What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bailey goes OS

cronullashark

Juniors
here is the article:

Bailey becomes a Warrior

17may06
SHARKS player Phil Bailey will join Trent Barrett at English Super League club Wigan next year, the former Australia Test utility signing a three-year deal.

Bailey, 25, said the offer was too attractive to refuse.

"It gives me a chance to extend my career in the UK," he said.

"Wigan have struggled this year so it's also an exciting challenge, trying to help them climb back up towards the top of the English Super League."

Sharks chief executive Greg Pierce said the NRL salary cap had prevented the club from matching the Warriors' offer.

"The offer was certainly substantial and, with our salary cap restraints, (it) was one we couldn't hope to match," Pierce said.

"If there is a positive, though, it means we can use the extra money available under the cap to upgrade contracts and retain some of the exceptional young talent we have at the club.

"We had an understanding that if he got a deal from overseas then we'd let him go.

"He's leaving on very good terms and he's pretty hell bent on finishing off this year in good style.

"From our point of view, it just changes our landscape a bit.

"We can get out in the market place, which is good.

"He is a big loss - you don't replace guys like Bails overnight - but it maybe opens up a door for us to chance somebody else."

Sharks coach Stuart Raper, a former Wigan coach, understood that Bailey was seeking new experiences.

"After speaking to Bails, I fully understand his desire to travel overseas and to also test himself in a different competition," Raper said.

Bailey has played 119 NRL games, 95 for the Sharks after joining the club from the Northern Eagles in 2002.

He played three State of Origin matches for New South Wales and two Tests for Australia in 2003.

Earlier this month, St George-Illawarra and NSW pivot Trent Barrett announced that he would move to Wigan after the 2006 NRL season.

Since 73

First Grade
He wouldn't be in the top half a dozen players I'd like to see the Sharks unload.

Great workrate in defence. Of cause he doesn't set the comp alight in attack. He's a forward playing in the backs. he's obviously got representative hopes and raper squashes those each week by playing him out of position. What chance has got of getting a centre gig in rep footy over gasnier and co.

I bet he's been in Raper's ear and been told that he is in the centres for the year.
The Sharks are so well off for second rowers they are letting him go. He would be deadset dirty I reckon.
wonder how this will affect his footy for the rest of the season. He isn't playing for a contract anymore, his futures secure.

sharknows

Bench
Apart from his lack of attacking skill at centre I reckon he is a pretty useful player. Had he been played in his correct position the club might have been able to recognise this and try a bit harder to keep him. At any rate there is plenty of young talent ready to step up. Sorry to see him go but we will do OK without him.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Since 73 said:
He wouldn't be in the top half a dozen players I'd like to see the Sharks unload.

Great workrate in defence. Of cause he doesn't set the comp alight in attack. He's a forward playing in the backs. he's obviously got representative hopes and raper squashes those each week by playing him out of position. What chance has got of getting a centre gig in rep footy over gasnier and co.

I bet he's been in Raper's ear and been told that he is in the centres for the year.
The Sharks are so well off for second rowers they are letting him go. He would be deadset dirty I reckon.
wonder how this will affect his footy for the rest of the season. He isn't playing for a contract anymore, his futures secure.

I'd like to think he'll go just as hard as he has been. If there's any truth to what you say Since 73 he would of been unhappy all year IMO but has still put in 110% on the field.

I'm also convinced he is chronically injured. His feet are both fugged. More stress fractures than the Parthenon.

We need more like Bails not less like him.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Good luck Bails.

Played out of possie here.

Will do great over there.

Perhaps a good career move in this day and age also.

What did we pay for alby? /rhetorical

Since 73

First Grade
I don't really care who we lose.

As long as Stuey is still the coach, BK is playing flat and Bird and Mapp are under contract.
Serenity now!

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Since 73 said:
I don't really care who we lose.

As long as Stuey is still the coach, BK is playing flat and Bird and Mapp are under contract.
Serenity now!

Somehow seems more apt than "Get It Done" :lol:

McLovin

Staff member
"Get it done", "Serenity now", forget those...Should be "Win the comp or f**k off"...Fuggen half arses.

Genius Freak

Juniors
Stupid move not keeping him in my opinion. First Peach, then Nuts, now Bails. Freaking useless management. Give Bailey Darren Mapp's f**king money.

PHaTMaN

Juniors
Sad to see him go but we do have a heap of second rowers, i guess we cant really keep them all. Seems strange if he harbours rep hopes to move overseas.

I wonder what they paid him?

Latest posts