What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Barry Dick's 2007 Predicitions (Courier Mail)

B.A. Baracus

Juniors
Stranger said:
To be fair, you have to give a player more than 6 games to adjust to a new position. Its not something that can be learned or taught over night. The Hornby/head combo would fall apart within an instant IMO. Hornby and Head do all the little things right, but neither are a dominate player IMO, like a Barrett or a Gaz. Head in my opinion is a great half, and from my knowledge Dragons let go clint greenshields to the titans? Thus they need a fullback. Hornby is an excellent fullback and fill in halfback imo.

People criticise brownie, but he has done a great job for the dragons IMO. They always fall short, but take last year. They were playing without their halfback for 75% of the season and they had a tampon playing 5/8. Don't know how many teams could cope with that.

Gaz is the best attacking player ball in hand bar none IMO. We will have to wait and see who has the vision to become the 5/8ths but IMO its stupid to move ur best players from their positions. I am against what the Dragons are doing, what melb are doing and what the Broncos did with locky, but we will just have to wait to see what works for them.

So - just to play Devil's Advocate here - if, say you are a Dragons fan - and your side is 0-6 after 6 games - and playing like a bunch of stiffs....

Do you stick with Gasnier at 6 because he needs the time to adjust (Which you're spot on with) - or do you get him the hell out of there?!?! The NRL is 'The Quick & the Dead' these days - you don't have much margin for error between success & disaster! And teams will be running their forwards at Gasnier and tiring him out in defence all day long in the halves - which will blunt some of his attacking ability - as will the responsibility of having to worry about those around him - as well as himself - as will having to assume some of the kicking duties! Therefore you now have a player that is only 2/3rds of the ball runner he used to be able to be - and a Kicker/Playmaker with L-Plates hanging around his neck! Look, Gasnier is a FINE footballer - but this is all a big ask - even for Superman!

Do you see why I say Brown is taking such a tremendous risk here? Playing with fire, and I can't help but feel he is going to get burned...

dubopov

Coach
Number Six on a jersey means that a player has #6 on his jersey..nothing more, nothing less..whatever role a player has in a team is NOT solely defined by some number, especially those wearing numbers like 1, 6, 7 and 9..

Of course, Fittler and Daley were centres who moved to wear #6..I'm pretty sure they went OK..

B.A. Baracus

Juniors
dubopov said:
Number Six on a jersey means that a player has #6 on his jersey..nothing more, nothing less..whatever role a player has in a team is NOT solely defined by some number, especially those wearing numbers like 1, 6, 7 and 9..
Why all the big @&$^ fuss & interest about Gasnier moving to pivot - if things won't change? Because fact is - things WILL change! Despite where he may stand in defence - or where he puts himself in attack and what he does with the ball when he gets it - Gasnier will have to learn how to kick - FAST - for just one. It's all very well to belt them round the field in training - but it's a different kettle of fish when you have Steve Price diving at your legs, or Roy Asotasi or Tonie Carroll bearing down on you like freight trains while you do it!

dubopov said:
Of course, Fittler and Daley were centres who moved to wear #6..I'm pretty sure they went OK..
And I'm pretty sure they were also both better players than Gasnier! And certainly, Daley at least - had a team of friggin' superstars around him to cover for him while he adjusted to the switch! And Brad Fittler had the sublimely talented Greg Alexander alongside him as a partner in the halves when he switched. Gasnier has no such luxuries.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
effnic said:
I reckon, parra at 7th with Finch and Tim Smith :lol: i can believe 11th.
Manly is pretty much spot on ;-)
Sharks should be lower.

Could be worse, Orford omfg!

Manly will be lucky to just finish the year in brookvale;-)

Ron Jeremy

Coach
IMO Melbourne and Brisbane are the bench mark, then after them there is a big gap between them and Parra, the Bulldogs ( assuming they stay fit otherwise...) Warriors, Dragons etc.

The Cowboys will be better without Johnstone, atleast player burn out will not occur.

Raider_69

Post Whore
ParraDude_Jay said:
There's no way Canberra will run last. Anyone who tips them to come last has absolutely no idea about their players and just assumes since they are unknown names that they aren't good enough.

Indeed
but we love experts tipping us last, its the best insurance policy to prove we wont come last

Mr Saab

Referee
Raiders wont come last. They will win their fair share of home games come winter time down at the nations capital.
2nd last maybe.

boonboon

Juniors
I am going to say this

Positions finished this year esp in the minor premiership will come down to 1 thing injuries
and depth, but as very few clubs have depth (very few would have a 25 man squad with first grade experience prob only tigers, souths and mayby 1 or 2 others and for souths that is because they were so crap everyone got a run at one stage or another

So Here is my predictions for sides in 07 with some reason around it

Dark Horse despite my tips - Raiders (just cause they do) and Eels - finch to make a big difference

1- Melbourne Storm - Great top side and forward depth, backs could be a worry if injuries (Inglis won't play much 5/8 - Aitken or M Geyer to be 5/8)
2- Bulldogs - great depth built over last couple of years esp in the pack, halves are thier only worry but has been that way for yrs and doesent seem to matter
3-NQC - I think with Smith and Faumina into that side great forwards and backs are dangerous esp outside those halves and have built good depth
4- Tigers - Marshall injury biggest worry but will cope otherwse and have great depth of young players who tasted first grade in last couple of yrs
5- Broncos - Getting older depth not great
6- Manly - good top side will struggle early without BK and backs lite on for depth
7 - Nights - EVERYTHING depends on Joey again but backs ok, front row solid - B Smith best signing at any club for the nights
8- Eels - Finch will have a great season leading the side but depth in the backs and forward quality is down - injury to hindmarsh and t smith still iffy biggest wories plus M Hagan is a crap coach but will sneak into finals on talent alone
9- Penrith - Matt Elliott will do great things but will just not have the class if gower is injured will struggle
10-StGeorge - lots of big losses and will take a year for Gas to gell in halves and have a lot of injury prone players
11- Roosters - Halves arent up to it imo backs are rusty and returning from injury and beattie and nutley back from SL a worry
12-Souths -will improve but cant go from spoon to top 8
13- Titans - first year solid but outside backs a worry without Carney and Turner big losses
14-NZ Warriors - wiki and price getting older and not much to back them up consistency allways an issue
15- Sharks ricky is crap and halves problem and lack of depth will effect
16- Canberra - with the experience they have lost just won't hold up over 26 weeks but will be a much better team in 08

wittyfan

Referee
effnic said:
I reckon, parra at 7th with Finch and Tim Smith :lol: i can believe 11th.
Manly is pretty much spot on ;-)
Sharks should be lower.

Objective as always, effie. :lol:

nqboy

First Grade
Canard said:
I dont doubt that Jase Smith is an awesome talent, I just have doubts over his ability to last the season without gettig injured.

I think we are in the dreaded "rebuilding" year phase, Im thinking somewhere between 9 and 12.
I agree. There seems to be a lot of people overrating our chances IMO.

mepelthwack

Juniors
Odds are things won't go as bad against the Tigers in 07. A swing in fortune sees a certain top 8 spot. A big swing, like in 05, sees top 4.

LESStar58

Referee
I'll speak for my team.....I don't think Storm will finish first. Top 4 at best but I don't see us doing better than this year.

As for the whole Ingliss and Gansier at pivot argument.... neither may be great playmakers just yet but maybe Bellamy and Brown are interested at expanding the five-eighth role by giving it to players who are traditionally running, speedy and agile outside backs.

Check ot what matt Johns has to say about Ingliss' move to pivot in 07....

http://www.news.com.au/sundayheraldsun/story/0,21985,21194742-14823,00.html

Inglis could change gameDave Donaghy

February 09, 2007 12:00am
Article from: Font size: + -
Send this article: Print Email
FORMER international Matthew Johns says Melbourne sensation Greg Inglis's shift to five-eighth this season will revolutionise the position.

Johns, who played eight Tests for Australia, said Inglis would break the mould of a traditional five-eighth, claiming his athleticism would add a new dimension to the key playmaking role.
A former five-eighth at Newcastle and Cronulla, Johns backed Storm coach Craig Bellamy's shock decision to move Inglis -- already one of the game's most effective outside backs -- closer to the action.

He said Inglis, 20, could make the position his own.

"He could develop into the type of five-eighth we've never seen before, just something totally unorthodox, totally different," Johns said last night.

"I think the five-eighth role has changed a lot since I played.

"I think the five-eighth role now is that, while you need to be a ball player, it's very much in my opinion a running position.

"It was a position that has changed and evolved.

"Inglis is a very talented footballer, but primarily he's just an incredible athlete. So I think putting those things together, trying to marry them in, I think he could be an enormous success.

"He's not going to be a Terry Lamb or Laurie Daley. He's certainly not going to be a Cliffy Lyons. But he's going to give the position something we've never seen before.

"You couldn't compare him to anyone. It's an exciting time. There's no doubt Craig's taking a risk, but I think it will pay off."

Storm veteran Matt Geyer, who could be used at five-eighth during the season, said there was a lot of pressure being heaped on Inglis's young shoulders.

"I know it's going to put a lot of pressure on Greg, but we need him to be brilliant every week," he said. "We all saw last year what he can do."

A part-time assistant coach to Bellamy, Johns has been handed the task of shaping Inglis's game following his stunning success at turning halfback Cooper Cronk into one of the game's most exciting young talents.

He conducted two strenuous sessions with the Storm's halves, including Inglis, Cronk and bargain recruit Russell Aitken, at club headquarters at Princes Park yesterday.

Bellamy said Johns' role proved pivotal to Melbourne's drive towards last year's grand final.

"We used Matty to fast track Coops, basically," he said. "Matty needs to take a lot of the credit for Coops' development."

Johns backed Inglis's kicking and passing games to survive any acid test from opposition teams trying to expose a weakness.

Inglis is likely to be named on the bench for the club's opening pre-season trial against the Gold Coast in Coffs Harbour next weekend as Bellamy eases him back into action following a hectic past 12 months.

Aitken looks set to start alongside halfback Cronk, while winger Steve Turner is almost certain to confront the team he refused to join during the off-season.

Prodigal son Matt Rua is expected to play his first game for the Storm since 2000 after five years in the rugby league wilderness.

Melbourne will base its training at Camp Wallaby during the week leading up to the trial.

"We should be almost at full strength in the backs," Bellamy said.

Storm players participating in the NRL's community carnival visited Geelong yesterday with the whirlwind three-day promotional tour to wrap up at Barwon Heads today

Evergreen

Juniors
Mr Saab said:
Raiders wont come last. They will win their fair share of home games come winter time down at the nations capital.
2nd last maybe.

:lol: :lol: That's better.

We are the logical choice for the spoon as nobody north of Goulburn recognises our squad. Its an easy way out for most punters and they know it.

Keep the doomsday predictions coming......

B.A. Baracus

Juniors
Whilst that is a very interesting article from Matt Johns - he is hardly the most objective person when talking about the Storm! :p ....One thing I will say is - that if anyone can do as Johns suggests above, and revolutionise the role - then I reckon it would be Inglis.

Stranger

Coach
B.A. Baracus said:
So - just to play Devil's Advocate here - if, say you are a Dragons fan - and your side is 0-6 after 6 games - and playing like a bunch of stiffs....

Do you stick with Gasnier at 6 because he needs the time to adjust (Which you're spot on with) - or do you get him the hell out of there?!?! The NRL is 'The Quick & the Dead' these days - you don't have much margin for error between success & disaster! And teams will be running their forwards at Gasnier and tiring him out in defence all day long in the halves - which will blunt some of his attacking ability - as will the responsibility of having to worry about those around him - as well as himself - as will having to assume some of the kicking duties! Therefore you now have a player that is only 2/3rds of the ball runner he used to be able to be - and a Kicker/Playmaker with L-Plates hanging around his neck! Look, Gasnier is a FINE footballer - but this is all a big ask - even for Superman!

Do you see why I say Brown is taking such a tremendous risk here? Playing with fire, and I can't help but feel he is going to get burned...
You are another fan swept away in the hype for inglis. The Press would have you believe Inglis is the best player ever and can do anything. If the dragons are 0-6 they would just be having their normal start to a year, nothing new down there. However if Gaz was costing them left right and center maybe. Whats the difference between Gaz playing 6 and Inglis playing 6? Both will have the forwards running at them, both will have the pressure from the forwards, and both will have alot of pressure on themselves.

Benett was playing with fire moving Lockyer. Took over a year or two for him to settle into the position IMO. But now he has got the most of it down pat.

B.A. Baracus

Juniors
It's no hype. I 'spotted' Inglis well before the hype actually - he tore into us (The Bulldogs) in a game I was at at the Showground in 2005 - scored 2 wonderful tries and saved a couple more with his 1-on1 line defence in the centres that day - belted us with some very decent hits in general - made line breaks at will & ran for a game total of about 5 kilomteres it seemed - and I just thought "Who the hell IS this guy? He's a FREAK! He's just 17 or 18 and has just basically won an entire game by himself!' And have watched him closely & with great interest ever since.

I didn't need anyone to tell me Inglis was special - and just about anyone that saw that game Inglis played against the Dogs in 05 would be the same. Short of Laurie Daley back in the 80's - and Sonny Bill in 04 and Tim Smith at times in 05 - I have NEVER seen a more confident, self-assured and destructive teenager just take a game by the scruff of the neck like that - and just completely dominate it!

I was totally unsurprised at Inglis' stellar year last year - although I wouldn't have told you he'd be a Kangaroo. Thought he'd have to wait for that a bit longer. But then - I wouldn't have known that Anthony Minichello would miss almost the entire 2006 season either.

And once again - Brisbane had more class around the field to help Lockyer out - than St. George do. Besides the fact that Lockyer could already A. kick and B. pass a footy. He was basically operating as a 2nd 5/8th for the Broncos anyway. The change was risky, yes - but still far less dangerous than what St. George are doing with Gasnier. Bennett is also about 100 times the coach that Nathan Brown is.

St. George are an ordinary football side - and have been for some time. ALWAYS made me laugh when they were pre-season favourites! They would only ever be carrying any of my money on the the day after I officially go mad.

Stranger

Coach
St George an ordinary side? Please now i have heard it all. Gaz has been the worlds best centre for some time now. A move to 5/8 may re-spark his want to play and show us all his class as a footballer, despite his lack of class as a person. Although he may prove us all wrong. And now Gaz can not pass a football? Please...
I still cannot see how you can say Inglis will succeed when Gaz will not. Inglis still has to pass through 2nd year syndrome which has hit even the huge names in Sonny Bill and K Hunt. The role of the 5/8 doesnt not have to include great kicking skills. The Dragons have many players that can do that.