What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia in South Africa (postponed) and in NZ SQUADs 2021

typicalfan

Coach
Starc I'd send over but I'd firmly put him in the horses for courses basket. Unless the pitch is either green or very fast, or it's a D/N match don't pick him, his bowling doesn't suit.

nöyd

Staff member
Paine will definitely be the skipper on the SAF tour IMO, no way they blood a rookie captain for the first time back there after you-know-what.

Starc just looks plain bored, like he is over it all and just can't be bothered anymore. Pattinson to come in for mine, is he injured or something though?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Starc just looks plain bored, like he is over it all and just can't be bothered anymore. Pattinson to come in for mine, is he injured or something though?

Patto not match fit yet, still getting up to speed

JJ

Immortal
Is Swepson the fat ginger that was going to take over the world? Nah that was Pope? What happened to him?

more importantly, who is Warne pushing as the solution?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
“Everyone is pretty hopeful his shoulder is OK and he will be available for that tour. You can certainly get by with that, especially if you are not a bowler but, long-term, there may be further issues, if you dive, it could slightly displace it again. They are taking a cautious approach.”

Test selectors will have a close eye on the Sheffield Shield next month as Australia’s tour of South Africa rapidly approaches, pending biosecurity measures.

If fit, Pucovski is likely to be selected to tour as Australia looks to rebound from a devastating series loss to India at home. Nonetheless, the fact that red ball domestic cricket will resume in just over two weeks opens the door to any late contenders hoping to press their cases for a Test spot.

As such, Pucovski is hoping to return to action as soon as possible to give Test selectors no reason to leave him behind when the plane leaves, reportedly on February 24.

Meanwhile, Mitchell Starc has overcome the hamstring complaint that restricted him during the Brisbane Test, while James Pattinson is back to bowling in the nets after injuring his rib in a fall at his property.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricke...n/news-story/20500c419f79a18a4601888b8401e2ea

TheParraboy

Staff member
Is Swepson the fat ginger that was going to take over the world? Nah that was Pope? What happened to him?

more importantly, who is Warne pushing as the solution?

He is pushing Zampa, based that he has been a very good and consistent white ball bowler last 18 months, hence therefore would be great in test cricket...

tomdl

Bench
He is pushing Zampa, based that he has been a very good and consistent white ball bowler last 18 months, hence therefore would be great in test cricket...
He actually mentioned Swepson taking bags of wickets in the shield the other day. Surprised me, the last time I remember Warnie mentioning the shield was when he claimed Stoinis has a poor FC record because he was too good for shield...

Bazal

Post Whore
Admiral Wadeys ship after this mornings squad announcement

images

TheParraboy

Staff member
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...uad-tanveer-sangha-earns-t20i-call-up-1249335

Matthew Wade dropped from Test squad, Tanveer Sangha earns T20I call-up

Alex Carey and Mark Steketee have been included for the South Africa tour which is still awaiting final approval from the two boards

T20I squad Aaron Finch (capt), Matthew Wade (vc), Ashton Agar, Jason Behrendorff, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Ben McDermott, Riley Meredith, Josh Philippe, Jhye Richardson, Kane Richardson, Daniel Sams, Tanveer Sangha, D'Arcy Short, Marcus Stoinis, Ashton Turner, Andrew Tye, Adam Zampa

Test squad Tim Paine (capt), Pat Cummins (vc), Sean Abbott, Alex Carey, Cameron Green, Marcus Harris, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Moises Henriques, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Michael Neser, James Pattinson, Will Pucovski, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Mark Steketee, Mitchell Swepson, David Warner

Last edited:

Haffa

"Tim Paine has been an outstanding captain since taking over the Australian men's Test team in incredibly difficult circumstances," Oliver said.

"Tim has the support of the team, the coach and everyone else at Cricket Australia and the result of the Border-Gavaskar Trophy series has done nothing to diminish that.

"Tim is in career-best form with the bat and, while the series against India was not his best with the gloves by his own admission, he remains in the top echelon of wicketkeepers globally.

"And as a leader, he has been brilliant. To captain a squad through the many challenges presented by the pandemic - not least the unique pressures of hub life - is no easy task and Tim did that with strength, humility and good humour.

"After a series that attracted so much global interest, it was inevitable there’d be scrutiny. But some of the commentary surrounding Tim and his position as Test captain has been wide of the mark."

LOL

The_Frog

First Grade
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...uad-tanveer-sangha-earns-t20i-call-up-1249335

Matthew Wade dropped from Test squad, Tanveer Sangha earns T20I call-up

Alex Carey and Mark Steketee have been included for the South Africa tour which is still awaiting final approval from the two boards

T20I squad Aaron Finch (capt), Matthew Wade (vc), Ashton Agar, Jason Behrendorff, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Ben McDermott, Riley Meredith, Josh Philippe, Jhye Richardson, Kane Richardson, Daniel Sams, Tanveer Sangha, D'Arcy Short, Marcus Stoinis, Ashton Turner, Andrew Tye, Adam Zampa

Test squad Tim Paine (capt), Pat Cummins (vc), Sean Abbott, Alex Carey, Cameron Green, Marcus Harris, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Moises Henriques, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Michael Neser, James Pattinson, Will Pucovski, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Mark Steketee, Mitchell Swepson, David Warner
Surprised this tour is still on. We had CA recently asking for its players to jump the queue for the new vaccine bacause of the risks in touring South Africa. It begs the question, if its risky, why would they go?

Haffa

Surprised this tour is still on. We had CA recently asking for its players to jump the queue for the new vaccine bacause of the risks in touring South Africa. It begs the question, if its risky, why would they go?
Money

lockyno1

Post Whore

They want to win so they play in the World Test Championship final at Lords

typicalfan

Coach
I did think Wade deserved to not be in the side but he should be ahead of Harris in the pecking order and also Head. What has Head done to all of a sudden jump Wade?

Bazal

Post Whore
I did think Wade deserved to not be in the side but he should be ahead of Harris in the pecking order and also Head. What has Head done to all of a sudden jump Wade?

He's a better batsman and he gives a spin option if needed. We don't need Wade as a back up keeper with Carey, so Head is the better pick

It's not a remarkably huge difference but he's certainly a better cricketer than Wade