What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Barnes back to broncos?

Smiley

Bench
Just saw on channel 10 news that the broncos are persuading Berrick barnes for next year. He said that he will seriouly look at coming back to the broncos. He won't make a decision till after the super 14 season but Cullen have hopes if he decides to rejoin the broncos that will will be playing before the season is out.

broncoman

Juniors
Garts said:
I cant believe you guys let a talent like him leave in the first place.
i dont think we had much say in it in the end...
i think hes realised his dream of playing in the RU WC 07 is not looking too crash hot and he may as well come back to league while he has the chance...

Thomas

First Grade
He actually requires shoulder surgery and won't be playing for the Broncos this year if he switches back...which he won't.

This is all a beat up.

Some journalist asks Berrick "Would you go back to RL"

Berrick: "The door is never closed on RL"

Journo then goes to Cullen: "Would you take Berrick back"

Cullen goes :"yes"

Journo then starts fondling himself thinking he's got the scoop.

From: http://www.couriermail.news.com.au/story/0,20797,18868294-10389,00.html

"A SHOULDER reconstruction will torpedo the Wallaby hopes of Reds tyro Berrick Barnes for 2006 and rule out any shock return to the Brisbane Broncos this year.

Barnes's future became suddenly clouded yesterday when he would give no concrete commitment to rugby union beyond the final four games of the Super 14 season with the Reds at flyhalf.

"The Reds have treated me great and all I'm focused on is the last four games and winning a few more with the boys," Barnes, 19, said. "After that I'll weigh things up. I've said all along the door is not closed with league."

He has a "get out" clause after the first season of his two-year contract with the Reds if he decides he wants to return to rugby league.

He would be a handy gain to fill the halfback or hooker trouble spots at the NRL club and Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen was happy to fan the interest yesterday.

"It seems Berrick has not ruled out a return to league and we would be keen to talk to him either at the end of the Super 14 season or later in the year," Cullen said.

"We have never counted on Berrick becoming available at the end of the Super 14. But as I say, if there is an opportunity to talk to him we will."

Cullen said the Broncos had checked the terms of the Barnes contract in rugby "when he switched codes with our blessing" and it tied him to the code until the end of October.

"What's come out is total speculation," Barnes said of a switch back to the NRL.

"The first news I heard of Bruno being interested in me (for this season) was a few hours ago."

Barnes is proving a hit with the Reds and has shown his maturity and slick skills to run a Super 14 backline at just 19.

He's done it all with a worsening shoulder complaint. Barnes admitted for the first time yesterday that he faces major surgery and six months out of the game.

He is a certainty for the Australian Under-21 tour of France in June but medical advice is certain to push for the surgery before the tour so he's fully fit for pre-season training for 2007.

It will snuff out a season which had promised to soar even higher.

Reds coach Jeff Miller said Barnes would be "crazy" to walk out on rugby after just a single season with the promising lift-off he's had.

"I really feel Berrick has a role in the World Cup next year to look forward to with the Wallabies because he's a fast learner and has been great for the Reds," Miller said.

Barnes is at flyhalf for Friday night's clash against the Cape Town-based Stormers at Suncorp Stadium."

broncoman

Juniors
ideally keeping them both would have been the best option, im not about to crap on about Seymour again but its not like we shoved Berrick out the door and told him to get lost...

salivor

First Grade
broncoman said:
ideally keeping them both would have been the best option, im not about to crap on about Seymour again but its not like we shoved Berrick out the door and told him to get lost...

But it's not as if we did everything we could to keep him either. When you consider the problems we've had in the havles since Langer retired and the lack of quality options we have currently, not fighting tooth and nail to keep someone of such huge talent and potential was a mistake.

Big Pete

Referee
It'd be good if we could have him back sometime in the future, he ran the ball nicely and is playing well from the limited Reds games I've seen.

Big Pete

Referee
Seymour had a good first half to Season 2005 and showed a lot of potential. He only dropped off because of a shoulder injury.

I blame his slow form to 2006 due to a lack of preparation which lead to a lack of confidence.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Big Pete said:
Seymour had a good first half to Season 2005 and showed a lot of potential. He only dropped off because of a shoulder injury.

I blame his slow form to 2006 due to a lack of preparation which lead to a lack of confidence.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I blame Seymour's form becuase he is actually useless!:evil:

Big Pete

Referee
Useless? He was a key factor in our win over Parramatta.

When he stands up he's quite a good player.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Big Pete said:
Useless? He was a key factor in our win over Parramatta.

When he stands up he's quite a good player.

One game Pete, heck even Finch has one or two good games!

Big Pete

Referee
He hasn't played many.

Like I said though, he played quite well at the start of last year.

broncoman

Juniors
i also think people are forgetting he probably would have been the Qld halfback in 2004 if he didnt get injured, he obviously has some ability to have shown that sort of potential at that age...
I can understand his lack of confidence probably in his body more so than his game, hes had an injury every year of his career so far that has really stopped his progress, to completely write him off now is a bit narrow minded...

salivor

First Grade
I'm just going to copy and paste what I wrote in the NRL forum:
Salivor said:
I'm sick of hearing the potential tag with Seymour, he's been on the scene since he was 17, has had over 50 first grade games and only put on a couple of impressive performances. I'm sure the likes of Paul Carige and Greg Wolfgram had a couple of good games in their time, didn't change the fact that they were duds.

Perry doesn't have to be Allan Langer right now. Lockyer at the very least needs a competent halfback next to him, someone who can run to the line with purpose, handle the kicking duties and do some basic playmaking to take some pressure off him. Seymour couldn't handle these very simple requirements which speaks wonders of his so called potential and is why he's now in reserve grade.

Perry impressed me on the weekend, he just needs to be solid for us, thats all I ask. If we can get Tate back in for some added firepower and with Hunt continuing to get more and more involved then we're on the right track.

And if management had've had some sense last year and let Seymour look elsewhere and use that money to possible keep Barnes at the club instead then we wouldn't have to continually have this same argument over 2 average halfbacks.

The retirement of Webcke really brings home the reality that the players that we have relied on for so many years are slowly going. The likes of Thorn, Carroll, Civoniceva and even Lockyer will be hanging up the boots in a few years and if Seymour is the supposed future of our club then we're in BIG trouble.