What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia V. Chile

nick87

Coach
FWIW - i think Danish has a point, it's something i was talking to a mate about during the Chile game. We dont have the technical nous in this country to coach these guys up, they need to get OS, as young as possible, and get the top end coaching they need to become world class players

so long as our squad is filled with A-League players, we'll struggle on the international stage

Misanthrope

Staff member
FWIW - i think Danish has a point, it's something i was talking to a mate about during the Chile game. We dont have the technical nous in this country to coach these guys up, they need to get OS, as young as possible, and get the top end coaching they need to become world class players

so long as our squad is filled with A-League players, we'll struggle on the international stage

I feel like you must be the bravest forummer, posting on here despite what must be crippling innumeracy.

There are 7 players from the A-League in our 23 man squad, one of whom is a goal keeper unlikely to see any game time. In what mathematical way is that 'filled with'?

Is it the league with the most representatives in the squad? Yes. But that makes sense given it's our domestic league and there are literally hundreds of leagues out there.

Eelementary

Post Whore
tleast it was exciting. not like that f**kn germany game 4 years ago.

timmy rules.

dunno about the keeper didnt look that confident.

we would have been lucky to get a dew. thought we had got it when bresciano had his chance though.

we need to develop a striker of real quality

Personally, I don't rate Mat Ryan at all.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I read somewhere that Ryan's preferred as he can play a sweeping keeper role, which means he's more involved in the distribution of the ball rather than simply being a shot-stopper.

His passing and quick service certainly helped us get a roll on this morning.

ggmu

Juniors
I read somewhere that Ryan's preferred as he can play a sweeping keeper role, which means he's more involved in the distribution of the ball rather than simply being a shot-stopper.

That is one thing I noticed he didn't just boot the ball as far as possible he pretty much hit his target every time he had a kick.

Mong

Post Whore
Exactly as Ang plays

Asides from the defensive shambles for a few minutes where they went down 2-0 I thought they went pretty well. Certainly better than most, myself included, really expected.

I don't understand some of the really negative comments in this thread.

On a different day it could easily have finished 2-2.

What were folk expecting to happen in this game exactly?

Misanthrope

Staff member
Exactly as Ang plays

Asides from the defensive shambles for a few minutes where they went down 2-0 I thought they went pretty well. Certainly better than most, myself included, really expected.

I don't understand some of the really negative comments in this thread.

On a different day it could easily have finished 2-2.

What were folk expecting to happen in this game exactly?

The majority of those in here death-riding the team are neither regular football viewers (Danish seems to have never seen an A-League game in his life) or they didn't watch the game and are just in here trolling (Atilla, I Bum Maroons, Walt f**ktaman)

Eelementary

Post Whore
I rate Ryan but I do believe Langerak has more potential and will be starting for us once he nails down a starting spot in Europe somewhere.

That is one thing I noticed he didn't just boot the ball as far as possible he pretty much hit his target every time he had a kick.

This is of course just my opinion, but having played goalkeeper all my life, and had the absolute privilege of having a young Iker Casillas teach a clinic at my school many years ago, I have noticed that Ryan struggles to position his body the correct way to shut down the play efficiently.

Let's take the first goal Chile scored as an example: when the Chilean player had the ball and Ryan was trying to smother the angle, he should have (IMO) let the goal line play its part; he should have realised the Chilean player was going to boot the ball back inside, and positioned his torso and hands to try to smother the ball.

But instead, he was leaning towards the other direction, and when the inevitable pass came, he was not able to stop it.

I can't blame him for the goal - he did well to get back on his line to try and save the goal. But what I am saying is that I don't believe he reads the play all that well.

He's young, and he might improve, but I've noticed little things here and there over the years that make me think he's not quite at the level required.

Just my opinion. I'm certainly not blaming him for the loss.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I wonder if it's a consistent problem with him?

Not that the Belgian Pro League is at a stellar level, but to be named the best goalkeeper there is a pretty big wrap.

aqua_duck

Coach
Belgium league is very under rated, the players that have come through that league in the last few years is unbelievable

Red Bear

Referee
started in the A league, yes. As in way too good for it and plays elsewhere now. The people who belong in the A League, like Milligan, are complete plodders.

It's no coincidence that the socceroos slide over the last few years is directly compatible with an increase in the amount of A league players featuring in the squad. I know the media likes to push this as a good thing but all it really means is that we are not producing as many class players anymore.

Honestly I think the A League is bad for the socceroos. Too many talented kids happy to aim for a career in Oz first and stunting their development instead of heading O/S as early as possible
It's more related to having by far our best ever team all being on a decline. The 06 side was us at our absolute peak but, other than Cahill, many of our key players were at their peak and did not improve from there (many declined).

It's not the A-League, it's that the generation following the 'golden generation' simply wasn't as talented. We've been in transition for 6 years but it is only since Ange took over we've genuinely had a crack at moving on to the next side.

I feel like you must be the bravest forummer, posting on here despite what must be crippling innumeracy.

There are 7 players from the A-League in our 23 man squad, one of whom is a goal keeper unlikely to see any game time. In what mathematical way is that 'filled with'?

Is it the league with the most representatives in the squad? Yes. But that makes sense given it's our domestic league and there are literally hundreds of leagues out there.
The merits of the A-League will be more obvious in ten years time, to be honest. Most of the current side would've come up through the older development mindset. It's only in recent years that they've overhauled the introduction into the game at the young ages, boosted the youth league etc. We'll see how the players that are produced over the next ten years, the ones who have come up through this overhauled system are.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I wonder if it's a consistent problem with him?

Not that the Belgian Pro League is at a stellar level, but to be named the best goalkeeper there is a pretty big wrap.

Don't get me wrong - he's very talented.

I just worry about things like that because, with a new and inexperienced back line, Matty probably needs to take a bit more responsibility to shut down dangerous plays, and he at times doesn't position himself well enough to do so.

But he's a young bloke, and the talent is clearly there. Perhaps he just needs some more time.