What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battle of Brisbane - Won

Mikeo

Juniors
Brutus said:
All I know is the Storm rate better when shown live or Prime Time in Melbourne (on the few occasions they've been shown ie round one 2007) than the Swans do in Sydney.

That's absolute garbage fuelled by more apples vs oranges comaprisons.

The entire basis for this quote from you is the fact the the Storm drew over 200,000 in melbourne last year for a live round 1 game at 7:30 on a high-rating Friday night into melbourne, two weeks before the AFL season even began. No AFL competition at all. And live to boot. The first match after losing the 2006 GF.

Watching the Storm get 117,000 in melbourne for a semi-final vs the Cowboys at the SFS a couple of years ago on the lower rating Saturday Night is a better example of where the Storm really sits in melbourne.

Last years prelim vs Parra rated a pathetic 242,000 in melb with NO AFL game on! 242K for a friggin prelim! The Collingwood-Geelong Preliminary Final nearly reached that number in Sydney (209,000) without the Swans even in it!

The Swans Prelim in 2006 got 339,000 in Sydney head to head with the NRL and in 2005 on a Friday night it rated 414,000 in Sydney.

So, if you're going to make comments, makes sure you back them up with sme reasonable apples vs apples comparisons or you'll just embarass yourself, champ.

mark123

Juniors
Don't you love the media? Especially the courier mail.

First they drum up all this fuel for a battle, based on a normal exchange from two club ceo's.

They fuel up the underdog constantly - AFL - in qld, partly due to a media contract they have with the AFL.

You don't hear one story to the contrary; they always push the "afl is coming to get you rugby league!! Better watch out"....and back it up with comments from every hot blooded afl supporter and administrator to make it sound better. The "REAL" facts...

THEN...when Rugby League kicks the daylights out of the AFL, on a night when both sports were on equal ground....THE TWO BEST match-ups possible for the teams involved......

THE NEXT DAY you see a story that panders to rugby league supporters.....about how we kicked their backsides and how the AFL is pushing crap up hill to get a second side here.

Don't you just love the media!

Its days of our lives, or the bold and the beautiful.

They are just writing stories to entertain the public and sell papers. It may be based on fact, but the ideas that they plant in your head during that, is all choreographed.

LOL

And they have a contract to speak positively about the AFL....

but dont worry, Mikeo....I read the courier mail a lot and I think they've already written at least 10 positive AFL stories about how its growing and the one "true game" is spreading. But they have dropped off on the whole "AFL players have higher personal standards and uphold more community values" since the whole wayne carey thing, and the fool from the eagles refused to partake in the afl's media contract charade. So that makes the count of 6 mandatory stories they must do of such natures, accounted for. So the rest of the stories were for your reading pleasure.

Rugby League has always kicked AFL's ass....it was always a no contest, but media contracts, sporting organizations and a papers desires to sell papers, have conspired to make it out as a contest, when in fact it never was.

We are pawns. And I don't buy the courier mail because of garbage like that. I said I read it a lot, friend gives me his copy when I am done. I refuse to buy it....now you all know the truth (its a soap opera based on life to make you buy buy buy) you might be wiser in your choice.

butchmcdick

Post Whore
mark123 said:
Don't you love the media? Especially the courier mail.

First they drum up all this fuel for a battle, based on a normal exchange from two club ceo's.

They fuel up the underdog constantly - AFL - in qld, partly due to a media contract they have with the AFL.

You don't here one story to the contrary; they always push the "afl is coming to get you rugby league!! Better watch out"....and back it up with comments from every hot blooded afl supporter and administrator to make it sound better. The "REAL" facts...

THEN...when Rugby League kicks the daylights out of the AFL, on a night when both sports were on equal ground....THE TWO BEST match-ups possible for the teams involved......

THE NEXT DAY you see a story that panders to rugby league supporters.....about how we kicked their backsides and how the AFL is pushing crap up hill to get a second side here.

Don't you just love the media!

Its days of our lives, or the bold and the beautiful.

They are just writing stories to please the public and sell papers.

LOL

And they have a contract to speak positively about the AFL....

but dont worry, Mikeo....I read the courier mail a lot and I think they've already written at least 10 positive AFL stories about how its growing and the one "true game" is spreading. So that makes the count of 6 mandatory stories they must do of such natures, accounted for. So the rest of the stories were for your reading pleasure.

Rugby League has always kicked AFL's ass....it was always a no contest, but media contracts, sporting organizations and a papers desires to sell papers, have conspired to make it out as a contest, when in fact it never was.

We are pawns. And I don't buy the courier mail because of garbage like that. I said I read it a lot, friend gives me his copy when I am done. I refuse to buy it....now you all know the truth (its a soap opera based on life to make you buy buy buy) you might be wiser in your choice.

Apart from your love of conspiracy theories do you have any evidence of a contract between the courier mail and the AFL for the newspaper to ' always talk positive about the AFL '.

Do you have a source or are you talking out of your arse ?

Also I hate to break it to you but selling the most newspapers they can is the entire aim of any newspaper. You see thats how they make money. So your little rant about them wanting to sell papers is no big suprise to most people.

Finally, if it is such a tool of satan and you can't stand it so much why do you read it at all ?

Digga Hole said:
Both without direct competition. I was at the Parra game, but there was no AFL game on in the city at the same time.

I think the AFL, and the NRL for that matter, would be very happy with their numbers for Friday night.

the AFL happy with 96,000
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mikeo said:
That's absolute garbage fuelled by more apples vs oranges comaprisons.

The entire basis for this quote from you is the fact the the Storm drew over 200,000 in melbourne last year for a live round 1 game at 7:30 on a high-rating Friday night into melbourne, two weeks before the AFL season even began. No AFL competition at all. And live to boot. The first match after losing the 2006 GF.

Watching the Storm get 117,000 in melbourne for a semi-final vs the Cowboys at the SFS a couple of years ago on the lower rating Saturday Night is a better example of where the Storm really sits in melbourne.

Last years prelim vs Parra rated a pathetic 242,000 in melb with NO AFL game on! 242K for a friggin prelim! The Collingwood-Geelong Preliminary Final nearly reached that number in Sydney (209,000) without the Swans even in it!

The Swans Prelim in 2006 got 339,000 in Sydney head to head with the NRL and in 2005 on a Friday night it rated 414,000 in Sydney.

So, if you're going to make comments, makes sure you back them up with sme reasonable apples vs apples comparisons or you'll just embarass yourself, champ.

96,000 for the national sport

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
butchmcdick said:
Apart from your love of conspiracy theories do you have any evidence of a contract between the courier mail and the AFL for the newspaper to ' always talk positive about the AFL '.

Do you have a source or are you talking out of your arse ?
The AFL pays for positive coverage in News ltd papers iirc. It was a confidential agreement and only came out in the C7 court case.

JW

Coach
Butchmcdick, it's old news champ.

As part of the previous deal with Rupert Murdoch's News Ltd and Kerry Packer's Nine Network, the AFL secured guarantees about editorial coverage. News undertook to provide marketing and support in its newspapers and Nine agreed that ACP, Mr Packer's magazine publisher, would generally support the AFL and run a minimum of four stories a year to promote its growth and development.

While the AFL rights deal is confidential, the undertakings by News and Nine are revealed in court documents filed in Seven Network's lawsuit over the demise of its pay TV arm, C7. The AFL's general manager, broadcasting, strategy and major projects, Ben Buckley, refused to comment. A spokesman for the National Rugby League, John Brady, said it had never done deals such as the AFL's where it tried to "legislate the outcome" of editorial coverage.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/football/we-are-not-out-to-gag-sbs-says-football-chief/2005/11/08/1131407636275.html

ali

Bench
As part of the previous deal with Rupert Murdoch's News Ltd and Kerry Packer's Nine Network, the AFL secured guarantees about editorial coverage. News undertook to provide marketing and support in its newspapers and Nine agreed that ACP, Mr Packer's magazine publisher, would generally support the AFL and run a minimum of four stories a year to promote its growth and development.

While the AFL rights deal is confidential, the undertakings by News and Nine are revealed in court documents filed in Seven Network's lawsuit over the demise of its pay TV arm, C7. The AFL's general manager, broadcasting, strategy and major projects, Ben Buckley, refused to comment. A spokesman for the National Rugby League, John Brady, said it had never done deals such as the AFL's where it tried to "legislate the outcome" of editorial coverage.

That is pathetic. But I suggest if it is legal and the AFL wants to play dirty, why isn't RL doing it in Melbourne?

AFL pays for good media.

to get people following the swans and lions it allows those teams to spend around 1 million more on players than the rest of the comp. ie they bought their competition effectively.

with all of that, they still only get 110,000 watching their game in those states.

:lol:

Digga Hole

Juniors
ali said:
That is pathetic. But I suggest if it is legal and the AFL wants to play dirty, why isn't RL doing it in Melbourne?

I think you will find the News Limited owned Herald-Sun does exactly this now in Melbourne.

Hanscholo

Bench
mark123 said:
Club record/brisbane record/qld record/nrl record crowd.... on a night up against AFL, again LIVE TV coverage, AND a very rainy day, AND threatening skies at night....

and we

kicked their a$$

Someone go and tell demitriou that his game is still far behind. Heck, even their gold coast bid fails to light a fire, in the papers, amongst people....

the battle of brisbane has been won, and we continue to fight the war.

Rub it in m8, they would...

<3

Brutus

Referee
dallymessenger said:
what are you saying the NRL pays the Herald Sun for favourable coverage?

BS.

If they do, it's just one article 30 pages behind the AFL.

Ice777

Bench
dallymessenger said:
the AFL happy with 96,000

It's all well and good to laugh they only got 96,000, but i'd much rather get that amount of people watching rugby league here in Melbourne showing it live as opposed to the few thousand that might watch it at midnight when it's shown here.

They might be getting sh*t numbers but at least they're trying to grow the game in "foreign" territory which is more than i can say for the NRL down here. You laugh at the AFL showing some initiative, i laugh at the jokers running the NRL given we can't even see our own Melbourne team playing live Friday night let alone any other side which is just ridiculous.

I'd kill to only have 96K people watching rugby league here if it meant we got it live because it'd be tens of thousands more than what would watch it at midnight. But i somehow can't see that happening very soon unfortunately.

Noa

First Grade
Gee I would of thought with Lions playing the universe most popular sports organization in Coallingwoody the'yd do a bit better then 96,000 on the box

Brutus

Referee
Considering the Lions game was a two-point thriller and the Broncos game was a blow-out, those figures are great for the NRL over the AFL in Brisbane.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Ice777 said:
It's all well and good to laugh they only got 96,000, but i'd much rather get that amount of people watching rugby league here in Melbourne showing it live as opposed to the few thousand that might watch it at midnight when it's shown here.

They might be getting sh*t numbers but at least they're trying to grow the game in "foreign" territory which is more than i can say for the NRL down here. You laugh at the AFL showing some initiative, i laugh at the jokers running the NRL given we can't even see our own Melbourne team playing live Friday night let alone any other side which is just ridiculous.

I'd kill to only have 96K people watching rugby league here if it meant we got it live because it'd be tens of thousands more than what would watch it at midnight. But i somehow can't see that happening very soon unfortunately.

Now that nine is broadcasting there HD channel with different material, I can't see why they don't show the game on the alternate channel in Melbourne, this is something Gallop needs to bring up with Channel 9.

Brutus

Referee
Dogs Of War said:
Now that nine is broadcasting there HD channel with different material, I can't see why they don't show the game on the alternate channel in Melbourne, this is something Gallop needs to bring up with Channel 9.

Maybe he could give them an ultimatum: Use it or lose it :lol: :lol: :lol: