What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ballpark figures: clubs 'inflating attendances'

innsaneink

Referee
Ballpark figures: clubs 'inflating attendances'

July 22, 2009

OFFICIALS at NRL clubs have been accused of inflating crowd figures, with serious discrepancies found between the annual reports of some venues and the attendances announced at matches.
According to a report in the latest edition of Rugby League Week, none of the available figures for Parramatta Stadium, WIN Stadium and Skilled Park tally.
In total, there appeared to be a "mark up" of 34,988 over just 26 games in which both figures were available.
Parramatta Stadium acting venue manager Luke Coleman said inflating crowd figures was commonplace in the NRL.
"It seems to be the general practice across the board for the hirer to inflate the figures - sometimes by a little, sometimes by more than a little," he told the magazine.
One game last year between Parramatta and the Warriors drew just 4401 fans but the attendance announced was 5102.
Brad Walter
http://www.smh.com.au/news/lhqnews/...ing-attendances/2009/07/21/1247941917589.html

Azkatro

First Grade
Does anyone have the copy of League Week? Does it mention any other games in particular or just that one?

Spot on Colonel.

I think it's commonplace in all codes and has been forever.

Sometimes they underdo it too. I recall Ellery Hanley's first game for the Magpies against Souths at Campbelltown and the crowd was so big they were behind the in-goals at both ends, yet it was reported as something like 10k..

Great, just what we need. Another little contraversy for the media to get stuck into...

Why would Parramatta (or any club for that matter) inflate a crowd figure by 701?

Are the hirer and the Stadium trust counting figures independently of one another?

Why would Parramatta (or any club for that matter) inflate a crowd figure by 701?

To get over the magic 5k mark? While thats embarassing enough, closer to 4k sounds much worse.

When I read this story I thought so what, a discrepancy of 34k over 26 games. Thats around 1,200 a game on average. In the context of Parra and Win stadium crowds thats getting around 10% extra which is a decent fudge of the numbers ... can't get too greedy and claim twice what was really there!

Crowd figures aren't what really counts anyway. Gate takings is the important measure, and much harder to fudge.

The Colonel

Immortal
Great, just what we need. Another little contraversy for the media to get stuck into...

Are the hirer and the Stadium trust counting figures independently of one another?

In most cases clubs will count the seats that have been sold but not used - season tickets, free tickets, sponsors tickets. The ground will only count those that come through the turnstiles.

Brutus

Referee
Clubs also understate figures for other nefarious reasons.

There have been numerous games this season where attendances have appeared bigger.

In most cases clubs will count the seats that have been sold but not used - season tickets, free tickets, sponsors tickets. The ground will only count those that come through the turnstiles.

Good point, plus the clubs will assume every corporate box is chockers, and count staff, and in Souths case, players.

The Colonel

Immortal
I've lost a few 'pick the crowd' lottos over four years to the 'official' figure... and once it was the NRL running the day. :lol:

So, they're counting different things then - not necessarily sitting in a darkened room adding random numbers (like 701) to a crowd figure.

Bluebags1908

Juniors
I was at Parramatta Stadium on Monday night for the Parra vs Storm game, and there was no way there were only 10,800 there.

The ground has 20,000 seats and I had a really, really good look at the empty seats and the ground was well over half-full, I would say just a tad under threequarters full which would equate to a crowd of 13,000 or so.

t-ba

Post Whore
Meh, everyone does it. I've seen some Melbourne Demons crowds over the last few years that were no way the reported figure.

*Paul*

Juniors
I can recall Canberra having to play at Manuka a few years ago because of some nothing yawnion game. Awful ground, raining, no real auditing at the gate. Probably only triple figures, possibly as much as 1500 - announced as 7000+.