What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Authorities investigate medical service deal with league star Greg Inglis

Big Sam

First Grade
10 pages of typical drivel and nobody has answered my question of opportunity cost.
If they hadn't paid Inglis, would AMS have the level of exposure they do now? How many Aboriginal people are now using the service because of GI's impact?

AMS might very well think that the social value far outweighs the monetary provision to Inglis. That they now have a potential problem with Medicare is neither Inglis' nor Souths' issue.

OP also hasn't provided any rorter players who do work with Indigenous communities. In fact what is the Easts club's contribution over the last few years to charity (and I'm not talking about their major sponsor donating 1k for each try scored)?

Danish

Referee
10 pages of typical drivel and nobody has answered my question of opportunity cost.
If they hadn't paid Inglis, would AMS have the level of exposure they do now? How many Aboriginal people are now using the service because of GI's impact?

AMS might very well think that the social value far outweighs the monetary provision to Inglis. That they now have a potential problem with Medicare is neither Inglis' nor Souths' issue.

OP also hasn't provided any rorter players who do work with Indigenous communities. In fact what is the Easts club's contribution over the last few years to charity (and I'm not talking about their major sponsor donating 1k for each try scored)?

The roosters donate $250 for every point we win by plus $1000 for every U20s win to the charity nest you f**king ponce. Combined Steggles and the Roosters have donated $1.5 million since the program started (about a 33%/66% split in favour of Steggles). There are also plenty of trips to the Sydney childrens hospital, schools, and other such appearances (no payment required to the players btw)

I'm sure the federal investigation will answer all the questions you have posed as well. They are very interested in the payments given they were initially not declared to them by the AMS. Inglis also does not appear on any of the AMS websites, no photo ops, nothing.

Rest assured Sammy what if any work Inglis does for them will be made very clear by the end :cool:

Last edited:

Big Sam

First Grade
How do you know appearing on a website was part of the job role? For all you (and I) know, his role might simply have involved going down to The Block and encouraging Aboriginal people to get themselves checked out (and how can you put a value on that?).

I don't know this, you don't know this, and nobody who had contributed to this debate so far knows this. The thread is simply the usual character assassination we often see on this forum.

Last edited:

Danish

Referee
How do you know appearing on a website was part of the job role? For all you (and I) know, his role might simply have involved going down to The Block and encouraging Aboriginal people to get themselves checked out (and how can you put a value on that?).

I don't know this, you don't know this, and nobody who had contributed to this debate so far knows this. The thread is simply the usual character assassination we often see on this forum.

It doesn't matter what Inglis has done for them. Whatever it is, he should have done it for free. Thats the bottom line, and that is why the vast majority of people think his actions are deplorable

If he cared about indigenous people accessing health services, he would have done this for nothing.

You can't go defending this talking opportunity cost etc. rubbish argument.

He did it for money, no other reason and it's a disgrace.

It is also a disgrace that the organization paid him!

Jaegerex

Juniors
Sure it would be nice if Inglis did the work for free but crucifying for accepting payment from a charity seeking to use his profile for a net gain in is pretty harsh.
The main issue here is that AMS has been paying him from medicare granted funds rather than say private donations which employing Inglis might help in recieving these private donations.
Which if he has been paid for with funds from medicare grants AMS is severly at fault at, and may end up with fines and a decreased grant going forward you would imagine.

kbw

Bench
I do get it. I get that Greg Inglis is not a criminal and that he took money willingly given to him in a type of business transaction that is common in the charity world.

The difference here is that others actually do something to earn the money, Ingli$ just takes it

Mr Spock!

Referee
It doesn't matter what Inglis has done for them. Whatever it is, he should have done it for free. Thats the bottom line, and that is why the vast majority of people think his actions are deplorable

Yes of course. AMS disagrees with you. Better stick with Uncle Nick's brown paper bags.

NRL star Greg Inglis will continue his $50,000 a year job with an Aboriginal charity amid an investigation into the use of Medicare funds to pay him for his services.
Inglis signed a three-year deal with Redfern Aboriginal Medical Service (AMS) in December 2010, where South Sydney Rabbitohs fullback has been paid as much as $90,000 for doing promotional and ambassadorial work, according to Fairfax.
The contract was last year renewed at the reduced rate of $50,000.
But the federal Department of Health's own rules dictate that Medicare income at grant-funded Aboriginal medical services "must be used for primary health care services".
The department has confirmed it is investigating despite having already looked into allegations raised about the Inglis deal.
"The department has previously considered the specific allegations raised that Greg Inglis has been paid $90,000 a year by the AMS at least in part through Medicare billings income," a spokeswoman said.
"Our investigations have found no evidence that commonwealth health funding was being used inappropriately."
The department will now consider new information received from community contacts, the spokeswoman said.
The AMS says it received conflicting advice about how the income could be used and is seeking clarification from the government about the use of the funds.
However, a spokesman for the service said Mr Inglis's role will continue.
"His role is very important for the AMS," an AMS spokesman told AAP.
"He will continue in the role - there is no question about that in our perspective."
The spokesman said Inglis was an integral part of the AMS's health campaign.
The third-party deal between Inglis and the AMS was lodged with the NRL and there has been no suggestion of any salary cap breach.

http://www.news.com.au/national/bre...party-deal-probe/story-e6frfku9-1226912737722

Mr Spock!

Referee
Australian star Greg Inglis funds dream trip for Aboriginal youth players

KANGAROOS superstar Greg Inglis is dedicating his World Cup campaign to a group of indigenous kids who received $3000 from him.

Now challenging as the greatest indigenous role model in the country, The Daily Telegraph can reveal that Inglis is using his Cup pay cheques to send an entire team of elite Aboriginal leaguies to Euro Disney in France.

The generous move, which involves purchasing tickets of around $100 for the entire squad, comes only months after the South Sydney fullback organised for a pair of young indigenous runners from Condobolin to train in Jamaica with the team of sprint sensation Usain Bolt.

Incredibly, Inglis doesn’t know any players in the NSWRL Junior Indigenous team, who will leave for their European tour on Saturday week.

"I just heard about the boys travelling overseas, heard they were going to be over this way around the same time us as, and was really excited," Inglis told The Daily Telegraph last night.

"Apparently this is the first time an indigenous youth side has toured Europe, so I wanted to get on board. Give the boys some money and help them with their trip."

Asked why he chose to send the entire squad to Euro Disney, the Australian Test favourite said: "For me, touring is about more than just the footy, it’s about seeing the world.

"Whenever I’m away with the Kangaroos, we always try to get out and see as much stuff as we can. Last night a few of the boys went to a Billy Joel concert. Others have been to English Premier League games.

"It’s about getting yourself outside of that footy scene. Breaking the tour up, having some fun with your mates and creating a bond."

Comprised of teenagers from towns like Goodooga, Gulargambone and Lake Cargelligo, the Youth Team will play games against France Under-16s, France Under-17s and the London Broncos Academy side.

During the tour, the players will also visit Paris, London and Barce*lona, mix with the Samoan Test team attend a World Cup semi-final at Wembley and visit the grave of an Aboriginal soldier buried at the Somme.

And then, of course, comes the theme park courtesy of GI.

"Although I’ve never been, so I have no idea if they’ll enjoy it or not," Inglis laughed.

"But I just thought, if you want to help kids create some bonds, have some fun, what better way to do it?

"The whole point of touring is having fun with your friends and if I can help with that in even the smallest way, great."

In March, The Daily Telegraph revealed how Inglis helped send Condobolin teens Keanua Wighton and Sam Koe to Jamaica for training as part of the Competitive Edge "Search for Australia’s Fastest Man" — which is being spearheaded by fellow Kangaroo star and friend Jarryd Hayne.

The Rabbitohs superstar also works at Redfern’s Aboriginal Medical Service, regularly visits the Prince Of Wales Hospital, works as a teacher’s assistant at La Perouse Public and is now a major player in the Indigenous All Stars concept.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/aus...al-youth-players/story-e6frf3ou-1226750791180

What a grub!

Latest posts