What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Authorities investigate medical service deal with league star Greg Inglis

Danish

Referee
Federal health authorities are investigating how rugby league star Greg Inglis came to be paid up to $90,000 a year from Medicare funds to do promotional work for the Redfern Aboriginal Medical Service, a registered charity where his club's former director is the chairman.

Inglis, a fullback for the South Sydney Rabbitohs, signed the three-year contract with Australia's largest and busiest Aboriginal medical service in December 2010. The contract was renewed in December last year at a reduced rate of $50,000.

In it, he agreed to do promotional and ambassadorial work for the AMS.

But the federal Department of Health said Medicare income at the service could only be used to fund primary health care.

"Medicare income in grant-funded Aboriginal medical services must be used for primary health care services," a spokeswoman for the department said.

http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/le...h-league-star-greg-inglis-20140509-zr8bz.html

What a champion Inglis is. Demanding $90k per year to do promotional work for a charity which is the busiest medical facility for underprivileged Aboriginals in Redfern.

A true role model for the indigenous community, our Greggie

Johns Magic

Referee
Who gives a f**k? I doubt he researched every nook and crannie of the agreement and why would he?

The sponsors got it wrong, not Souths or Inglis.

Big Sam

First Grade
What a champion Inglis is. Demanding $90k per year to do promotional work for a charity which is the busiest medical facility for underprivileged Aboriginals in Redfern.

A true role model for the indigenous community, our Greggie

Do you know the opportunity cost of the AMS not having him as an ambassador?

Oh and remind me again which rorter players do work for the Indigenous community.

Danish

Referee

Oh and remind me again which rorter players do work for the Indigenous community.

Inglis has a history of being paid money by charities outside the salary cap under he guide of indigenous work.

The storm were funnelling money to him through the Unity Fund (a charity for at risk indigenous youth in Melbourne) during their salary cap scandal.

True charity doesn't involve lining your pockets

Matchball

Bench
If there is anything to learn, don't donate to charities.
The money gets lost in admin and this kind of bullshit and doesn't reach the ones it's intended for.

Thanks for the refresher course Greg.

seaeagle sam

Taking cash cash from primary health funds to thicken his wallet, be it indigenous or not, is pretty f**king f**ked. Greedy merkin.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
The issue I see here is if this is a third party agreement. It looks like souths have arranged this. I'm assuming that this is included in the cap.

Opportunity cost?

WTF are you on about?

That's like saying if a disability service spent government money intended to provide services to people with a disability, to pay greg to be the face of disability, they would get more people with a disability going to them!

Utter miss use of funding.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not a good luck for one of the games ambassadors, getting paid to do something for a charity is pretty weak when your a millionaire sportsman.

Latest posts