame strawmen then feel free.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeah I remember.

A core group of NRL players lead by one of the best Australian coaches of all time snuck into the final by the skin of their teeth where they lost one of the most boring games of RL ever played, and it had no significant impact on the profile of international or English RL, and didn't change the fact that England hasn't beaten Australia in a game in of RL in 25 years...

Except those profits don't fund future development, they just disappear into a blackhole because the vast majority of nations competing in the RLWC have no significant local investment or resources behind them to actually build the game to a standard where it can break into the mainstream in their nation (even if it's only as a tiny niche).

Which is international RL's problem isn't it; it's built on sand and cares only about the perception of being a big international sport instead of the reality of it's position.

All of which is meaningless if you are incapable of capitalising on it to push significant growth locally, which the RFL, ESL, and clubs have proven themselves too self interested and myopic to do time and time again.

Now if you want to actually address the point I was making instead of making a bunch of lame strawmen then feel free.
Wrong on so many levels. Did you go to the final? I did, was a cracking game with a great atmosphere and had everyone on edge of seats. The onLY Australian in the English side was Chris heighington on the bench.

Profits go to the IRL who have done a stonking job in growing the game at grass roots across the world, despite the myopic leadership of the game at clubland level, to the point where there are more genuine comps in the world now than at any time in the games history.

a few examples

here’s an example of how host country funding helps growth in that country

Gomersall

Juniors

Did we ever find out how much below the projected profit the Aussies delivered in 2017? I still haven’t seen any figures from that tournament.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Interview with Troy Grant this week on Chasing Kangaroos Podcast regarding WC and future direction of international game, may help clear a few things up

I’ve lost interest in the NRL completely this year as of about 7-8 weeks ago. I have watched most games every week for the last 22ish years. I held some interest out of loyalty earlier in the year and probably would have got back in to it at finals time even despite the ridiculous amount/severity of rule changes.. but after the World Cup decision I’m pretty much done for the year and doubt I’ll return whilst Snake-Oil is still there. I may watch the Grand Final just to hopefully see Bellamy send Ivan “I won’t release my players for internationals” Cleary home a loser again.

Jesus wept I know but if anything the International game is the only part of the sport I’d watch and support at the moment. f**k the NRL.
I am fed up with the direction the game is heading. I've been watching rugby league 28 years, but this year I've spent more time playing cards on my iPhone with the NRL on the TV in the background. That's how boring it has become. The few QRL games I watched this year were more entertaining than the shit the NRL puts on each week.

The Sydney-centric agenda of the NSWRL/ARL, which has remained in place for over 100 years, has killed any chance of our game becoming a national and global sport.

I'm at the stage of hoping another Super League comes around.