What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia in India 2008 discussion thread

TheParraboy

Staff member
If Katich is not picked Ponting is more clueless than i thought, Katich is one of the best slow wcket players in the country. Scored a Zillion runs at the SCG he last 3 or 4 season. Plus his bowling will offer more for Australia than Sunshine who will be cannon fodder on the India Wickets. But hey we pick Johnson so what do i know.

doesnt look good for Kat

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/indvaus2008/content/story/371575.html

Katich looms as unlucky batsman

Cricinfo staff

September 29, 2008

371395.jpg

Simon Katich was the only Australian to register a half-century in the warm-up game in Jaipur © AFP

Simon Katich is preparing himself for the disappointment of being left out of Australia's Test side in India after making back-to-back hundreds in the Caribbean. Katich's strong form continued when he was the only one of Australia's batsmen to post a half-century in the weekend's practice match in Jaipur.

It followed his comeback tour of the West Indies earlier this year, when he replaced the injured Matthew Hayden as opener and scored 113 in the second Test and 157 in the third. But with Hayden likely to return for the first Test in Bangalore and the allrounder Shane Watson almost certain to replace Andrew Symonds at No. 6, it leaves Katich the odd man out.

"I treated what happened in the West Indies as a bonus," Katich said after the warm-up game. "I wasn't supposed to play. I was there as an extra batsman and got an opportunity because of his [Hayden's] injury.

"It's a similar scenario with him back fit, I'll just have to wait and see what happens. I'm pretty sure he'll be fit and go straight back in the team. I'm just preparing so I can try and make sure I'm ready, because it's a long tour and anything can happen in India."

Katich is one of only four men in Australia's squad who has played a Test in India, although barring injuries he will find it hard to force his way back in during this four-Test trip. However, he did get the chance to open in the tour game as Phil Jaques sat out and decided only to bat in the nets due to his stiff back.

Australia now head to Hyderabad to start the "official" portion of the tour; they organised the extra week in Jaipur to acclimatise to conditions when the Champions Trophy in Pakistan was called off. Katich said the chance to practice on varying pitches in Jaipur was a huge benefit for the side.

"Some hadn't grass on, some were a bit more worn than others," he said. "Even the centre wicket after two or three days started to play like a third-day wicket. It's good to be able to practise that. You don't always get the opportunity to simulate what's going to happen in a match."

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Katich's bowling will be more useful in India than Watson's pies and he's simply a better player of spin

he must open

TheParraboy

Staff member
who do you drop? cant drop jaques, hayden if fit and raring to go has to be there

Id have katich at 6

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
his form in the Windies was better than Jaques, and Jaques isn't too flash against spin

TheParraboy

Staff member
Apparantly Roy on standby if someone gets injured

Who will go down first , Sunshine or Hayden?

TheParraboy

Staff member
Jaques is established at the top order now, averages 46-47 i think. He will be permanently there for a while unless he has a run of poor form

Why drop an established guy and then bring in a new one like Sunshine in? (sorry Locky)

keep in mind katich was reserve batsman for the WI and replaced Hayden

If all reality katich should be given a go at 6 instead of sunshine, not opener instead of jaques

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I'd drop him for Sean Marsh in a second, only a matter of time before he makes the test team, he's a far superior batsman imo.

Jaques is the incumbent and our selectors would never drop some one from the team without a heap of failures, refer Brad Hodge .

lockyno1

Post Whore
Jaques is established at the top order now, averages 46-47 i think. He will be permanently there for a while unless he has a run of poor form

Why drop an established guy and then bring in a new one like Sunshine in? (sorry Locky)

keep in mind katich was reserve batsman for the WI and replaced Hayden

If all reality katich should be given a go at 6 instead of sunshine, not opener instead of jaques

Sunshine is the all-rounder, completely different positions. Katich is a good batsman, but is probably the worst fieldsman in the entire touring party. The last thing I want is for a guy to drop Tendulkar and co again and again.