What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia and New Zealand withdraw from RLWC

Perth Red

Post Whore
Very sad time for the game, not surprising, just sad. RL remains a tiny sport played in a handful of places for very good reason and it has nothing to do with the quality or fun of playing the game on the pitch.
I guess the IRL got wind the clubs were going to stop NRL players from going. f**k you Vlandys and the NRL.

clarency

Juniors
Well this will be interesting. I expect the IRL will try to schedule to event to end before November... coz... yeknow.... the world's biggest sporting event will start around then.
And of course we wouldn't dare to impede on the precious NRL that typically ends with their grand final at the end of October.

Effectively this sh*t isn't over yet. Either the NRL is going to need to drastically reschedule their 2022 season to allow for the complete RL world cup to run prior to the Fifa world cup. OR. The final stages of the RL world cup will run alongside the Fifa world cup.

Isn't this panning out great for the IRL?

Brick Tamland

Juniors
Well this will be interesting. I expect the IRL will try to schedule to event to end before November... coz... yeknow.... the world's biggest sporting event will start around then.
And of course we wouldn't dare to impede on the precious NRL that typically ends with their grand final at the end of October.

Effectively this sh*t isn't over yet. Either the NRL is going to need to drastically reschedule their 2022 season to allow for the complete RL world cup to run prior to the Fifa world cup. OR. The final stages of the RL world cup will run alongside the Fifa world cup.

nice rant, but the NRL grand final is typically played on the 1st Sunday of October (last year being an exception due to Covid)

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Next year, first Sunday is October 2nd.

This years tournament was to be played over 5 weeks. I can see it condensing to 4 weeks, which would be ok. Final around November 12th. Start October 15th.

Last edited:

it's only the flaming start of the soccer WC, loads of rubbish matches played then by "nations" who shouldn't be there.

jim_57

Staff member
So that sucks. It gets really hard to be interested in the International game when there is obvious disdain from within the sport itself.

I’ve lost interest in the NRL completely this year as of about 7-8 weeks ago. I have watched most games every week for the last 22ish years. I held some interest out of loyalty earlier in the year and probably would have got back in to it at finals time even despite the ridiculous amount/severity of rule changes.. but after the World Cup decision I’m pretty much done for the year and doubt I’ll return whilst Snake-Oil is still there. I may watch the Grand Final just to hopefully see Bellamy send Ivan “I won’t release my players for internationals” Cleary home a loser again.

Jesus wept I know but if anything the International game is the only part of the sport I’d watch and support at the moment. f**k the NRL.

FearTheVee!

Juniors
I’ve lost interest in the NRL completely this year as of about 7-8 weeks ago. I have watched most games every week for the last 22ish years. I held some interest out of loyalty earlier in the year and probably would have got back in to it at finals time even despite the ridiculous amount/severity of rule changes.. but after the World Cup decision I’m pretty much done for the year and doubt I’ll return whilst Snake-Oil is still there. I may watch the Grand Final just to hopefully see Bellamy send Ivan “I won’t release my players for internationals” Cleary home a loser again.

Jesus wept I know but if anything the International game is the only part of the sport I’d watch and support at the moment. f**k the NRL.

Matterhorn

Juniors
I just read that as well. The best article I've read & really explains what's happening behind the scenes rather than the BS the mainstream media is feeding us or lack of as well.
Volunteers around the world busting there ass trying to setup rugby league in new/developing countries with no pay or having to pay from there own pockets to keep going must shake there heads in disbelief at this power play to derail a tournament that was never allowed to see the day.

Tigers1986

Juniors
The way the COVID infections are going it's stupid to proceed with the competition. Look at the raft of postponements and cancellations in the Super League.

Postponing to 2022 is only logical. Hell, they could introduce a mid-season break in both the SL and NRL to have the cup be in June/July to appease the conflict with the FIFA tournament.

FearTheVee!

Juniors
The way the COVID infections are going it's stupid to proceed with the competition. Look at the raft of postponements and cancellations in the Super League.

Postponing to 2022 is only logical. Hell, they could introduce a mid-season break in both the SL and NRL to have the cup be in June/July to appease the conflict with the FIFA tournament.
SL isn't bubbled, the World Cup would be. You might as well compare the World Cup to the Euros games in England - no problem for the teams.

And by the way "the way the COVID infections are going" is down. Way down. Not because we force players to tape closed their doors like in Oz, but because people are vaccinated. But then you probably already knew that.

As for the NRL agreeing to a mid-season break for internationals hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Good one.

Inkers75

Juniors
Well it appears that the WC will be postponed till 2022, I had tickets and was looking forward to it. As a Pom it seems to me, reading on this forum, that the NRL is far more important to the Aussies and Kiwis than an international WC and are putting their own interests first. I could be wrong but just my own thoughts, a real shame as there has been alot of money spent on organising the tournament so far. It may be difficult in gaining interest next year with the football WC in Qatar being staged at a similar time, for those who don't know football is king in the UK.

Matterhorn

Juniors
Let's call a spade a spade. The NRL don't care about international rugby league. SOO is there next best income source after the NRL competition. Otherwise they would of made more of an effort to attend, instead they roll out all the apologists & they speak to us like we are simpletons.
Of course if it was in Australia then cancel was the only option. But it was in a country that has shown positive improvements since coming out of there own lock down. Sure no one is Nostradamus & can't predict what Oct/Nov is like. But to speak doom/gloom so far out means they had to get this one of the agenda quickly just in case they were facing more positive news from the UK in the coming weeks & they would then of had egg on there faces.
If international sport is played in the UK at the same time as the RLWC this year then this will go down as the most selfish,rushed,arrogant decision in Australian sport.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Let's call a spade a spade. The NRL don't care about international rugby league. SOO is there next best income source after the NRL competition. Otherwise they would of made more of an effort to attend, instead they roll out all the apologists & they speak to us like we are simpletons.
And whose fault is that?

Can you blame the NRL for not being interested in internationals when they’ve struggled to give away tickets to internationals in Australia for the last 20 years?

I mean is it the NRL’s fault that England/Britain have been totally uncompetitive for 30-40 years now?

Is it the NRL’s fault that the RFL haven’t independently produced a star player that is recognisable outside of the North of England since the 80s?

If you want the NRL (and clubs) to take internationals seriously then they need to make a significant financial return for them, otherwise they’ll focus on the products that do make a return instead.

Matterhorn

Juniors
And whose fault is that?

Can you blame the NRL for not being interested in internationals when they’ve struggled to give away tickets to internationals in Australia for the last 20 years?

I mean is it the NRL’s fault that England/Britain have been totally uncompetitive for 30-40 years now?

Is it the NRL’s fault that the RFL haven’t independently produced a star player that is recognisable outside of the North of England since the 80s?

If you want the NRL (and clubs) to take internationals seriously then they need to make a significant financial return for them, otherwise they’ll focus on the products that do make a return instead.
Is that you Gus?
Do you remember the score from the last world cup 6-0 to aus over england & could of been level? We could dissect every game Aus has played over the past 30 years what does that prove? The last 4 internationals Aus has played they have won 2 lost 2. Some say there was a changing of the guard with the big 4 of smith/slater/cronk/thurston retiring & Australia has come back closer to the pack. Maybe after next years SOO Australia will shoot ahead again while everyone else sits on the sidelines watching.
I think you miss the point - the profits of the rugby league world cup go back to all nations especially to small/developing nations to fund future development. Not into NRL coffers which is what you will find this spat comes down to.
From all reports this world cup was gearing up to be the biggest & best with BBC Tv coverage, UK government funding & ticket purchases already exceeding expectations.
What will happen with the 2022 one who knows? Maybe it won't even happen now.
The point is if we wanted to be taken seriously as a world sport then we needed to participate - I'm afraid we lost the chance & the joke is on us for pulling out prematurely.

Is that you Gus?
Do you remember the score from the last world cup 6-0 to aus over england & could of been level? We could dissect every game Aus has played over the past 30 years what does that prove? The last 4 internationals Aus has played they have won 2 lost 2. Some say there was a changing of the guard with the big 4 of smith/slater/cronk/thurston retiring & Australia has come back closer to the pack. Maybe after next years SOO Australia will shoot ahead again while everyone else sits on the sidelines watching.
I think you miss the point - the profits of the rugby league world cup go back to all nations especially to small/developing nations to fund future development. Not into NRL coffers which is what you will find this spat comes down to.
From all reports this world cup was gearing up to be the biggest & best with BBC Tv coverage, UK government funding & ticket purchases already exceeding expectations.
What will happen with the 2022 one who knows? Maybe it won't even happen now.
The point is if we wanted to be taken seriously as a world sport then we needed to participate - I'm afraid we lost the chance & the joke is on us for pulling out prematurely.
I predict now that the 2022 RLWC won't go ahead as the ARLC with their pals on the NZRL board and with prompting by the NRL clubs will find an EXCUSE not to go

colly

Juniors

OOOHH but Vlandy a Cu*t did'nt you know. Causing all that Delta here and in the UK. Should be a probe into NRL HQ what do they know about labs and bats. Inquiring minds wants answers?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well it appears that the WC will be postponed till 2022, I had tickets and was looking forward to it. As a Pom it seems to me, reading on this forum, that the NRL is far more important to the Aussies and Kiwis than an international WC and are putting their own interests first. I could be wrong but just my own thoughts, a real shame as there has been alot of money spent on organising the tournament so far. It may be difficult in gaining interest next year with the football WC in Qatar being staged at a similar time, for those who don't know football is king in the UK.
Basically for your avg Australian RL fan importance it goes club>>>>origin>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> rest of rugby league >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>internationals. It’s a very myopic nation in my experience.