What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ball Stripping Good or Bad?

Slackboy72

Coach
I’m not liking this idea that one player gets his arms around the ball with no intention of making a tackle, he gets into this position because the ball carrier is held in position by two other players. Those two tacklers drop off once the player going for the strip is ready and the ball is then stripped out. Ugly look imo and the strip has only occurred from the help of the other two tacklers...

That's the crux of it if you need your mates to hold a player still so you can strip the ball it cheapens it greatly.

T-Boon

Coach
I understand the rule was put in place to stop the situation whereby a player breaks a tackle and then is stripped by another tackler resulting in a penalty despite the strip taking place with only one tackler on the ball runner. Voluntarily falling off the tackle should not be treated in the same way.

Especially since it sort of suggests the tackle is complete.

Danish

Referee
I’d like them to ban the drop off strip again, but also add in a new rule.

The new rule would make all 1 on 1 strips work like charge downs, so not a knock on even if it goes forward. It would also not restart the tackle count.

That way, you can legit attack any loose carry as hard as you like without fear of giving away a cheap free set

ram raid

Bench
Some of the 'loose carry' calls are complete bullshit. Short of shoving the ball up your jersey , I challenge anybody to hold on to the ball with defenders groping and chopping at the ball. Bit still sometimes the ball-carrier plain loses the ball and it's ruled a strip. It's close to arbitrary.

Billythekid

First Grade
Some of the 'loose carry' calls are complete bullshit. Short of shoving the ball up your jersey , I challenge anybody to hold on to the ball with defenders groping and chopping at the ball. Bit still sometimes the ball-carrier plain loses the ball and it's ruled a strip. It's close to arbitrary.

We can already test that by looking at union, the ball isn’t stolen every tackle. It’s hardly a hypothetical situation.

Totally disagree with you by the way. You rarely see loose ball called despite that being the usual cause of dropped balls. Normally what you see is players straight up just dropping the ball or having it ‘stripped out’ by another player barely touching the ball and getting a penalty for it. It’s a huge blight on the game and actually decides a lot of matches IMO. Personally I’d rather all strips be allowed if it gets rid of that BS.

ram raid

Bench
We can already test that by looking at union, the ball isn’t stolen every tackle. It’s hardly a hypothetical situation.

Totally disagree with you by the way. You rarely see loose ball called despite that being the usual cause of dropped balls. Normally what you see is players straight up just dropping the ball or having it ‘stripped out’ by another player barely touching the ball and getting a penalty for it. It’s a huge blight on the game and actually decides a lot of matches IMO. Personally I’d rather all strips be allowed if it gets rid of that BS.

I don't look at union, so you can advise me on what we can learn there.

I totally disagree with you. I see strips and lost balls, and mostly it looks like what happened is somewhere in between. About 15% are simply a lost ball. The rest involve a defender or two having some purposeful contact with the ball. Then the argument between loose carry and stripping starts. I don't know how to resolve it. All I know is my opinion. I think most forwards know how to secure a ball. I estimate securing the ball is rule 101 at training.

LineBall

Juniors
A charge down does restart the tackle count though. Which is, IMO, one of the shittiest rules in the rule book and way shittier than this rule.

Definitely. It could be easily fixed but they just stick their heads in the sand.

Meth

Staff member
Refs couldn’t get it right tonight warriors v parramatta and you could argue it cost the warriors that match.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Refs couldn’t get it right tonight warriors v parramatta and you could argue it cost the warriors that match.

It would’ve been easier to take if the refs hadn’t let the Eels get away with a 3 on 1 strip minutes later. But they were obviously only refereeing one team tonight so that’s hardly surprising.

T-Boon

Coach
This new rule is good because it should never have been risk free to get tackled easily. But it is rewarding the ugliest thing in the game which is these gang tackles. Tweek the rule so that at any point once three men have been in the tackle you cannot strip.

t-ba

Post Whore
It would’ve been easier to take if the refs hadn’t let the Eels get away with a 3 on 1 strip minutes later. But they were obviously only refereeing one team tonight so that’s hardly surprising.

That...was outrageous

T-Boon

Coach
That...was outrageous

Again its one that is the clubs/coaches fault as much as the referees fault because the clubs/coaches chose to play the game pushing the limits of the rules to the nth degree making the game extremely difficult to referee.
The NRL brought in a sensible rule change (that must have been approved by the club) to allow one on one stripping after players have fallen off a tackle...so what do the hyena coaches do? Go an exploit it in a way that would not have been forceable.
Maybe the best thing the NRL could do is can the rule now and then publicly shame the coaches for their cheating.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Again its one that is the clubs/coaches fault as much as the referees fault because the clubs/coaches chose to play the game pushing the limits of the rules to the nth degree making the game extremely difficult to referee.
The NRL brought in a sensible rule change (that must have been approved by the club) to allow one on one stripping after players have fallen off a tackle...so what do the hyena coaches do? Go an exploit it in a way that would not have been forceable.
Maybe the best thing the NRL could do is can the rule now and then publicly shame the coaches for their cheating.

No, you can’t even blame that in this case. The refs clearly only reffed one team when it came to ball stripping. Watch both tackles on the replay.

nick87

Coach
MOOOOOOOAR

MOOOOOOOOOOOOAR

Raiders running up the damn scoreboard for this. They're lapping the field.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I love it tbh (because my team has adapted to it the best)

But it very rarely happens against us. No doubt it will happen in a huge game knowing my luck but I like how it adds another contest for the ball in a game really short of contests

nick87

Coach
I love it tbh (because my team has adapted to it the best)

But it very rarely happens against us. No doubt it will happen in a huge game knowing my luck but I like how it adds another contest for the ball in a game really short of contests
The panthers got one on us today, when we looked certain to score... though replays showed it was probably a 2-1, but its such a close thing i could see why they went the way they did live

Its genuinely great to see defensive players get a chance to make a game changing play/

I think there was 3-4 tonight and all but one of them was a legit 1 on 1.

nick87

Coach
who is the best at it? Are they keeping stats on this yet?
Yeah, hodgo is lapping the field 9-4 on Munster who was second coming into this round

The raiders were apparently first at 17 on the year
The next best was 9

We the kingz

Latest posts