What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Balmain Ryde-Eastwood's State Cup players quizzed on gang rape claim

Gaba

First Grade
As i posted earlier the police and league needs to take action against those who made the complaint if it turns out to be false, otherwise this will happen year after year and people will still do it because nothing happens to the people who make claims and cant be proven

El Diablo

Post Whore
if it turns out to be true that they wanted money then the police must charge them for extortion

the family should be sued too if nothing comes of it seeing the father has been on every channel saying they did this and that as if he was there

murraymob

Coach
and if it turns out the players and lawyers have made up the extortion claim they also should get charged with extra.

Gaba

First Grade
Yep who ever is in the wrong should start paying the price , otherwise this will continue on year after year, with claims etc and people getting nothing done ot them.

The police , nrl whoever needs to be tough they should have done this years ago , make whoever does a complaint to go through with it,

bartman

Immortal
Hmmm, no-one's posted up this story up yet... doesn't really blame the woman or the father or the media, so no surprise there!

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/articles/2009/03/03/1235842377240.html

Alleged gang rape victim 'mentally handicapped'

Marissa Calligeros | March 3, 2009 - 10:35AM

A Sunshine Coast woman, who told police she was violently pack raped by members of a Sydney rugby league team, is mentally handicapped, the woman's father has claimed.
The Balmain Tigers will conduct its own inquiry into allegations members of its New South Wales Cup team raped the 23-year-old at Rydges Oasis Resort in Caloundra in the early hours of Sunday morning.
The woman is on a disability pension after suffering permanent brain damage from a car accident six years ago, her father told Channel Nine last night.
"What they did to her was really wrong," the woman's father said.
"She just can't believe it. When she went there, she just thought (he was a) nice bloke to talk to.
"It's haunting her...it's killing her."
The team had been in Queensland for a curtain raiser to the Broncos-Storm trial match at Kawana on Saturday night.
It is believed the woman and her 20-year-old sister accompanied the footballers from a post-match function at Caloundra RSL back to the team hotel after midnight, where the younger sister reportedly paired up with one member of the team.
The 23-year-old woman later lodged a complaint with police, alleging she had been held down and repeatedly raped by up to six players in another room.
Resort management told brisbanetimes.com.au the players were well behaved during their two-night stay and had only found out about the alleged incident when police arrived on Sunday to investigate.
However police would not confirm they were investigating a possible extortion link to the alleged attack.
Maroochydoore Superintendent Ben Hanbidge told reporters yesterday the woman had made the complaint to police at a Sunshine Coast station shortly after the alleged incident.
He said the investigation was "in full swing".
"A full brief of evidence will be prepared prior to any determination being made as to the outcome of this investigation," Superintendent Hanbidge said.
Seems like the father has no problem with reports that his younger daughter "paired up with" a player... his only problem arises when his mentally handicapped daughter reports/alleges that she was raped by a group of players. The way that part of the story reads, his actions as a father arethat have been brought into question in this thread seem perfectly reasonable and understandable? But I guess anything that makes excuses for footy players to continue avoiding personal responsibility must be ok...

innsaneink

Referee
Guys f**k chicks every day...been going on since the days of Adam - not their fault if they turn out to be gold digging s**ts, but yes, maybe football players should conduct interviiews in future prior to any hide the sausage
Personal responsibilty...pfft

duck_dodgers

Juniors
http://www.thedaily.com.au/blogs/mark-my-words/2009/mar/03/booze-footy/

Booze and footy don't mix well

March 3 | Mark Furler

It's amazing how quickly rugby league officials were keen to write off serious allegations that a 23-year-old woman was pack raped at a Caloundra resort in the early hours of Sunday morning.

By Sunday night, NRL chief executive David Gallop was being quoted as saying that while he understood there had been a complaint "the current feedback from police was that it would not be pursued".

This was apparently because after a number of Sydney reserve grade rugby league players were interviewed, they were allowed to return home – as is the usual practice.

Balmain Tigers chairman David Trodden, who stressed the club took the issue "very seriously'', had also suggested the feedback he had received was that police would not pursue the matter.

That was certainly not the message delivered by Coast police chief Ben Hanbidge at a media conference yesterday morning.

As far as he was concerned, the investigation was still "in full swing".
"It is still in its early stages and there are a number of people we still have to speak to," he said.

"Obviously we won't be making any determination on this investigation until everybody has been spoken to and we have all the evidence before us.''

The father of the alleged victim, who said she had only gone back to the hotel to support her sister, certainly won't be allowing anyone to dismiss what he believes has happened to his daughter.
And nor should any of us.

It is deeply disturbing that after the number of recent incidents over the years that rugby league officials still have not woken up to the fact that alcohol and football are just not a good mix.

You have to wonder the sense in taking players back to a local RSL for a celebration – and then allowing the situation where a player can take any young girl back to his hotel room.

On Saturday night, I went along to the football and enjoyed a couple of light beers, great company and the live atmosphere of the footy feast.
But going to the footy you can't help but notice how much drinking excessive amounts of alcohol is just part of the experience for some fans.
Football is not alone in this.

Go along to a Melbourne Cup Day or the new night races and you could easily be disturbed by how drunk some patrons, particularly young women, get.

From where I watched, the crowd at the football seemed well behaved.
But as I was leaving, a number of "spirited" young women were climbing on wheelie bins to get a peek at the Melbourne Storm and Brisbane Broncos players coming out of their dressing rooms.

If they had the opportunity, I'm sure a few of them would have thrown themselves over the fence at the players.

The fact is that there are some young women who would just love the opportunity to sleep with a rugby league star – and then brag to all their friends about it.

But given the potential for things to get way out of hand – rugby league officials should not only be protecting players – but their potential victims – from alcohol-fuelled incidents.

As a sport, rugby league has so much potential to get the message across about the responsible consumption of alcohol.

But too often we have seen some players – and they are a minority – spoil it for everyone – for themselves, fans, and for young women caught up in it all.

Let's hope our sporting leaders realise they have a big responsibility to set a better example.

There are, after all, too many kids watching our stars for them to continue behaving like fools.

-----------

^^^^
was written by the editor-in-chief of the Sunshine Coast Daily....:roll:

this man has an incredible skill of determining how intoxicated people are without even being in the same room ...

Just because the players were at a club doesn't make them drunk or bad role models .... that's if they are role models anyway . After all they're state cup players and not NRL players ... most RL fans would struggle to name a player who competes in state cup .

So it goes that allegedly mentally disabled females might also find it difficult to tell the difference between part time footballers in state cup and professionals in the NRL ... not much bragging rights in bedding state cup players .... that'd piss you off wouldn't it ? Especially if the extortion claims are true ...

innsaneink

Referee
There are, after all, too many kids watching our stars for them to continue behaving like fools.
What should also be not forgotten is many of these stars the kids are watching, are well...kids.

TFS85

Juniors
If they gang raped her sack them and ban them for life and they deserve whatever criminal charges come their way. They need to be held accountable for their appalling actions.

Also even if they did do it the sister should be charged with attempting to extort money.

If the girl is in fact mentally handicapped what was her sister doing leaving her alone in a hotel room with a bunch of drunk footballers in the middle of the night. Not that it excuses the players in any way if they are guilty but if she did in fact then ring them the following day trying to extort money then that is really sick.

I thought the father seemed a bit odd before the extortion allegations came out. I am damn sure if it was my handicapped daughter I would be saying a lot more than "what they did to her was wrong". Maybe he was in shock but he didnt seem to have trouble describing what they allegedly did. IMO even the most composed father would not be able to sit through an interview without showing emotion or anger just thinking about a bunch of men doing that to his daughter. It just sounded fake .... more like he was building his case in the media.

If that is the case I really do feel sorry for this poor girl.

Guys f**k chicks every day...been going on since the days of Adam - not their fault if they turn out to be gold digging s**ts, but yes, maybe football players should conduct interviiews in future prior to any hide the sausage

I cannot even begin to express the contempt I have for these comments. :x

bartman

Immortal
Yeah, because footy players and men in general have RIGHTS! The right to f**k who they want when they want, whether or not they really want it... :roll:

Seriously, if our players - and the game in general - haven't had enough "close call" incidents like this in recent years for us stop blaming the woman all the time and start focussing on player responsibilities and conduct, then I don't know what it will take. Are you happy that our game is dragged into the mud in the media because players can't be choosier about who they f**k, and who might be watching or joining in?

bartman

Immortal
Guys f**k chicks every day...been going on since the days of Adam
And whilst we're at it... f**king is something two people do to each other. Not just something guys do to chicks ;-).

If more players thought of it in this way, they might not think sex always has to be a group gathering in a semi-public room or cubicle with phone cameras at the ready.