What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia V england

incredible_holc

Juniors
Another thing, for the first time ever Andy Farrell stood up and played an alright game for once. He has never ceased to dissapoint me before but today he stood up

JasonE

Bench
A couple of people here have said that the poms were offside alot, Australia was never onside, the GB players first reciever was getting tackled as he was getting the ball, it goes both ways

ShireShark said:
Here's how I saw it, from the perspective of a Sharks fan and written for that forum:

Here's a fair few points about the game
-We were very lucky - completion of sets and kicking game was atrocious
-I dont think GB were particularly good either, we were just bad
-Kimmorley's refusal to go wide was so frustrating, he should have gone off and been replaced with Wing who looked a lot more dangerous with his 3-odd touches of the ball than Kimmorley with his 300-odd (how many times did Hegarty touch the ball? What about Minichiello, Gower and Bailey?!)
That said, his pass to Gower for the try was vintage Noddy and was OUTSTANDING
-Kimmorley shouldnt be defending in the centres - his missed tackle led to the first GB line break and struggled all day, particularly after injury
-Webcke was outstanding I thought and provided a good example for the younger blokes
-Where was Willie Mason? MIA, probably too much booze
-Crocker is a thug and I dont like him representing me, he's a disgrace and he let the team down by being sin binned
-Great Britain's number 7 didnt do ANYTHING for me
-Australia was just awful, we looked like we had less players on the park, when we had more. Where were our backs on Carney's second try?!
-I thought Buderus would be more involved, or is he no one without Johns?
-Bailey no good in the centres, Senior showed him up, Bailey no pace and weak defence, directly led to a try and should have stepped inside when he had a chance at a second try
-Great Britain have obviously been learning the Roosters' defence, they were offside all day, particularly the shooter, but credit to them if they can get away with it...gee they were playing cheap
-Credit to Opes for choosing Wing in the centres, Wing was absolutely outstanding and his pass inside for the match winning try showed that Kimmorley should have gone wide much more often, why do we wait until we are desperate to try and score tries outside?
-Best back Wing, best forward Webcke

-Man of the match, the second English commentator
"This has been a wonderful win for Great Britain" - 62 minute mark
"I would be looking to get down there and go for the one point!" - Brits four points ahead
"They should go for the one!" - same guy, same scoreline

Geez we were lucky, with Morley on the field I think we would have lost. Injuries a worry for Sharks fans - Noddy and Bails in trouble.

That's how I saw it, what about the rest?

Very well written.....

But how about thier No try call(by the commentator) for Carn's second.

I'm glad I'm not a Pom and have to put up with that every week.

ozbash

Referee
agree jason, it went both ways.
i dont think tim mander will allow either team that much space.
there seemed to be a lot of "flop"in the british tackles as well.

maybe time for nuetral refs ?

t-ba

Post Whore
As Vossy said (And Joey woefully misinterpreted), I don't think GB would have played like they did unless Morley got sent off. They'll be able to use that effort as inspiration for the rest of the series.

A few Aussies will be carrying wounds after that one :lol: . I wodner if they'll call up Chad and the Beaver from their European Holiday :lol:

wounded magpie

Juniors
What changes will Andeson make?

1. He needs to select at least one back on the reserves bench
2. Give Bailey the flick (which is unkiley). I can't blame Kimmorley for Baileys weakness in defence. He is not a centre..to slow and is unable to read the play. P

Simplycheeky

Juniors
A couple of people here have said that the poms were offside alot, Australia was never onside, the GB players first reciever was getting tackled as he was getting the ball, it goes both ways

It did appear that way Jason but actually I think if you review the game its just that the GB side are much slower at getting off their line....and your hooker seems to take forever to get the ball to your first receiver.
Whereas the Aussies sprint up in the defensive line.

As someone previously said Crocker should be sent home. What a deadset disgrace to the Green and Gold. Rather typically though Anderson gave him a big cuddle after the match...(doesn't surprise me at all...he is exactly Opes type of bloke) It was also very thoughtful of Bedsy to ask how Anderson's heart was holding up after the game.

Woods

Juniors
ShireShark said:
-Man of the match, the second English commentator
"This has been a wonderful win for Great Britain" - 62 minute mark
"I would be looking to get down there and go for the one point!" - Brits four points ahead
"They should go for the one!" - same guy, same scoreline

Those were bad but I'd have gone for Phil Gould with his 'I don't think the Morley should was deserving of a send off' and then 'He often sticks the arm out when he's sidestepped'. That guy is a complete moron. If Morley didn't deserve a send off then noone will ever be sent off again. And Kearns ran straight and didn't step.

Having said that i was cheering the Poms on and really hoped they would beat the farce Aussie side with 12 men. Twas a fantastic game.

Paul-The-Cowboy

Juniors
great atmosphere. was surronded by aussies who were a great laugh (one of them was lucky to leave with his teeth in his gob to be fair though :lol: ). i was surprised nby the amount of australians who turned up. i thought it was ours, i'm absolutely gutted. i've still somehow never seen us beat you guys live, i think i'm a curse!

In-goal

Bench
I have almost been reduced to tears, what a Rugby League match what a test match. Knockers knock all you want what i saw was one of the worlds great sporting contests, poor old mozza i was heart brokern for him i just hope it's punishment served.

RL alive and well

strider

Post Whore
JasonE said:

Mate I think you are getting confused - GB were the ones in white, Aussies Green....the ref was playing a 10m rule for the Aust defence and 5m for GB - the ref had a shocker! - probably the crowd influence got him.

I'm an Aussie, but I'll admit I wouldn't mind seeing the Poms win the odd game to keep things interesting....I thought it was a real shame Morley had a brain explosion in hte first tackle - correct decision to send him off, but I hope he doesn't get suspended - he's already missed virtually an entire match because of what he did.

As for the Aussies - well yes its not our strongest team and virtually the entire backline was playing out of position, but you'd still expect a little more....a few points:

- Kimmorley is a quality player, but I still don't believe he should be our halfback over Gower....sure Gower didn't star, but he looks lost playing the role has been given.

- Bailey is NOT an international quality player!!! - maybe with all our injuries he's a benchie at best....he is in the side cos of the coach - plain and simple.....Senior ran round him all night.

- Mason only plays a few decent games a year - I think he's already used em all up.

- Well done to Webke, Lockyer and Wing for pulling this one out!...Kearns and Fitzgibbon did well too to come back from being knocked senseless.

- The Pommy hooker is a total loser!!!.....cheap shots all night - no pride in that weak stuff!

- And finally my biggest rant.....Australia is a shadow of what it could be because of injuries - BUT we are also on hte backfoot because we have a coach who is out of control at the moment - got no idea - just making stupid decisions from bias and to cover his own arse!......Gower is Australia's form half - he only plays Gower at 5/8 because he doesn't want ppl to blame playing his love child Kimmorley instead of Gower for a poor performance.....Bailey is only there because he plays for Cronulla - no other reason....Mason should not be in the side - end of story....Wing needs to be closer to the action - he could carve the Pommies up given the chance......I hope Chris Anderson retires/gets sacked from all coaching - he's had his time - his goals aren't just winning games these days

MEE

Juniors
strider said:
JasonE said:

Mate I think you are getting confused - GB were the ones in white, Aussies Green....the ref was playing a 10m rule for the Aust defence and 5m for GB - the ref had a shocker! - probably the crowd influence got him.
Take your green and gold glasses off. The aussies were offside just as much as the Brit's.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Clearly pointed out the injury toll in the Australian ranks. 13 on 12 and we just snuck away with it. Credit to the poms.
Well done fellas (Aussies), however this is far from the best squad to leave our shores. Not the nicest thing I have ever said, but undeniable.
Fact remains if the Aussies had all players available only a hand full of current team members would have played.
I am not sure how good it is for the International game. We Aussies have said for years we could send our 2nd squad to England and win, we have just done that. Our almost full strength in season Aussie team spanked the kiwis, this team was whooped them. Still the Poms could prove me wrong it is best of three, they can take confidence into the next two on the heart shown today.
I want to Wing play fullback, not for the Aussies just yet, but for the roosters.
All the players need longer studs. :?

strider

Post Whore
my eagle eye said:
strider said:
Take your green and gold glasses off. The aussies were offside just as much as the Brit's.

Seriously - I already said I wouldn't mind seeing the poms win a game - and I was so disappointed when Morley got sent off - and the extra incentive of seeing Anderson sacked as coach if we lose does it for me!

BUT, I can say in all honesty (no glasses involved), that the ref favoured GB....the 10m (or lack of it for the poms) and laying on the tackled player ALL game totally favoured GB.

Don't fool yourselves, the only reason Aussie won is because Morely was sent off. There I said it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
Can I be the one that points out that it was Great Britain playing tonight not England. Brian Carney 'hates' England according to mumblings over here and he was all fired up for the boys tonight.

I thought Australia were always going to win from the off after Morley did that. He always was a t@sser in Super League and he obviously hasn't learnt anything from his stint in the NRL. I'd like to see Waite drop him for that whether he gets a ban or not. The guy is a genius.

Having said that would an Australian ref send an Aussie off in the first minute? I am not convinced. What was the harm in giving him 10 minutes to calm down and writing it off as the passion of the ocassion?

I thought GB were very good defensively overall despite being down to 12. The Aussies targeted Sean Long in defence, and he didn't do too badly in that respect tonight, but I hope Waite does what St Helens do and have Long defend on the touchline. Long has been like this all season, things are just not coming off for him. That is why we need to play more games as GB to get the understanding the players enjoy at club level.

I thought we may do it then, I was even making mental notes to tell the Grand kids about how we did the Roos with 12. It wasn't to be, but a bit of better luck and it would have been so different. Senior's interception break was a clear try if he had found the path of Radlinski's run, and we should have scored from the Sculthorpe romp down the left.

As someone has pointed out Scully and Senior worked very well together down the left. The other side of the pitch may as well have taken deckchairs as Connolly wouldn't break the line with a rocket tied to his back. If Gleeson is still available call him up FFS, he would make a couple of breaks easily and open both sides of the pitch up too.

GB are so unlucky that Keiron Cunningham wasn't fit this season, as he would have had a field day, Newton was as clueless as ever.

For the 2nd Test I think Scully and Farrell should get even better after not training regularly for months. That combined with better luck and 13 men could see us win the second Test. Here's hoping...

vbfg

Juniors
ozbash said:

The only reason for neutral refs to my mind is to make sure both teams are unfamiliar with the interpretations that particular ref plays. I don't have any problem with the impartiality of any British or Aussie ref, either would call it as they normally see it.

yakstorm

First Grade
Nah acctually the statistics show that when it came to going back 10ms Australia had the advantage.

Distance Avg:
GB - 9.87 meters
Aus - 9.21 meters

Sure 60 or so centimeters isn't much, but at least it squashes everyone going on 'oh GB were too favoured in the 10'.

ozbash

Referee
vbfg said:
ozbash said:

The only reason for neutral refs to my mind is to make sure both teams are unfamiliar with the interpretations that particular ref plays. I don't have any problem with the impartiality of any British or Aussie ref, either would call it as they normally see it.

fair enough , but shouldnt the interpretations be universal ?

rugby league is rugby league ?