What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Barrett injured for Wigan

Drew-Sta

Staff member
I'm starting to think someone's got a voodoo doll of him and doesn't want to see him go a year without injuring himself.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21112432-5006066,00.html

Barrett out injured

January 25, 2007 12:00

Article from:

WIGAN rugby league coach Brian Noble has played down an injury that forced prized recruit Trent Barrett to miss his much-anticipated opening game for the English Super League club.

The former St George Illawarra skipper suffered a calf strain at training and was a notable absentee at Wigan's 24-22 pre-season weekend loss to Huddersfield, sounding alarm bells.

But Noble yesterday said Barrett's injury was a minor concern.

"Trent's injury wasn't too serious but we decided not to risk him as a precaution," he said on the Wigan website.

"He made the trip to Yorkshire with us and was in the dressing room at the end of the game."

Former Cronulla Shark Phil Bailey did make his Wigan debut against Huddersfield.
Meanwhile, pint-sized former New Zealand halfback Stacey Jones has left big shoes for ex-Brisbane Bronco Casey McGuire to fill at Catalans Dragons after breaking down with a knee injury.

Fresh from celebrating an NRL premiership with Brisbane, McGuire is now in France faced with the daunting task of chiming into halfback for match-winner Jones who will miss the first month of the 2007 Super League season.

Jones had a cartilage removed yesterday after his knee became swollen at training, however, more damage was found during surgery and had to be repaired.

He is out for six weeks, ensuring he will miss the first four rounds for the Dragons.

"It (Jones' injury) is a blow but unlike last year we have a little more depth in our pivotal areas . . . we will be able to alleviate the loss of Stacey for the first weeks of the season," Catalan's chief executive Nicolas Rayer said.

It continues a horror injury run for Jones who missed three months last season due to a broken arm.

In his absence, the Dragons won just three of 12 games.

McGuire has also had a disrupted start to his first Super League season with the French club.

He missed the Dragons' season-opener, a 38-22 weekend win over a French President's XIII with a viral infection.

The Dragons' first Super League season is against Hull on February 11.

In other news, ex-New Zealand Warriors fullback Brent Webb makes his debut for Leeds in a friendly against Huddersfield on Saturday.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
...back by round 5?

"Trent's injury wasn't too serious but we decided not to risk him as a precaution"

I hope Wigan are paying Saints a royalty for those words.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Godz Illa said:
This aint the ESL forum ;-)

Haha yeah, I know it was a bit irrelevant but thought some people might wanna know.

Here's hoping Baz took the Saints curse of injuries with him to Wigan :D

Dragooner

Bench
brendothejet said:
I just think barret has an allergic reaction to Red and white...

Could actually be possible. He plays stunning and he dosen't get injured when he's playing for Country, NSW or AUS.:p

Dragon_psa

First Grade
Aaaah nice to see some things never change. I wonder how long before Wigan fans start calling him "The Tampon?"

borat

Bench
Willow said:
...back by round 5?

"Trent's injury wasn't too serious but we decided not to risk him as a precaution"

I hope Wigan are paying Saints a royalty for those words.

It was Stacey Jones who was back rd 5

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Father Ted said:
It may well be mean . But I can't help but laugh .

I laugh in relief that he didn't go on to have a successful, injury-free career with Wigan; It would mean Saint injury curse would have more truth to it than meet's the eye. After all, we saw less of him than we should have :(

Still, the poor bastard must think he''s the unluckiest bloke in the world. Medicare must miss his revenue.

Father Ted

First Grade
Drew-Sta said:
I laugh in relief that he didn't go on to have a successful, injury-free career with Wigan; It would mean Saint injury curse would have more truth to it than meet's the eye. After all, we saw less of him than we should have :(

Still, the poor bastard must think he''s the unluckiest bloke in the world. Medicare must miss his revenue.
'
He's one of the best paid poor bastards on earth .

Willow

Assistant Moderator
borat said:
It was Stacey Jones who was back rd 5
Actually I was more to do with dejavu.

It seemed like 5 was always the magic number when it came to injuries. There were times when some of the players were 'expected back in 5 weeks' for what seemed like an eternity.

As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure the official guesstimate on Matty Head for this year is round 5. lol

Latest posts