What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian AS v Tonga

roughyedspud

Coach
i assume the tonga team,and the fiji team last week, are made of players from the domestic comps? so they are really 'A' teams?

nadera78

Juniors
i assume the tonga team,and the fiji team last week, are made of players from the domestic comps? so they are really 'A' teams?

Fiji use the title 'Fiji A' when it's a team made up of expats and ancestrals living in Australia. When it's a team of locals they regard it as the national team, just without a few guys playing overseas.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I assume it was, as the ones who would normally play including the game against the Junior Kangaroos last year are currently playing in the NRL/NSWcup/Toyota Cup

From Rugby League Review:

The Affiliated States finished their tour with a 34 - 12 loss to Tonga before a crowd of 3,000 after being down 26 - 0 at half-time.

Sione Kaati scored two tries for the Tongans while the other four pointers came from Etueni Siua, Lisiate Kuli, Taufa f**kof**ka and Siolei Bloomfield. Kulia also added four goals.

These are players from the domestic competition - a couple of them also played in the 2006 Federation Shield.

This month RLR also carries details from a two division Tongan competition... I didn't realise there was that much depth in Tonga...

roughyedspud

Coach
the GB community lions (like BARLA but not as good) are in australia for a quad series involving the Affiliated states,nsw & QLD..

roopy

Referee
the GB community lions (like BARLA but not as good) are in australia for a quad series involving the Affiliated states,nsw & QLD..
They must feel ripped off.
I know i would much rather tour Fiji, Tonga and Samoa than stinking old Sydney.

The consensus of opinion is that they're going to get lapped by the Jim Beam Cup and Queensland Rangers...

There's a thread on it in the WARL forum... they've played a game so far and won against the Qld Universities XIII 56 - 0.

GBCL is basically BARLA. There's only one player in the squad that does not play in the National Conference Div 1 so it's not a weak side. All four sides will be very even. There was nothing between Country, Rangers and JBC last year and that should be the case again, although Country is badly understrength.