What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ballpark figures: clubs 'inflating attendances'

Godz Illa

Coach
I browsed the RLW in the newsagent, the article was written by Mascord. Michael Searle was interviewed and he was nonplussed, saying there are often discrepancies between the turnstile figures and the ticketek figures. No biggie, as far as he's concerned

aids

Bench
i remember a 1-2k crowd @ ANZ for Souths vs Panthers in 05/06 i think [friday night and was raining for 7 days previous]

06 i think, i was talking to a guy that worked for the stadium admin, and the released figure was 3-4,000 but they said there were lucky to be 1000 there.

brad_19

Juniors
Meh, everyone does it. I've seen some Melbourne Demons crowds over the last few years that were no way the reported figure.

Fairly certain that AFL crowds are announced by the stadiums, not the clubs to avoid descrepencies and include only on those that enter through the turnstiles. I may be wrong tho.

Apey

Staff member
What do they base the inflation on? Do they just randomly pick a number a few thousand, or a few hundred higher than the original one depending on the base size?

Eels Dude

Coach
No big iffy. I always assumed that's the way they did it. It's the same when club's annouce a sellout during the week before a game. There will always be empty seats on gameday, it's just the fact that many stadium members, season ticketholders, sponsors and corporates don't turn up on game day no the stadium never reaches capacity.

tiger_nick

Bench
i thought 18,800 was a bit high at leichhardt for the cowboys game. ive been there plenty of times when they've had 18,000 + and you plain could not move on the hill. on sunday there was quiet a bit of grass to be seen. i got there at 2.30 and got a spot comfortably. i was thinking more like 15-16k.

then again i remember a game against cronulla in our first season at leichhardt on a saturday night. it was packed to the rafters and they said there was only 12k there...

i have no idea how they come up with these figures....

Dave The Maori

Juniors
Spot on Colonel.

I think it's commonplace in all codes and has been forever.

Sometimes they underdo it too. I recall Ellery Hanley's first game for the Magpies against Souths at Campbelltown and the crowd was so big they were behind the in-goals at both ends, yet it was reported as something like 10k..
tfc to the rescue .:lol:

Hanscholo

Bench
Ballpark figures: clubs 'inflating attendances'

July 22, 2009

OFFICIALS at NRL clubs have been accused of inflating crowd figures, with serious discrepancies found between the annual reports of some venues and the attendances announced at matches.
According to a report in the latest edition of Rugby League Week, none of the available figures for Parramatta Stadium, WIN Stadium and Skilled Park tally.
In total, there appeared to be a "mark up" of 34,988 over just 26 games in which both figures were available.
Parramatta Stadium acting venue manager Luke Coleman said inflating crowd figures was commonplace in the NRL.
"It seems to be the general practice across the board for the hirer to inflate the figures - sometimes by a little, sometimes by more than a little," he told the magazine.
One game last year between Parramatta and the Warriors drew just 4401 fans but the attendance announced was 5102.
Brad Walter
http://www.smh.com.au/news/lhqnews/...ing-attendances/2009/07/21/1247941917589.html

I thought that was already common knowledge.

Kola Emcee

Juniors
I was at Dragons vs Storm at Gay-NZ last year during Origin period, on a Saturday night in piss poor weather. Think there was 6k there officially but it felt like about 60.

Hindyscrack

Bench
In most cases clubs will count the seats that have been sold but not used - season tickets, free tickets, sponsors tickets. The ground will only count those that come through the turnstiles.

Happens with all major sports in this country... There are some that are far worse then others too.