What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bathurst Classic Cars...What's your all-time favourite?

Pics if possible please.

Mine..

C40jksHUYAEmgLn.jpg

YoHadrian

Juniors
Probably not a popular sentiment however the Texaco Ford Sierra Cosworths ( and others ) were amazing cars. 2Litre Turbo, 500bhp & 300kg of enforced ballast & they still blew the doors off the entire field (despite have 1st & 2nd place revoked at Bathurst )

87RS500WTCC.jpg

Life's Good

Coach
Awesome Car mate..

You've got the "before" shot... here's the "after"..

That’s just like yesterday(although it will be 35 years ago this weekend).
I recall they ended up borrowing a show car, stripped it down & rebuilt it using race kit to have it ready to go.
Helped build the Dick Johnson legend.

That’s just like yesterday(although it will be 35 years ago this weekend).
I recall they ended up borrowing a show car, stripped it down & rebuilt it using race kit to have it ready to go.
Helped build the Dick Johnson legend.

Yeah mate - although I remembered Dick actually borrowed a Falcon from another competitor, who ended up getting a commodore. Only place I can find reference is wikipedia though.. See notes section. Andrew Harris - what a bloke..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_James_Hardie_1000

• Harris/Cooke qualified 30th in the #9 Bendigo Falcon but their car was used to get Johnson/Bartlett back into the race after Johnson crashed the #17 Falcon in Saturday morning's Hardies Heroes. The Harris/Cooke team took part in the race after Johnson's sponsor Ross Palmer (owner of Palmer Tube Mills) acquired the Lawrence/Russell Commodore. The Commodore and Falcon were rebuilt and painted for the race in a marathon effort through Saturday night. After getting stewards and other teams approval the DJR Falcon was allowed to start from 10th while the Bendigo Commodore was allowed to start from position 30. Following the race the Falcon, leased from Harris by Palmer, was returned to the Bendigo Team while the Commodore was returned to Palmer who promptly sold it back to Barry Lawrence.
  • Andrew Harris had to get permission from one of his sponsors, Melbourne's Jefferson Ford, to use their Ford dealership name on the re-painted Holden Commodore, which was dubbed the Fordore by the team (the Commodore also carried 5.8 signage, the litre capacity of the Ford 351 Cleveland engine used in the Falcons). In a TV interview during the race with Channel 7's Evan Green, Harris told that he had offered Dick Johnson's wife Jill his Falcon for DJR to get back into the race after seeing a visibly upset Jill Johnson in the pits following her husbands qualifying crash, reasoning that the Ford fans would rather see Johnson in the race than himself. Driving the Commodore Harris ended up finishing 10th and winning the Rookie of the Year award.

Latest posts