What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia v India 2nd (New Years) Test SCG

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
So we've got India promising a better "fight" for Wednesday's test.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22986093-23212,00.html

Kumble promises improvement
By Paul Mulvey
December 29, 2007

INDIAN captain Anil Kumble believes his much vaunted batting lineup will find the runs they need to make a contest out of the second Test in Sydney next week.
India did not reach 200 in either innings of the 337-run thumping at the MCG, with their quality roll call of batsmen failing to make an impact.

While Sachin Tendulkar made a sparkling 62 in the first innings, no-one else passed 50 as the strong batting line-up was strangled by Australia's pace trio.

Kumble defended the tourists' gamble to lift Rahul Dravid to open the batting to accommodate Yuvraj Singh in the middle order after both batsmen failed dismally.

Dravid, one of the greats of Indian cricket, looked like a rabbit in the spotlight against Australia's pace attack, taking 66 balls to score five runs in the first innings and 114 balls to score 15 in the second.

Yuvraj, fresh from scoring 169 earlier this month against Pakistan in his first Test since July 2006, scored 0 and five and moped around the field throughout the match.

But Kumble said his 169 demanded Yuvraj retained his place and while alternative openers Dinesh Karthik and Virender Sehwag have not made runs recently, Dravid's elevation up the order best suited the team balance.

He was confident Dravid, who has a Test average of 55.45 with an aggregate of 9,704 runs, will find form.

"He's too good a player to worry about his batting," Kumble said.

"I'm positive he needs to probably relax a bit more and go out there and enjoy his batting, I'm positive he will be able to do that.

"He's played more than 100 Test matches and scored more than 9000 runs, for him to feel intimidated.

"I'm really confident he will come out and bat the way he usually does."

Kumble said he would wait until next week to decide whether he would keep the same batting order for the Sydney Test, but with Karthik and Sehwag having no opportunity to press for selection, it is unlikely to change.

"It's a bit too early for me to look at those options," he said.

"We need to take a look at the pitch in Sydney and then make a call."

Kumble admitted the tourists' lack of preparation after arriving in Australia on December 18 was inadequate, with their one scheduled practice match against Victoria restricted to 48 overs of batting because of rain.

"It's not enough ... we certainly require more acclimatisation when you come to Australia," he said.

"But having said that, we had our moments when we could have got on top of Australia , especially on the second day.

"I'm pretty confident we'll be able to be more positive and do well."

Hate to say it but I can't see them challenging again.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I think it will be a lot closer

the Sydney wicket will suit them alot better

TheParraboy

Staff member
India would be preying they win the toss and then bat 3 days

Dravid 301 not out (850 balls)
Jaffer c gilchrist b lee 10 (30 balls)
Laxman run out 100 (250 balls)
Tendulkar 300 not out (400 balls)

255 overs
2 dec 711

TheParraboy

Staff member
Tonearm Terrorwrist said:
850 balls is a little light don't you think

well it is the scg

and I forgot to mention, brett lee was forced off the field after taking jaffers wicket, wont play again in the game due to an ankle injury. Plus the ICC ordered Stuart Clark to bowl only off spin in this game

TheParraboy said:
well it is the scg

and I forgot to mention, brett lee was forced off the field after taking jaffers wicket, wont play again in the game due to an ankle injury. Plus the ICC ordered Stuart Clark to bowl only off spin in this game

:lol: LOL

i'll be there on day one. india better bat first, i want to watch sachin

griffo346

First Grade
Okay lets see if we can get into the minds of the selecters and predict our teams for this match

IMO Australia will remian unchanged

Australia

Matt Hayden
Phil Jaques
Ricky Ponting
Michael Clarke
Mike Hussey
Andrew Symonds
Adam Gilchrist
Brad Hogg
Brett Lee
Stuart Clark
Mitchell Johnson

Shaun Tait

India

Virender Sehwag
Wassim Jaffer
V.V.S Laxman
Sachin Tendulkar
Sourav Ganguly
Yuvraj Singh
Dhoni, MS
Irfan Pathan
Anil Kumble
Zaheer Kahn
R.P Singh

Ishant Sharma

okay guys what ya think of my selections for India http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/ausvind/content/player/236779.html

NPK

Bench
TheParraboy said:
India would be preying they win the toss and then bat 3 days

Dravid 301 not out (850 balls)
Jaffer c gilchrist b lee 10 (30 balls)
Laxman run out 100 (250 balls)
Tendulkar 300 not out (400 balls)

255 overs
2 dec 711
No legbyes or no balls in their score? :)

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Australia will go in with the same side, India will tinker with their lineup

Source: Ch9 News.

Same source also tells us Australia are at $1.04 and India is $33 to win this test. Shortest ever odds apparently.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Timmah said:
Australia will go in with the same side, India will tinker with their lineup

Source: Ch9 News.

Same source also tells us Australia are at $1.04 and India is $33 to win this test. Shortest ever odds apparently.
Put your money on the Aussies, better than bank interest.

TheParraboy

Staff member
$1000 on Australia to win (make $40)

and also....

Im gonna put $40 on India to win = collect $1320 = $280 profit (minus the $1000 Aust insurance bet, and $40 india bet)

of course im screwed if its a draw :lol:

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I think India will do better with their spinners, but can they handle our bowlers.

This will be Hogg's 2nd test in Sydney, interesting to see how he goes and Symonds might bowl his offies.

Latest posts