What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian response to the Haka!

_Johnsy said:
In respect to your dent little pride about cultural sensitivity & respect, read my above post that relates to booing during a national anthem, tosser. I see you must spend most of your time in areas that have a high indigenous population, you clearly have no idea. I see you like to pigeon hole us with no factual basis, well here is one for you. Go back down the local pub, get a skinfull and then go home and belt your missus.

Touche.

Had to edit that one did ya mate ? Didnt say enough first time round ?

" I see you must spend most of your time in areas that have a high indigenous population, you clearly have no idea."

What in f#cks name do you mean by that? It such a rant that I cant even decipher what you are referring to here.

Im pigeon holing you? Well please, feel free to enlighten me otherwise, show me your proud relationship with your indigenous population. Please...

Martli

Coach
Who cares what Willie did. The haka adds fuel to the fire, willie mouthing off adds fuel to the fire - it makes the game waaaaaay more brutal which is ebtter to watch. Seriously, those first 20 minutes were some brutal rugby league and I loved every second of it.

And to the idiots mocking each others culture (Aussies and Kiwis) - it's no way to argue this topic. All you're doing is making your own culture look pathetic...

Martli said:
Who cares what Willie did. The haka adds fuel to the fire, willie mouthing off adds fuel to the fire - it makes the game waaaaaay more brutal which is ebtter to watch. Seriously, those first 20 minutes were some brutal rugby league and I loved every second of it.

Agreed, it did make for some fantastic viewing

ozbash

Referee
_Johnsy said:
In respect to your dent little pride about cultural sensitivity & respect, read my above post that relates to booing during a national anthem, tosser. I see you must spend most of your time in areas that have a high indigenous population, you clearly have no idea. I see you like to pigeon hole us with no factual basis, well here is one for you. Go back down the local pub, get a skinfull and then go home and belt your missus.

Touche.

cultural sensitivity seems to touch a raw nerve with culturaly insensitive aussies.

and talk about pigeon holing ,, jake the muss would be proud of ya johnsy.

miccle

Bench
Here's my two cents about it and it's pretty simple when you think about it.

Everyone must, and does respect the haka. It's an awesome tradition and I think it's absolutely fantastic that it has been carried on for so many years - makes a great spectacle.

In saying that, I believe that turning your back on the haka is a really wrong thing to do. It ignores everything that is good about it, and will generally make things a lot worse once the whistle blows.

When it gets down to it, it's a war dance. It's there to psychologically intimidate the opposition and there is a way to reverse it.

Don't turn away, don't just stand there.

The entire Aussie team should advance to being just five metres away from the front line of the haka. Arms around each other, one unbroken line. Each player has one Kiwi to absolutely stare down the whole time. Smile at him, or just stare right back. Mouth off at them, laugh... do whatever. They have that look in their eyes to intimidate their opponents, and while we have to respect that I really believe we have to give some of our own back.

Personally I'd love to see the Aussie team march up almost face to face while the Kiwis are doing their thing. Stare them down, in their eyes the whole time. Show them that they really aren't scary.

Regardless, it's awesome - and the more intense, the better.

yobbo84

Coach
miccle said:
Personally I'd love to see the Aussie team march up almost face to face while the Kiwis are doing their thing. Stare them down, in their eyes the whole time. Show them that they really aren't scary.

That would be awesome. No swearing/mouthing off, but to have them walking forward would be a sight to see (you see it when opposing haka's/war dances happen in inter-pacific island matches).

miccle

Bench
Hell yeah - it'd really add to the spectacle. Pretty much everyone I've mentioned it to have been all for the idea.

One of my mates suggested that Hunt should start doing the Haka right back at them before the Melbourne game this weekend :lol:

yobbo84 said:
That would be awesome. No swearing/mouthing off, but to have them walking forward would be a sight to see (you see it when opposing haka's/war dances happen in inter-pacific island matches).

As a kiwi I 2nd that, that would be bloody awesome.

I think the day they did that it would be one of the most firey tests of all time.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
I didnt see it as I watched a replay on fox. I wanna see this 'incident' I reckon it's funny. from what i've heard it isnt like he was scraming at them.

Martli

Coach
miccle said:
In saying that, I believe that turning your back on the haka is a really wrong thing to do. It ignores everything that is good about it, and will generally make things a lot worse once the whistle blows.

In my opinion, turning your back shows you're scared.

Getting in each others faces would be awesome, but I think they have rules against it now days. I remember doing a haka in my first XV and we were told we had to be like 10m away from the other team and weren't allowed to go forward.

Ricardihno

Juniors
The Electric Horseman said:
You want to see the re-introduction of the Kangaroos war cry?

Im tellin you..the Kangaroos should just break out into the Macarena after the haka....what a priceless piss take..the crowd would go bananas HAHA

JoeD

First Grade
The entire Aussie team should advance to being just five metres away from the front line of the haka. Arms around each other, one unbroken line. Each player has one Kiwi to absolutely stare down the whole time. Smile at him, or just stare right back. Mouth off at them, laugh... do whatever. They have that look in their eyes to intimidate their opponents, and while we have to respect that I really believe we have to give some of our own back.

Regardless, it's awesome - and the more intense, the better.
Great post. It is exactly what the aussies should do. I have no problem with Willie doing what he did either though. The haka is a challenge and he responded the only way he knew how. I don't think anyone can moan about how someone reacts to the haka. Performing the haka is a personal thing and the reaction should be also. It will be very interesting to see what happens this weekend. Half the cameras will be on th Kiwis and the other half will be zoomed in on Willie to see his lips move. :)

ozboy

Juniors
Poor precious Kiwis.

Somebody disrespected the almighty Haka.

I agree with what somebody said earlier, they should break out with the Macarena during the Haka.

_Johnsy

Referee
Mixmasterreece said:
Had to edit that one did ya mate ? Didnt say enough first time round ?

" I see you must spend most of your time in areas that have a high indigenous population, you clearly have no idea."

What in f#cks name do you mean by that? It such a rant that I cant even decipher what you are referring to here.

Im pigeon holing you? Well please, feel free to enlighten me otherwise, show me your proud relationship with your indigenous population. Please...

The edit was to correct a typo.

That comment was directed to your apparent in depth knowledge of how Australia as a whole treats it's indigenous people.

Have you spent hours and hours studying the topic or you have spent numerous hours in communities that are domianted by our indigenous people. I am amazed that this needed to be clarified, actually I am not really you obviously speak then think. If you have not done either of these how do you explain your apparent intimate knowledge of the topic? Surely you have an intimate knowledge of this topic to use such broad sweeping statements you did in the initial post i replied to.

Would you like me to explain my relationship with indigenous australians in a professional and social context?, Or would you like me to expalin the relationship approx 17.5 million australians, as a whole group or single entity, have with the other .5 million aussies of indigenous extraction?

If this You are clearly out of your depth if this needed to be explained. Please enlighten me as to how you justify your comments either to me or Australia as a nation.

ocko

juniors
posted this in the other thread...taken from another message board:

This crap is meant to intimidate the opposition and uses the threat of violence as its basis.

But if anyone says anything about it, they get all offended.

Why are they allowed to carry on with this sh*t?

If they substituted it for their national anthem and aim it at the crowd, I would not have a problem with it.

Why do they get this special advantage?

Like I said, f**k em, and f**k their Harka.

(PS I dont give a f**k if I didnt spell it correctly).

Stewie Griffin

Juniors
righto... in the next match, the aussies should just smile innocently while they are doing the haka!!! maybe even break out into a laughter!! haha that would be so sweet to see.. the kiwi's haka being humiliated right in front of them... that'll show them a real disrespect for the haka!!!

hunt doing the haka with them would also be one of the greatest moments in test history!!!

_Johnsy said:
"The edit was to correct a typo. "

Sure it was fun boy, sure it was - thats why you added 2 extra sentences to it. Anyway its a mute point but god knows why you bothered to lie about it.
That comment was directed to your apparent in depth knowledge of how Australia as a whole treats it's indigenous people.

You dont need to put a sh#t under a microscope to know its a sh#t mate.

Have you spent hours and hours studying the topic or you have spent numerous hours in communities that are domianted by our indigenous people. I am amazed that this needed to be clarified, actually I am not really you obviously speak then think. If you have not done either of these how do you explain your apparent intimate knowledge of the topic? Surely you have an intimate knowledge of this topic to use such broad sweeping statements you did in the initial post i replied to.

Unfortunately I spent a couple of years over your side of the ditch. That was long enough to see the total lack of disrespect Australians in general have for their indigenous population. Infact the over whelming feeling was one of disgust towards them. The media portray aboriginis in Australia one way and the man on the street follows suit.

You were talking about pidgeon holing people before, well it seems that alot of Australians have done just that with aboriginis - "unemployed drunks"

Would you like me to explain my relationship with indigenous australians in a professional and social context?, Or would you like me to expalin the relationship approx 17.5 million australians, as a whole group or single entity, have with the other .5 million aussies of indigenous extraction?

Yeah mate go for it - I would love to hear it. Explain to me how exactly aboriginis have more of an impact on the culture in Australians than say gypsies.

The fact of the matter is they don't - and as I explained before - the only time they make an appearance is when you wheel them out for a tourism ad.

If this You are clearly out of your depth if this needed to be explained. Please enlighten me as to how you justify your comments either to me or Australia as a nation.

Mate just because youve watched the first 2 seasons of 'Boston Legal' and think your Danny Crane, it doesnt mean that you can win an argument just on how good your argument sounds. All you have done in your last point is ask if I want aspects of your culture explained. You have not gone on to defend your culture (or lack of it) or disprove anything I have stated in my previous posts.

So wheel out the stats, prove me wrong. Show me where aboriginis figure in your culture - and selling didgeridoos at dreamworld isnt counted. Show me anything that demonstrates how Australians actually respect any other nations culture. ...

Willie Mason went out on Saturday and showed a complete lack of tact when dealing with another countries culture. There are far better ways of dealing with the Haka (ideas have been floated in this thread in others) that might actually inflict a mental blow on the kiwis. If abuse and foul language are how Australians deal with the culture of another country then thats really saying something.

But hay, instead of coming on here and saying you agreed with what Mason was trying to do but possibly he could of gone about it better, you and other Australians opened up the flood gates. Hay you may think we are 'dole bludgers' and 'sheep shaggers', but I'd sure as hell rather be labelled that than ignorant, rude and disrespectful to anyone except yourselves.

It amuses me that you think you can attack the culture of another country when your backyard is so piss weak. I'm still waiting to hear from you in what areas Australia out does New Zealand in both it's cultural substance, and it's treatment of its indigenous population.

Guys like Willie Mason do Australians no favours. If I was an Australian id be embarrassed by his actions on Saturday night. I certainly wouldnt support a kiwi who did something similar.

Latest posts