What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Authorities investigate medical service deal with league star Greg Inglis

BunniesMan

Immortal
source please

I've edited to clarify I'm speaking hypothetically. Many charities have marketing budgets. That obviously includes advertising. Nobody freaks out about that. If it's ok for a tv or newspaper company to be paid to advertise a charity why isn't it ok for GI to be paid to do the same.

Matchball

Bench
He does do things with other organisations for free. But his time is limited. There is a limit to how much you can expect one person to do for free.

If his time is limited, why is his accountant invoicing them for 4800 a month?
What does he do there on a regular monthly basis to yield monthly cheques?

If one off appearance and payment I'd be more ok with it but it's a systematic payment that can't be explained.

Perth Red

Post Whore
He does do things with other organisations for free. But his time is limited. There is a limit to how much you can expect one person to do for free.

I've had plenty of celebs turn me down when we've asked for help or patronage as they are committed, no problem with it at all. I can honestly say I've never had one ask me for a $ to do it because they are too busy to do it for free, nevermind $90k a year!

BunniesMan

Immortal
If his time is limited, why is his accountant invoicing them for 4800 a month?
What does he do there on a regular monthly basis to yield monthly cheques?

If one off appearance and payment I'd be more ok with it but it's a systematic payment that can't be explained.

If it's a regular payment then logic suggests he works regularly for them. Maybe they take him to business functions where high flyers donate to the charity to meet him. Maybe they have him regularly going to disadvantaged people to talk to them about making use of what is available to them in terms of healthcare.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.ourcommunity.com.au/management/view_help_sheet.do?articleid=297

19. Community service ads
Most major newspapers will run community service ads for community groups as "fillers" which are exactly that - they fill space where the advertising doesn't quite fill the allotted space or leaves an unusual shaped hole. The competition for space in major media is quite fierce and rarely do they feature ads that plug a particular event - rather it is the group itself. But if you do ads that point to your website and sitting on the home page is a big reminder of your event, it can't hurt. Most newspapers require the completed, designed ads and they tend to fill space in the back pages of the papers but a free ad is a free ad and every little bit helps.

21. Community Service Announcements on TV
Television networks also provide free airtime for Community Service Announcements but again it can be tough going to try and secure one so you should check before you spend time and money having an ad shot. These can be simple messages read out by TV presenters, or can involve a simple promotional video. Check with the network to find out to whom you should send your announcement and the format that they prefer.Even if your Community Service Announcement is broadcast at odd hours of the night and day and doesn't quite have the ratings of the Oscars night, there will still be people who spot it. Even if they don't turn up at least they know who you are and what you do. Community TV stations are also a good option - they may even shoot the ad for you if you ask them nicely.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's not a 100% rule, some charities do it and some don't. And if some do pay their ambassadors they won't admit it, because its a bad look.

http://www.thirdsector.co.uk/Commun...lysis-paying-celebrities-charities-draw-line/

Fact is though, charities are essentially businesses and they work under the same concepts of competition in the market that other businesses do. Paying for that celebrity endorsement is sometimes far more effective. And if you can get 5-10 hours of the week from Greg Inglis that he might have spent in a competing indigenous charity, then you bring the incentives to the table. You are naive if you believe this doesn't happen.

I would only have a problem with this if GI was personally calling it charity work. As I see it, it's ambassador work as part of his TPA that just happens to be for a charity

Thanks, interesting g article. Be interesting to know if any Australian charities are, in my 15 years I have not heard of one and I would never support my org doing it.

Sums it up for me and again I am not judging the charity, I am judging the celeb.

"Ideally, celebrity involvement is something that's given freely. The real value of having a celebrity on board comes when the celebrity is supporting the charity as a result of genuine belief in, and passion for, the cause."

BunniesMan

Immortal
source please

Source what? I'm speaking generally. You're denying the existence of marketing budgets for charities? As PR has said (who works for a charity) many charities have marketing budgets. And guess what, those marketing budgets are spent on marketing.

Noa

First Grade
Health organization's do actually employ people.

Inglis goes to communities and encourages people to use health services and easily earns his money so any criticism for this is way off the mark. If ams is using money from medicare funds for this that's on them.

BunniesMan

Immortal

Inglis goes to communities and encourages people to use health services and easily earns his money so any criticism for this is way off the mark. If ams is using money from medicare funds for this that's on them.
Bingo. Sums up what I'm trying to say perfectly.

Noa

First Grade
I should also add as Inglis is doing studies in community services this is essentially work experience for him not charity work.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Do sportspeople making ads like the Geoff Marsh Asthma ads not get paid?

And are they lowlifes for doing so?

Paid celebrity endorsement in health promotion: a case study from Australia

In late 1998, Australian cricketer Shane Warne was allegedly paid A$200 000 (£78 060, US$123 000) by a pharmaceutical company to publicize his attempt to stop smoking. Warne failed to stop, and his continuing smoking remained newsworthy more than a year later. The arrangement caused considerable media controversy about the ethics of payment for charitable or socially worthy actions. This paper explores the community's reaction to payment for modelling a healthy behaviour, discussing the values that Warne transgressed and whether these mattered, given that the campaign caused an unprecedented rise in the use of nicotine replacement therapy.

Lessons for health promotion

For NGOs and governments, the question arises of whether market-level payments to celebrities for ‘good works’ endorsements will inevitably backfire, causing adverse publicity for their efforts. At the end of the day, does the criticism that Warne attracted really matter? While Warne was the focus, the subject of smoking cessation received a great deal of explicit and implicit discussion. While the debate was preoccupied with the ethics of the arrangement, the unspoken assumption running through both supporters' and critics' positions was that quitting smoking was something ‘good’. Most in the public health community were delighted that Warne's massive popularity was widely associated with an anti-smoking message. His competitive and feisty personality belied the sanctimony of many dreary ‘healthy role model’ messages which many young smokers have found boring and predictable in past anti-smoking campaigns.

The sponsoring company was delighted with the outcome: sales of their product increased dramatically in the 3 months after the endorsement commenced (Chapman and Borland, 1999). This unprecedented increase in sales of NRT is strongly suggestive of a causal connection between the publicity and an increase in quit attempts. The track record of NRT shows that, depending on the mode of administration, it is between 63 and 127% more effective than placebo (Silagy et al., 2001).

It seems Warne just could not win when it comes to smoking. If he was seen smoking in public, he was framed as a Pied Piper beckoning the nation's impressionable youth to smoke. But if he accepted an approach from a company wanting to make money out of helping smokers to quit, he was equally reprehensible. It would seem that, based on public reaction, the only morally acceptable path for Warne to have taken would be to have refused to have taken the money.

While many celebrities undertake genuinely charitable acts, what policy should health promotion campaigns adopt when celebrities require money for endorsement of health messages? Our view reflects that of Clive Bates from UK Action on Smoking and Health. Bates argued on an internet listserver for the tobacco control community that Warne's gesture ‘may ultimately save lives by promoting cessation. All he is doing is commanding his market value. The spectacle of people being appalled when free markets and capitalism work in favour of health is indeed a curious one. A more important ethical problem would arise if people like Warne backed away from this kind of activity because of the peculiar public squeamishness about money.’

http://heapro.oxfordjournals.org/content/16/4/333.full

Dogs Of War

Coach
I think that's a bit different. it's a company (not a charity) using a celeb to sponsor a product. Plenty of exmaples of that.

Danish

Referee

Please show me one picture of Inglis making an appearance for the AMS encouraging people to use their medical services. He doesn't even feature anywhere on their website FFS! You would think their $90k ambassador would feature prominently in promotional material and such for the coin they are paying him....

I would argue he does absolutely nothing for them on a weekly or monthly basis. The absolute only mention I have seen of his work for them is an article from last year talking up his "charity" work. He apparently features on a pre-recorded video that plays in the waiting room of an AMS clinic in redfern, and on a few pamphlets and flyers they give out. It claims he visits the clinic from time to time as well... although funnily enough no photos of that either.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Please show me one picture of Inglis making an appearance for the AMS encouraging people to use their medical services. He doesn't even feature anywhere on their website FFS! You would think their $90k ambassador would feature prominently in promotional material and such for the coin they are paying him....

I would argue he does absolutely nothing for them on a weekly or monthly basis. The absolute only mention I have seen of his work for them is an article from last year talking up his "charity" work. He apparently features on a pre-recorded video that plays in the waiting room of an AMS clinic in redfern, and on a few pamphlets and flyers they give out. It claims he visits the clinic from time to time as well... although funnily enough no photos of that either.

THE Aboriginal Medical Service says rugby league star Greg Inglis's work will continue amid an investigation into his $50,000 a year job with the charity.

http://www.newshour24.com/world/1ze47zekgc/Nrl-Star-Inglis-Thirdparty-Deal-Probe.htm

So now it's 50K.