What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Barrett Rumour

aushellzy

Juniors
Heard a little rumour last night, that Barrett will be coming back to play for the Dragons in 2009 under Bennett.

Not sure if its 100% yet, but my sources have been pretty good so far.

If that does happen, wonder what will happen to our halves combination of Soward/Chase...

I'm excited to see Barrett back in the red and white, and he sure is having a blinder in England, but is he too old for NRL? What could he give us 1 maybe 2 years??

drake

First Grade
I really doubt he will ever be a Dragon again.

Personally, I do not ever want to see him in the Red V again. Even if he had the skills of Andrew Johns.

big pat

Coach
i'm with you drake, barett is a memory best forgotten, i would like to see bennett work on soward and chase, i think they would be better value.

God-King Dean

Immortal
While I would like to see Baz under Bennett, & I'm still a big fan of his... Brining him back would be a step in the wrong direction. 1 step forward, 2 steps back, heel, toe, heel, toe...

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
drake said:
I really doubt he will ever be a Dragon again.
Bringing him back into the side would be very bad for team morale.
Personally, I do not ever want to see him in the Red V again. Even if he had the skills of Andrew Johns.

Why would that be bad for team morale drake?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Unfortunately, we won't be able expand on that... I'm sure Drake agrees.

bornadragon

Juniors
Part of our current problem (I Feel)
Our team lacks someone STRONG to steer them around the pack.
To kick Ryles and his fellow forwards up the arse when they switch off.
Good as they are Soward and whoever are to soft.
I believe, back in a red V he'd do a great job, despite the age.
I'd have him back in a heart beat.

Cagey Mac

Bench
A couple of points
Barrett in = Gaz gets ball or have we forgotten he and Fittler had the best flat pass off either side. The current combo can’t get the ball to the right or does someone want to blame Browny for that
Age? Jason Smith? Alfie Langer?
Depending on price he’d be very worthwhile, certainly not as captain but as 5/8 very worthwhile
Team morale?
If the red V, getting paid to play footy and Bennett aren’t enough to keep your dummy in your mouth, the team doesn’t need you.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Both Brown & Barrett had their chances, & they failed to deliver.

Bennett will be our new coach, & Soward & Chase are our new halves. They should leave it at that.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
f**k Barrett.

He had his chance; I'd much rather see Soward and Chase playing in the halves. They have years ahead of them; Why let them waste away behind a bloke who would chew up more money than Chase and Soward are being paid combined?

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Not many quality 5/8's around. He would be awesome. Cooper and Gaz will shine again in the centres. Since he has gone they have both struggled. Baz also has great defence in the middle of the park. Rangi and Soward will fight out the 1/2 back role whilst Baz get's his No.6 jersey back.

Geez I hope it come off. The Dragons will kill it next season if he does come back.

mightydragon

Juniors
Drew-Sta said:
f**k Barrett.

He had his chance; I'd much rather see Soward and Chase playing in the halves. They have years ahead of them; Why let them waste away behind a bloke who would chew up more money than Chase and Soward are being paid combined?

I disagree, although Barrett has had some shockers for St George Illawarra, I think he is a lot better option than Rangi at 5/8. He is too unpredictable (not to the defence), he has the world's best centres at his disposal but as highlighted last week, we scored two tries from kicks and kicks only, nothing through the hands. Yes Trent will cost more but the pros far out weigh the cons. He use to play like a man possessed when he pulled on a green and gold or blue jersey. Maybe this was due to the intensity and I am guessing that Bennett will insist the same intensity week in and week out next year.

julian87

Juniors
I don't know what that covered up story is, but Barrett on the playing field could be the difference IMO. Best five-eighth for years and STG/I went backwards when they lost him.

Cagey Mac

Bench
Do you really think that Soward and Chase are in Barrett’s class?
Sure they have years ahead of them but years of what? Do you think Browny is telling them “Don’t pass Gaz the ball”?
I think that the Kennedy twins will replace both our current halves in time but Barrett was one of the best 5/8ths that the club has had (so was Choc) in a long time
He managed to get SOO and Aussie jerseys on numerous occasions despite your dislike
He had his chance under Brown, so has Gaz and Coops and everyone else
Bennett is a different coaching scenario
Barrett back under him helping develop a winning side
Barrett was a great player and loyal clubman operating under difficult circumstances within which he coped reasonably.

Latest posts