What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian response to the Haka!

ozbash

Referee
miccle said:
Here's my two cents about it and it's pretty simple when you think about it.

Everyone must, and does respect the haka. It's an awesome tradition and I think it's absolutely fantastic that it has been carried on for so many years - makes a great spectacle.

In saying that, I believe that turning your back on the haka is a really wrong thing to do. It ignores everything that is good about it, and will generally make things a lot worse once the whistle blows.

When it gets down to it, it's a war dance. It's there to psychologically intimidate the opposition and there is a way to reverse it.

Don't turn away, don't just stand there.

The entire Aussie team should advance to being just five metres away from the front line of the haka. Arms around each other, one unbroken line. Each player has one Kiwi to absolutely stare down the whole time. Smile at him, or just stare right back. Mouth off at them, laugh... do whatever. They have that look in their eyes to intimidate their opponents, and while we have to respect that I really believe we have to give some of our own back.

Personally I'd love to see the Aussie team march up almost face to face while the Kiwis are doing their thing. Stare them down, in their eyes the whole time. Show them that they really aren't scary.

Regardless, it's awesome - and the more intense, the better.

a rare breed, an aussie with a couple of clues. :lol:

that is exactly what the haka is all about.

you should see some of the maori colleges perform their respective haka at footy games, its warfare.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
I'm still waiting to hear from you in what areas Australia out does New Zealand in both it's cultural substance.

:lol:

Our culture is why 10% of your countrymen live in Australia, as well as 100,000 people immigrate here and a waiting lists a decade long.

Our culture endorses and promotes economic and political freedom.

You can have all these dumbarse countries with fatty foods and silly costumes they pull out once a year for some ceremonies, but at the end of the day what is important is how much cash you have in your wallet at the end of the working week, and no police/government figures stick their nose in business that doesn't belong to them.

These things don't happen by mistake, it takes a culture to build it up and manifest itself into something acceptable, Australia's is more acceptable than most places in the world.

That's why millions of people want to move to Australia, and about 23 Aussies want to move elsewhere.

_Johnsy

Referee
I ask you a few questions, and all you can come up with is a couple of 1/2 baked smart ass responses, no really, a job well done. I see you think willie is a moron, you are more than likely correct, I have never met the man. If he is this does not make every aussie culturally void. However I see this line of thinking makes you feel better/happy about your place in the world. If this is the case go right ahead champ.

I would like to know where and how long you stayed in aus, and what exposure you had to ATSI culture & issues in real life (not via TV) to form your opinion.

I would like to extend an invitation, next time you are in townsville, please drop me a line & I will endeavour to show what the real issues are. Not the ones that do-gooders cry foul about when something goes pear shaped, Not the issues that some ATSI legal aid reps, advocates cry about when a camera is shoved in their face, not the ones that law/policy makers deem important, while at the same time withdraw funding from. These factors may "help" you form your opinion of how australia treats/respects the original inhabitants of this country.

Latest posts