What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Axemen get a HUGE turnout for training camp

spinnerhowland

Juniors
The Jacksonville Axemen are now mid way through their 3 day training camp.
We have had 18 new players that were not apart of the team last year show up for the workouts.
Last night we had a total of 30 players at the Jacksonville Jaguars (thank you Jags) facility and today we have had about the same number stick with us all day.
The Day started at 9am with an hour fitness session on the beach with the personal trainers from Gracor Fitness (more on this new exciting sponsor soon)
10.15am till 10.30am was team breakfast by the Walkabout Cafe.
10.30am till 12 noon we were on the fields at the UNF for drills and skills
12 noon till 1pm Lunch provided by ZAXBYS (again more news soon on another sponsor coming on board)
1pm to 3pm Play sets and defense sets at UNF training fields
3pm to 4pm Weight session at the Gracor Fitness Gym (thanks again to this great sponsor)
4pm to 5pm Swim and touch game at the beach

We are back on the UNF fields from 8.30am Sunday until 1pm for some final prep for the new players and then off to Fionn MacCools for a post camp buffet.

Overall we are going to be a MUCH bigger and stronger team from last year.

We have 3 new sponsor for far this year (more to come on these) and we now have players from Orlando, Daytona Beach, Brevard County and up into Georgia.

The Axemen now have over 30 guys that want to play Rugby League.

And before you all ask, YES we are thinking about expanding next year.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
Have these guys seen rugby league played before and do they know what rugby league is or have they just pitched up out of curiosity?

Well done on the extra numbers.

spinnerhowland

Juniors
We have some Union guys, some ex american football players and even a guy that came from college soccer. He actually went OK last night.
And EVERYONE of them are Americans. That is the part that is exciting.

KiwiStorm

Juniors
Woah, that is cool Spinner! :) I really look forward to seeing how they go with the Axemen this year! :D

Skeletor

Juniors
spinnerhowland said:
And EVERYONE of them are Americans. That is the part that is exciting.

That is great news, even better to hear of a possible second North Florida/South GA team too.

joshreading

Staff member
Have you thought of having a nine or seven aside pre game for those that do not get selected? - Maybe that would keep those that can't play excited, develop their Rugby League Skills and keep them connected.

spinnerhowland

Juniors
We will do everything we can to make sure that everyone gets some game time for all our home games.
We can only afford to travel with 18 for the away games.

roopy

Referee
I can't understand why you are not being inundated with foreign players wanting a run. You are obvioulsy the most professionally run side in the AMNRL.

spinnerhowland

Juniors
Roopy, I am being overrun. I get about 15 e-mails a week from guys from all over the World. My stance on this is the it is the AMERICAN National Rugby League. Not the "I'm on a 4 month holiday and just want to go over a smash a few guys around, drink beer and then go home, Rugby League."
I have one IMPORT player this year. He is a young guy that is coming in from the UK (there will be more on him later)
He is going to stay with me at my house so that I can get some help with coaching, operations, etc, etc. Doing this all by myself as far as running the player side of it has been very tough and I needed one guy that actually knows the game to help.
He is not a super star but just wanted to try something different.
I want the sport to move forward here in the USA and the more Americans I can get to play it the better off I am.

roopy

Referee
spinnerhowland said:
Roopy, I am being overrun. I get about 15 e-mails a week from guys from all over the World. My stance on this is the it is the AMERICAN National Rugby League. Not the "I'm on a 4 month holiday and just want to go over a smash a few guys around, drink beer and then go home, Rugby League."
I have one IMPORT player this year. He is a young guy that is coming in from the UK (there will be more on him later)
He is going to stay with me at my house so that I can get some help with coaching, operations, etc, etc. Doing this all by myself as far as running the player side of it has been very tough and I needed one guy that actually knows the game to help.
He is not a super star but just wanted to try something different.
I want the sport to move forward here in the USA and the more Americans I can get to play it the better off I am.
You obviously know what will work in America far better than I - but i really can't see why four guys who have a wealth of knowledge they could pass on to your players would not be a good thing.

BatiFan

Juniors
Im with Spinner on this one Roopy. One maybe 2 imports fine. Anymore and you are taking away what the emphasis is all about and that is developing more American born and raised players to eventually improve the standard of the USA Tomahawks national team.

Well done Spinner on another great advertisment for the game not only in the south, but right throughout the USA.

Latest posts