What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian response to the Haka!

So why is it that the Kiwis get the chance to fire themselves up before every game and the Aussies just have to stand there and take it?

I'm not disrespecting the Haka, I dead set love seeing them do it, it raises the passion of their game and I love seeing the emotion come pouring out.

BUT

I think the Aussies should be allowed to fire themselves up with a similar type thing.

I propose that before kick off all the Aussies line up and sing 'Working Class Man'.

Then try and stop us!

NPK

Bench
Even though I'm not a fan of Union, I loved how the Wallabies did some drills after the haka in a game earlier in the year..the looks on the All Blacks players' faces were priceless..they were pissed off that they had lost the momentum/adrenalin that the haka gave them.

NPK said:
Even though I'm not a fan of Union, I loved how the Wallabies did some drills after the haka in a game earlier in the year..the looks on the All Blacks players' faces were priceless..they were pissed off that they had lost the momentum/adrenalin that the haka gave them.

I agree with this and had to give it to the wallabies, it seems to work to great effect.

As a kiwi i have alot of time for the haka and like it to be respected, but at the same time i dont expect the aussies to just stand there and take it. There are smart ways of laying down a challenge yourself to the haka.

Running drills or getting into a huddle is a far smarter way of combating the haka than Big Willie hurling abuse at the kiwis during it. I was embarassed for him to be honest.

Willie once again showed his lack of anything in the top two inches - it takes a real coward to mouth off at people and then waddle off and sit on the bench while the aftermath of your actions get taken out on your team mates

eels_fan_01

Bench
Im starting to like big Willie, hes a funny guy. Hes got guts, i wouldnt be saying anything watching those monsters do a war cry. I remember Brett Kimmorely used to yawn constantly and look like he was falling to sleep. The haka adds to any sport, i would love to see it in cricket. That would be funny, get all pumped up and then play a sport start game for 6 hours.

gosh we don't need that in cricket, they will be trying to hit a 6 from the first ball.

could scare us with waltzing matilda. it works for the wallabies, not.

eels_fan_01

Bench
douglasallen91 said:
gosh we don't need that in cricket, they will be trying to hit a 6 from the first ball.

could scare us with waltzing matilda. it works for the wallabies, not.

I see your point.

I think GB should introduce their own song instead of a war cry before the match to the tune of jitterbug.

We got no chance....we got no chance....you put the boom boom into our face, you let us see how much we suck.

I know it wasnt the best but its all i got.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Anyone who thinks Willie deserves to be crucified for last night is kidding themselves. The Kiwi haka is a war cry. They shouldn't have to sit there and take it. It adds fire, it mounts the challenge.

The Tele will do anything to fill it's pages.

aqua_duck

Coach
NPK said:
I thought nit was poor form, and it just annoyed the all blacks even more and well the result is on the board

ozbash

Referee
Timmah said:
Anyone who thinks Willie deserves to be crucified for last night is kidding themselves. The Kiwi haka is a war cry. They shouldn't have to sit there and take it. It adds fire, it mounts the challenge.

The Tele will do anything to fill it's pages.

willie was gutless tim, he hid behind his team when he told the kiwis to get f**ked while they performed the haka.

http://www.haka.co.nz/haka.php will give you a rough idea of what its about.

the nz maori performed a haka this year before the game v cook islands and it ened in a major brawl. the cooks answered the haka = challenge.

the all blacks performed a haka before a test v england and it ended up in a punch up between the 2 hookers (norm maxwell and cockerell,the pommy hooker) cockerell answered the haka = challenge.

both instances signify the relevance of haka, it is a challenge to be answered.

willie ? gutless prick mouthed off behind the skirts of the ARL and played on the fact that the kiwis wouldnt do anything at the time. he didnt answer the challenge.

Voice of Reason

Juniors
Another dimesion to this that hasnt been mentioned yet-this incident shows the way the media collaborate to generate stories and are driven by self-interest. The channel 9 broadcast was delayed are surely they must have known that broadcasting Willies response was going to cause a drama and they had the opportunity to edit it out but they didn,t- why- because it would give them news content, it gave their bed partners News Ltd fodder to put in its trash Telegraph and it gave their other partner Foxsports trash to dishup in BackPage and Main Game. They try to tell the public that they have the game and fans interest at heart but this is yet another example that they only care exclusively about themselves and money. I am not surprised at anything from 9 anymore!:crazy:

Nook

Bench
"Voice of reason" - was that meant to be ironic?

Why on earth would Ch 9 not show it?

Something interesting happened and they broadcast it.

It isn't their job to look after Willie Mason or RL - it is their job to telecast it.

Blame Ch 9 not Mason, I've heard it all now.

innsaneink

Referee
Voice of Reason said:
Another dimesion to this that hasnt been mentioned yet-this incident shows the way the media collaborate to generate stories and are driven by self-interest. The channel 9 broadcast was delayed are surely they must have known that broadcasting Willies response was going to cause a drama and they had the opportunity to edit it out but they didn,t- why- because it would give them news content, it gave their bed partners News Ltd fodder to put in its trash Telegraph and it gave their other partner Foxsports trash to dishup in BackPage and Main Game. They try to tell the public that they have the game and fans interest at heart but this is yet another example that they only care exclusively about themselves and money. I am not surprised at anything from 9 anymore!:crazy:

Apparently 9 took the vision from TVNZ or watver its called, they got what theyre given, it was discussed this morning on radio.

And even if they did have the chance to edit it, why wouldnt they edit the fight too?
I mean theres more trash for the media to dish up

Voice of Reason

Juniors
If I,m not mistaking it channel 9's job to look after its shareholders and clearly this has been done at the expense of the interest of the game eg: game image damage with the Mason incident, ridiculus broadcast times in Victoria, delayed not live telecasts etc...I didnt say or even imply anything to do with blame, willies a big boy and if he wants to live by the sword so be it. All I was saying is that Channel 9 had the choice to show or not show the incident and they took the former because it was best for them and their partners not necessarily the game.

100%green

Juniors
Even if it was edited it would have been a story anyway. The Kiwis who were there and who watched it live in NZ would have been pissed. I can't stand Nine at the best of times, but it's not there job to edit idiotic behaviour from Mason.

ozbash

Referee
Apparently 9 took the vision from TVNZ or watver its called

its called SKY or Fox.

JoeD

First Grade
Willie is a clown but as a kiwi i love him for it. You love to hate him so whats the problem?

Hutty1986

Immortal
Mixmasterreece said:
I agree with this and had to give it to the wallabies, it seems to work to great effect.

As a kiwi i have alot of time for the haka and like it to be respected, but at the same time i dont expect the aussies to just stand there and take it. There are smart ways of laying down a challenge yourself to the haka.

Running drills or getting into a huddle is a far smarter way of combating the haka than Big Willie hurling abuse at the kiwis during it. I was embarassed for him to be honest.

Willie once again showed his lack of anything in the top two inches - it takes a real coward to mouth off at people and then waddle off and sit on the bench while the aftermath of your actions get taken out on your team mates

It's more to do with the fact the coach started Mason on the bench.. nothing to do with cowardice whatsoever

Latest posts