What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Barry Dick's 2007 Predicitions (Courier Mail)

t-ba

Post Whore
wittyfan said:
Objective as always, effie. :lol:

You let little Sullyfan dictate your opinion on the quality of players...So you're hardly one to criticize another posters objectivity.

B.A. Baracus

Juniors
Stranger said:
St George an ordinary side? Please now i have heard it all. Gaz has been the worlds best centre for some time now. A move to 5/8 may re-spark his want to play and show us all his class as a footballer, despite his lack of class as a person. Although he may prove us all wrong. And now Gaz can not pass a football? Please...

I still cannot see how you can say Inglis will succeed when Gaz will not. Inglis still has to pass through 2nd year syndrome which has hit even the huge names in Sonny Bill and K Hunt. The role of the 5/8 doesnt not have to include great kicking skills. The Dragons have many players that can do that.

St. George - 0 Premierships since 1979. And, what - only 3 GF appearances in that time for 3 losses? Early favourites for the past couple of seasons, but have folded like a deck of cards at crunch times, despite having - what appears on paper - to be a squad of fine individuals - Mm. Yeah, that's the mark of a champion team allright if ever I saw it...Fair dinkum - Ah that'll do me! :lol:

And what Darren Lockyer does is pass a ball - what Mark Gasnier does is throw it. No matter if Mark Gasnier trains 18 hours a day every day for the rest of his life - he probably still won't have the ability to quite throw a pass like Darren Lockyer. It takes a helluva lot more than just swinging your arms & hands to throw a GOOD pass.

Inglis is in his third year - not second.

And Gasnier DOES need kicking skills - and has bloody admitted as muchhimself! And has been training extensively in them in the off season because of it - because all he has for backup in that department is Hornby. And if Honrby's injured - he has nothing.

Look, he may well succeed at five-eighth - I don't have a crystal ball - but it is going to be very, very, very difficult for him - and if I was a betting man - and I am - then my money will be on Gasnier not lasting 2007 in the role.

Charlie124

First Grade
I must say i was surprised to see us named at 2, and i dont think second is likely, however Canard and NQboy, you need to have a lot more faith in our team than you seem to have, i cant remember reading a post from Canard where he hasnt torn down our chances. We had a bad year in 2006 but a lot of things contributed to that, things that i just couldnt possibly see repeating themselves.

We lost a few players but none that arent replaceable, Sing and Cooper are probably our biggest losses, Cooper is pretty much replaced already and we've been hearing nothing but good things about some up and coming outside backs to replace Sing. Hannay, as much as i loved him in the team certainly wasnt showing the form he used to have, Henry has replaced him wonderfully. Norton really isnt much of a loss at all. Then add the experience of Smith in the halves, even if he doesnt see out the whole season his experience is priceless, i think this year we will see the best of Jonathon Thurston.

wittyfan

Referee
t-ba said:
You let little Sullyfan dictate your opinion on the quality of players...So you're hardly one to criticize another posters objectivity.

Manly won't finish anywhere near the Top 4.

That's total objectivity for you.

Bomber

Bench
Charlie124 said:
I must say i was surprised to see us named at 2, and i dont think second is likely, however Canard and NQboy, you need to have a lot more faith in our team than you seem to have, i cant remember reading a post from Canard where he hasnt torn down our chances. We had a bad year in 2006 but a lot of things contributed to that, things that i just couldnt possibly see repeating themselves.

We lost a few players but none that arent replaceable, Sing and Cooper are probably our biggest losses, Cooper is pretty much replaced already and we've been hearing nothing but good things about some up and coming outside backs to replace Sing. Hannay, as much as i loved him in the team certainly wasnt showing the form he used to have, Henry has replaced him wonderfully. Norton really isnt much of a loss at all. Then add the experience of Smith in the halves, even if he doesnt see out the whole season his experience is priceless, i think this year we will see the best of Jonathon Thurston.

For the record, I believe we'll finish between 5th and 8th before (hopefully) another memorable finals series.

Cooper was a big loss in my opinion. Parr should have tried harder to keep him, since I believe Bowman won't last the year in the centers. The other big question mark is our depth in the halves - since it's universally agreed at Smith won't last the year, and with McConnell and Firman both leaving town, I'll like to know who's going to be able to play in the halves when required.

Godz Illa

Coach
Stranger said:
You are another fan swept away in the hype for inglis. The Press would have you believe Inglis is the best player ever and can do anything.
Stranger, I admire your work in this thread. Unfortunately your combatant in this argument, as are most in the Gasnier/Inglis five-eigthth discussion, are altogether unwilling to listen to reason. Baracus, in this case, was converted to Inglis fandom after two dazzling tries back in 05, yet was unmoved by Gasnier's two tries at Kogarah as late as July 06, against his precious Dogs, playing in the completely foreign and cumbersome role of five-eighth. Or was he? Gas was wearing number 6, but Head and Hornby were both out on the field, and both seemed heavily involved around the rucks. Indeed it was Hornby that threw the final pass before Gasnier's mesmerising 60 metre solo try that left 5 Dogs in his wake. Perhaps Hornby was five-eighth, just wearing the number one jersey. And maybe Gasnier varied his involvement, occasionally playing centre or fullback. Who knows. Perhaps this complex and crazy scheme of role-sharing is what the coach of an 'ordinary' (read: cellar dwelling) Dragons side has in mind for 07, considering the depth of playmakers, kickers and ballmakers at his disposal in Head, Hornby, Young, Woolford, Caine, Chase, Williams. Oh and Gasnier. Brown is 1/1000th the coach that Wayne Bennett is but that overwhelming superiority didn't save ol' Wayne the howls of disdain from the narrow-minded media and wider league public when he dared shift the world's greatest fullback to a new position for the betterment of his team. Poor Brownie has no chance.

Mr Saab

Referee
Very true Godz.
Bennett was hammered from Perth to Auckland with his moving of Lockyer.
Heaven help Brown if they lose 4-5 in a row.
At least you will have Daley who will talk it up every chance he gets on Fox!

t-ba

Post Whore
wittyfan said:
Manly won't finish anywhere near the Top 4.

That's total objectivity for you.

Bookmarked. This isn't disappearing like another thread...

Stranger

Coach
B.A. Baracus said:
St. George - 0 Premierships since 1979. And, what - only 3 GF appearances in that time for 3 losses? Early favourites for the past couple of seasons, but have folded like a deck of cards at crunch times, despite having - what appears on paper - to be a squad of fine individuals - Mm. Yeah, that's the mark of a champion team allright if ever I saw it...Fair dinkum - Ah that'll do me! :lol:
Actually what you said was
B.A. Baracus said:
St. George are an ordinary football side
Now you are saying they are not a champion team. Please stick to one of them. They are no champion team, but they are no ordinary team.
2006 1 game short of the GF.
2005 1 game short of the GF.
2004 Qualifying Final
Such an 'ordinary' football side as you put it.

B.A. Baracus said:
And what Darren Lockyer does is pass a ball - what Mark Gasnier does is throw it. No matter if Mark Gasnier trains 18 hours a day every day for the rest of his life - he probably still won't have the ability to quite throw a pass like Darren Lockyer. It takes a helluva lot more than just swinging your arms & hands to throw a GOOD pass.
He throws it? Ive seen Andrew Johns 'throw' the ball, is he a bad passer? What is the difference between a pass and a throw if they are both hitting the man:?.

B.A. Baracus said:
And Gasnier DOES need kicking skills - and has bloody admitted as muchhimself! And has been training extensively in them in the off season because of it - because all he has for backup in that department is Hornby. And if Honrby's injured - he has nothing.
. Please, He has Morris, head and Hornby. Kicking is easily learned.

B.A. Baracus said:
Look, he may well succeed at five-eighth - I don't have a crystal ball - but it is going to be very, very, very difficult for him - and if I was a betting man - and I am - then my money will be on Gasnier not lasting 2007 in the role.
I would bet the otherwise, re Gaz's contract;-)

Canard

Immortal
Charlie124 said:

Charlie, Im just trying to be a bit more "realistic" Im shocked that people think we are basically going to finish with all but the minor premiership this season. I just think if Cowboys fans go into the season expecting that sort of form, we are only going to be dissapointed.

Our front row depth is poor also, Sargent was a bigger loss than people make out, and lets not forget (Ian M assistant coaching or not) our head coach is going to have his mind off the job again for 6 to 8 weeks in the middle of the season.

As for those young kids we recruited (Karl Johnson etc.) they look the goods but you cant expect them to perform at NRL level this season, you have to give them at least 2 seasons before that could be reasonable.

In the end Id rather people pick us for the spoon, so we have something to improve on rather than basically pick us to the be the best team in the comp other than Melbourne. (which we can only fail to live up to).

icewind

Juniors
Gasnier will be a dismal failure at 5/8. Inglis should go ok, but imo, will be more effective at fullback or centre, running off the halves.

Broncos should be top 3. St George a great football side lol. Gets into grand finals but can't win em. I reckon if St George get into the GF this year, they should give it up to the next best team, as they would be a waste of space in the GF.:lol:

Godz Illa

Coach
Not quite as funny as your losing GF comment. Did you think about that at all? The last GF played wasn't that long ago, surely you remember it. I thought the geniused Storm fan niche was filled by billy the kid and 1999. You're redundant.

Sugar

Bench
icewind said:
Gasnier will be a dismal failure at 5/8. Inglis should go ok, but imo, will be more effective at fullback or centre, running off the halves.

Broncos should be top 3. St George a great football side lol. Gets into grand finals but can't win em. I reckon if St George get into the GF this year, they should give it up to the next best team, as they would be a waste of space in the GF.:lol:
Why do you think Inglis will go ok???

icewind

Juniors
no Broncos actually. I just think Inglis has a lot of natural talent plus the fact that Cronk and Smith did most of the playmaking last year anyway so there won't be as much pressure on Inglis as there would be with Gasnier especially with matt head being so injury prone, who does he have apart from Hornby at fullback?

But as i said, I'd prefer Inglis as f/back or centre.

B.A. Baracus

Juniors
Stranger said:
Actually what you said was...
Ordinary side - Not a champiopn team. Same thing in my books...are you a lawyer, perchance?...Trying to split hairs like that?! :lol:

Stranger said:
Now you are saying they are not a champion team. Please stick to one of them. They are no champion team, but they are no ordinary team.
I'm afraid they are.

Stranger said:
2006 1 game short of the GF.
2005 1 game short of the GF.
2004 Qualifying Final
Such an 'ordinary' football side as you put it.
Choke, choke and....choke. Individually - St. George has been well above average for a while now - but as a TEAM - they have underperformed dismally. An ordinary 'team' - do you note the difference between individual players - and a team?

Stranger said:
He throws it? Ive seen Andrew Johns 'throw' the ball, is he a bad passer? What is the difference between a pass and a throw if they are both hitting the man:?.
Yes. He does. Gaz has a mean offload - but - on evidence presented so far - is not a playmaking passer with tremendous vision. This can be learned - bt takes time. A LOT of time. More time than, I suspect, Gaz has to get it absolutely right here.

Stranger said:
. Please, He has Morris, head and Hornby. Kicking is easily learned.
Then you do it. Have you played Rugby League? Have you been a kicker for a team? I have. And I've coached - and continue to coach it. And I can guarantee you it is no walk in the park. You have to be thinking at all times about the kick. Watching the fullback & wingers constantly & thinking where you're going to put it when the time comes - Whether to maybe slip one in early if the opportunity arises - IF you get the angles on the kick that you want - if someone closes your angles down you have to readjust and re-evealuate - FAST! Specially when there are 100kg forwards bearing down on you. Even if you DO get a clean kick away - you're likely to get towelled up by the chaser's ANYway!....It's an almost thankless job.

Head has to stay fit. And Morris, from what I know of him from the junior scene - is not a kicker of any note.

How quick Gaz learns and how patient the fans, coach & board are with all of this while he learns will be the making or breaking of Gasnier.

Stranger said:
I would bet the otherwise, re Gaz's contract;-)
More like Brown's job.

All you Saints fan can say what you ike - but you're quite frankly clearly biased. I am objective - And the only facts I need to see are that on skills already present - Inglis has Gasnier covered. So far. I am told by people who should know - that he was a kicker all through his junior years - and a goalkicker - and has a monster boot & a generally fabulous kicking game that has not been unleashed onto the NRL yet - simply because it hasn't needed to be. This will change. Watch & see...

I am not basing any of this on one game - what an absurd notion - whoever said that is clearly not paying attention here - as I already said - that game just made me sit up and take NOTICE. And I watched him very closely whenever possible after that. I have seen a lot of Greg Inglis. Probably more than most non melbourne fans I'd wager!

As for the Saints Dogs game to which you refer - who won that game? Gasnier scored 2 sizzling tries - but he can do that from the bloody centres FFS! When the game was there to be won for Saints - GAsnier was not there running the show & slipping defence splitting passes, or rolling the ball over the line, or kicking the ball into gaps to give his side field position & a breather when they need it.

You think because he's such a great centre, this all will just automatically transfer over to his new position - and new responsibilities? Then I say think again....

Sugar

Bench
icewind said:
no Broncos actually. I just think Inglis has a lot of natural talent plus the fact that Cronk and Smith did most of the playmaking last year anyway so there won't be as much pressure on Inglis as there would be with Gasnier especially with matt head being so injury prone, who does he have apart from Hornby at fullback?

But as i said, I'd prefer Inglis as f/back or centre.
We will have to wait and see just like gaz

Questions that will be answered in time otherwise lets speculate
Does he possess a passing game?
A kicking game?
Can he set players up?

We all know he has speed,can defend,a side step a killer fend, can hit the right angles and glimpses of a football brain.
If he indeed possesses the questioned skills then it will be a good year for the storm
If not then back to the centres and no harm done

Latest posts