What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ball Stripping Good or Bad?

simmo05

Bench
Yay nrl. How bout stop changing rules and just get rid of the video ref you shit , spastic merkins!

Tommy Smith

Referee
I hate it.

The coaches and players have learned how to manipulate the rule to the point of farce. Especially Melbourne. Shock, horror!

What we are seeing is 4 blokes in a tackle - 1 holding the ball carrier upright, 2 usurping each arm from the ball, and then the 4th getting a grip of it with the other 3 peeling off for the 4th to wrench the ball away.

That isn't a tackle or what rugby league is meant to be.

ReddFelon

Juniors
It could've been a great addition. I get that they made a point of two in the tackle and one bloke dropping off allows for a strip. What we have now is 3-4 players stripping the ball and then letting go just before it's completely removed from the carrier. Two in the tackle and one drops off I don't mind. 4 effectively stripping the ball and it's a no from me.

Zadar

Juniors
I hate it.

The coaches and players have learned how to manipulate the rule to the point of farce. Especially Melbourne. Shock, horror!

What we are seeing is 4 blokes in a tackle - 1 holding the ball carrier upright, 2 usurping each arm from the ball, and then the 4th getting a grip of it with the other 3 peeling off for the 4th to wrench the ball away.

Soon the smart coaches will get the ball runner to drop the ball as soon as the call to drop off happens.

It will become a bigger farce.

LineBall

Juniors
I would like to see more stripping of the ball and also allow for striking again in the play-the-ball. It's these unexpected changes of possession that make the game less boring.

Saxon

Bench
I hate it.

No, we're not seeing that.. Vary rarely four in the tackle, occasionally 3, usually 2 but often the strips are still one on one. Example, despite your claims about Melbourne, most of theirs are legit one on one.

You're just making shit up 'cos you're jealous your team aren't good at it.

Last edited:

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
It's good in theory, but as always players/coaches have found a way to exploit it and make it horrible.

It just encourages more wrestling, manipulation of limbs and takes us further away from what RL is supposed to be about.

kdalymc

Bench
Did they change the rule? A 1 on 1 strip cant have people drop off

Edit- read the rest of this thread

Da f*ckkk?

sempmrh

Juniors
I don’t like the idea of players involved in a tackle dropping off until one is left to strip the ball one on one. It seems unfair. Yes, my team has benefited from this rule change several times this season. I still don’t like it.

Tiger5150

Bench
I HATE this rule and Saturdays Tigers v Raiders was a perfect example of why (not JUST because my team is crap at it and Hodgson is great at it).

Hodgson did it twice. The first time it was classic 3 man tackle, Hodgson grabs the ball, calls two drop off and Hodson steals it. I hate the rule but thats what it is.

The second one showed how much of farce it can be. Three men tackle the Tigers player. The Tigers player is on the ground with the ball (held), Ref calls held, Hodgson strips the ball......play on.

Its a disgraceful rule.

nick87

Coach
But honestly, i do like the rule, it doesnt even happy once a game. There is a few players who are particularly great at it, Munster and Hodgson in particular but even half of those are just straight up 1 on 1 strips, not drop offs

For years and years and years this code has bailed out players who cant secure the football properly. It's high time they made ball security a priority again, this does that to some extent.

Front-Rower

First Grade
It’s probably the most unfair rule in the game. How can you possibly go in with 3 men, hold the player up top and around the legs then have that third man rip the ball out when the other two drop off. What hope does the ball carrier have?

Latest posts