What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia v England - 4th Ashes Test

JJ

Immortal
it has a lot to do with England - but not that much. Australia were a different team a few months ago - regardless of what you say, Aust have been pathetic (aprt from Mcgrath and one Ponting innings) in this series.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Have they been pathetic or have they finally come up against a good attack? The first great attack this great Aussie team has ever faced.

I think its safe to suggest that there is a difference in class between the fire of Harmison/Flintoff & the swing of Jones/ Hoggard as compared to the destruction of Chris Martin, James Franklin, Ian O'Brien and Tama Cumming.

I'd fancy my chances against that lot.

JJ

Immortal
Tommy Smith said:
Have they been pathetic or have they finally come up against a good attack? The first great attack this great Aussie team has ever faced.

If you're honest, you'll admit it's a bit of both - the Aussie fans have rubbished all youir players, so I'm not worried about them

Harmison and Flintoff are very good, Jones, Hoggard and Giles are hardly world beaters.

mcGrath's absence has been huge, but worse has been the batmsen's form

and despite being a kiwi, I've been a huge fam of the cricket this Australian team has played, and think they've been amazingly good- butthe great players are fading, the new players aren;t as good, and they've just been terrible in this series. Even though NZ were well beaten in England, for most of that series we were competitive

eastsrule

Bench
nostalgia said:
At the start of Day 4, is it the general view in Oz that you'll get in a position to make a declaration :whistle

No. I did not say that. I did say if we made it to a lead of 250.

Fact is, Gilchrist cannot stay in such poor form for much longer and reality should have struck the other batsmen by now.

The fact that our bowlers are probably averaging better with the bat is embarassing for them.

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
eastsrule said:
Fact is, Gilchrist cannot stay in such poor form for much longer and reality should have struck the other batsmen by now.

Gilchrist cant stay in poor form for much longer? If you adopt that theory, then Martyn , Hayden and Katich you could say the same about. I hope your right, but I just think hes totally been worked out and has no answer

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Tommy Smith said:

I'd have to say its a bit of both imo

lockyno1

Post Whore
TheParraboy said:
We can still retain the ashes 3-1 :)

Oh please! I will take 2-1 and that is with drawing this test! I cannot in my wildest dreams think we will win both!

eastsrule

Bench
Big_Bad_Shark_Fan said:
Gilchrist cant stay in poor form for much longer? If you adopt that theory, then Martyn , Hayden and Katich you could say the same about. I hope your right, but I just think hes totally been worked out and has no answer

No you couldn't.

Gilchrist has consistently played international cricket (ODI and Test) at a strike rate of 80 or over. He is in a form slump, everyone experiences these. But someone who can hit the ball so easily and his statistics prove that, should be able to come through.

Katich, Martyn, Clarke and Hayden have all shown at different times they are absolutely fantastic players. But consistency has never existed with Katich, Martyn or Clarke. Katich only scores runs when no one else does and Clarke and Martyn have been going like this for a while.

Hayden, on the other hand, has been on a slow decrease for a while now and has finally reached the end of the road. He has had his chance to revive himself and I believe it is time to give either Hussey or Jacques an oppurtunity they have most certianly earnt.

We can still get a good result for the series out of this match. But if we give away any wickets in the first session for Day 4, we will lose.

aussies1st

Staff member
Tonight is the key to this test and maybe the series. Katich needs to step up or ship out. Clarke needs to stay in and make a huge inns. Gilly needs to find his fighting qualities again. The tail can keep up what they have been doing all series.

wittyfan

Referee
Australia needs to get a lead of 200 or so to have any hope. If Gilchrist fires, anything is possible.

aussies1st

Staff member
I wouldn't be confident with 200 to win the game. Our bowlers would need to step up. Warne would need to be used very early and have an effect straight away and Flintoff and Kevin Pietersen have to get out cheaply.

Red Bear

Referee
JJ said:
it has a lot to do with England - but not that much. Australia were a different team a few months ago - regardless of what you say, Aust have been pathetic (aprt from Mcgrath and one Ponting innings) in this series.
What, so in your view Warne has done nothing this series? In his 4th trip the pomms still shake in their boots against hime.

Big Mick

Referee
Your only as good as the other team lets you play and England hasn't given an inch this test.

But hopefully Katich and Gilchrest can not play stupid shots. Be patient and get us to at least 150 in front.

I thought Clarke would get a 100 but he didn't...now one of Gilchrest or Katich MUST,....MUST get a century.

Big Mick

Referee
I dunno about that decision. Its 50/50 but Gilchrest deserves it for being bloody stupid without moving his feet.

We were gone when we wern't 100 in front with Clarke and Katich...now it just makes it worst.

Disgraceful.

Thank you Damien Martyn.