What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian Rugby League Commission buys iconic hotel and restaurant

Wb1234

Referee
Great move

with the Olympics hotel prices will boom

plus the arlc can keep all the money it spends on hiring hotels for travelling teams to Brisbane in-house now rather than giving the profits away to someone else

sadly Nick polities is already having a whinge about this despite the fact that he did the same for the roosters

the nrls aim should be to have one billion in high yielding property assets

Frailty

First Grade
Anyone got access? What are the clubs bosses whining about now?

Can't read, but it's likely because it's been reported that V'Landys has done this whilst bypassing the investment committee to ensure proper evaluation and ensure responsible investment. As far as I'm aware, Politis, Morris, and Pappas are all on this committee.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Can't read, but it's likely because it's been reported that V'Landys has done this whilst bypassing the investment committee to ensure proper evaluation and ensure responsible investment. As far as I'm aware, Politis, Morris, and Pappas are all on this committee.
Seems your right. So Vlandys lol

Snippet of the article:
Three of the National Rugby League's "most powerful figures" -- Broncos Chair Karl Morris, Sydney Roosters Chair Nick Politis and South Sydney Chair Nick Pappas -- are "weighing up their futures on the game’s investment committee" after being left stunned by the ARL Commission’s decision to "buy the iconic Gambaro’s hotel and restaurant in Brisbane." Morris, Politis and Pappas were reportedly "caught off guard on Monday" when the ARLC announced it had entered the hotel and restaurant game. It is understood the commission spent more than A$25M ($17M) on Gambaro’s, which is located "a stone’s throw from Suncorp Stadium" and is set to be themed as an NRL hotel with rooms named after legendary players

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
I`m o.k if he bypassed the ` investment committee` because what the blazes have they achieved so far ? Looks like if he waited for them they`d do nothing.
My only question is whether this is part of a broader strategy with regards property or hotel assets or this is going to be a random one-off purchase. Hopefully there`s some broader strategy behind it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I`m o.k if he bypassed the ` investment committee` because what the blazes have they achieved so far ? Looks like if he waited for them they`d do nothing.
My only question is whether this is part of a broader strategy with regards property or hotel assets or this is going to be a random one-off purchase. Hopefully there`s some broader strategy behind it.
Its good to see them finally building a diversified asset base. $4billion of revenue in last 10 years and no assets to show for it is an incredibly poor outcome for the game.

No point of having a committee if decisions are made unilaterally. But thats Vlandys way, might as well disband any consultation with anyone with him in charge.

Last edited:

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Well I am noy happy each year they have a seafood festival and a few of mates and I have a tradition of going to Gambaro's that day for $100 seafood platter.

I do not want a Wally Lewis Burger or Mal's fries or Slater soft ice cream...

Wb1234

Referee
Its good to see them finally building a diversified asset base. $4billion of revenue in last 10 years and no assets to show for it is an incredibly poor outcome for the game.

No point of having a committee if decisions are made unilaterally. But thats Vlandys way, might as well disband any consultation with anyone with him in charge.
The no assets line is bs

they have 170 cash at bank. Cash is an asset

they own rugby league central. That’s worth 15 million

Snippet of the article:
Three of the National Rugby League's "most powerful figures" -- Broncos Chair Karl Morris, Sydney Roosters Chair Nick Politis and South Sydney Chair Nick Pappas -- are "weighing up their futures on the game’s investment committee" after being left stunned by the ARL Commission’s decision to "buy the iconic Gambaro’s hotel and restaurant in Brisbane." Morris, Politis and Pappas were reportedly "caught off guard on Monday" when the ARLC announced it had entered the hotel and restaurant game. It is understood the commission spent more than A$25M ($17M) on Gambaro’s, which is located "a stone’s throw from Suncorp Stadium" and is set to be themed as an NRL hotel with rooms named after legendary players
Don't know how I'll bring myself to watch the football this weekend knowing that those 3 may walk from that committee.

In bits here now.

• Haha
Reactions: Vee

simmo05

Bench

Snippet of the article:
Can't wait to throw one up me Mrs in the luke brooks room

Iamback

Coach

I don't imagine they will buy a random pub in the bush somewhere

But having a 60 room hotel right next to Suncorp makes sense given next year it will have a game weekly. If you are going to pay a couple of hundred on a room it is better to go back to yourself then some random company

Iamback

Coach

Snippet of the article:

He is overseas but don't let your hatred of him get in the way of a good story

First Grade
Well I am noy happy each year they have a seafood festival and a few of mates and I have a tradition of going to Gambaro's that day for $100 seafood platter.

I do not want a Wally Lewis Burger or Mal's fries or Slater soft ice cream...
The Ponga Strawberry Milkshake should go gang busters