What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian 17 man Team Named

Murphdogg1

Juniors
Premiers dominate Kangaroo squad

Peter Cassidy

After guiding the Storm to a premiership less than 24 hours ago, Cameron Smith has been handed the captaincy of the Kangaroos for a one off test against New Zealand on October 14.
Smith joins Melbourne teammates Greg Inglis (wing), Cooper Cronk (halfback), Ryan Hoffman (back row) and Michael Crocker (interchange) in a squad heavily dominated by the 2007 champions.
Manly fullback Brett Stewart has claimed the coveted No.1 jersey ahead of a strong field including Matt Bowen and Billy Slater, while Cronk's performance in Sunday night's grand final was enough to edge him in front of Matt Orford.
Bulldog's enforcer Willie Mason has been relegated to a bench role, while fellow Belmore boys Andrew Ryan and Mark O'Meley were not named.
Cronulla's dynamic duo of Greg Bird and Paul Gallen both snatched starting jerseys with Bird claiming the No.6 after a stand out performance for NSW in Origin III.

Kangaroos
1. Brett Stewart (Sea Eagles), 2. Greg Inglis (Storm), 3. Mark Gasnier (Dragons), 4. Justin Hodges (Broncos), 5. Jarryd Hayne (Eels), 6. Greg Bird (Sharks), 7. Cooper Cronk (Storm), 8. Brent Kite (Sea Eagles), 9. Cameron Smith (Storm) (c), 10. Petero Civoniceva (Broncos), 11. Nathan Hindmarsh (Eels), 12. Ryan Hoffman (Storm), 13. Paul Gallen (Sharks)
Interchange: 14. Kurt Gidley (Knights), 15. Willie Mason (Bulldogs), 16. Steve Price (Warriors), 17. Michael Crocker (Storm)
Coach: Ricky Stuart

http://www.livenews.com.au/Articles/2007/10/01/Premiers_dominate_Kangaroo_squad

Jordan

Juniors
I have no idea what Bowen has to do to make the side. It's pretty much safe to say that he wont ever play for Australia again by the looks of it.

I would've had Slater over crosseyed Stewart as well..

Good to see Price back in the team though.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Gidley????????????????????????

Seriously???????????????????

Does anyone here actually watch the Newcastle games or just read the hype about him in the papers? And do the selectors do the same thing?

He busts his hump, but he's not an overly talented footballer to say the least...

Misanthrope

Staff member
Does anyone here actually watch the Newcastle games or just read the hype about him in the papers? And do the selectors do the same thing?

Maybe if you'd watched any Newcastle games this year, you'd see why he is in the squad. I'm sure the view from your ass gives you a unique perspective on the situation - but try removing your head from the depths of your colon sometime to give the real world a look. It'll change your life.

T

Juniors
ROFL wtf gidley is an outrageous selection, i would have had plays that showed form during the year in the team, IE Anasta at 5/8 with bird or farah as the utility on the bench, Kite and mason can consider themselves lucky, ben cross outplayed both in the later part of the season

Garts

Bench
No Watmough? That is a joke, he has been great all season. Sure he played crap last night but so did everyone else for Manly

nqboy

First Grade
Kite??? Gidley??? ROFL. And Price, the closest thing we have to an 80 minute prop, picked on the bench. For his impact, perhaps?

It wasn't an easy job this time around with all the players out but they definitely could and should have done better.

LOL at the Bruise Brothers, Bird and Gallen. Will they be having saucers of milk during the bonding sessions?

nqboy

First Grade
Garts said:
True, but I still thought he deserved a shot. Hope it is a kick up the arse for him.
In the biggest game of the year, he had a shocker. It's no good talking the talk if you can't walk the walk.

Kornstar

Coach
Atleast Cameron Smith will be there to make Cronk look good again.....Prince was 10 times better than Cronk this year!!

Ridders

Coach
Gidley's selection is a joke, his best work for Newcastle was at fullback whereas in this game he'll be playing halves or hooker, where he's average.

Can't believe Kite got run on over Price , he got dominated by the Melbourne pack. To me Price isn't really a bench player, like him being a run on so that he can get through a mountain of work

Misanthrope

Staff member
Gidley's selection is a joke, his best work for Newcastle was at fullback whereas in this game he'll be playing halves or hooker, where he's average.

He clearly should have been given the #1 ahead of Stewart. He performed there all year in an ordinary team. :crazy:

Shorty

Staff member
Kurt Gidley??
What a joke.

I understand Bowen wasn't going to be selected as Thursty was out however I thought he might have atleast got a spot on the bench - Gidley was useless off the bench in all Origin games.

The rest of the players look great,I really look forward to Bird being at 5/8 with the aggression he brings.