What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battle of the Dolphins

Sgt Schultz

Juniors
Oops sorry my error I meant that when they thought of the Dolphin and Rugby League in South East Queensland they associated it with Redcliffe.

And what a load of Rubbish nobody at Redcliffe has said the game owes them a thing. And I can assure you nobody that makes decisions there thinks that.

Sgt Schultz said:
Oops sorry my error I meant that when they thought of the Dolphin and Rugby League in South East Queensland they associated it with Redcliffe.

Fair enough then

And what a load of Rubbish nobody at Redcliffe has said the game owes them a thing. And I can assure you nobody that makes decisions there thinks that.

I haven't heard anyone say it but it is a perception with all this in the news. You've got to remember that in an NRL sense no one gives a toss where the Dolphins are from.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Eelectrica said:
I've always believed that the Gold Coast teams should have been named the Dolphins. That has absolutely NOTHING to do with Redcliffe.
Am then I to understand that IF instead of being named the Redcliffe Dolphins they were instead named the Redcliffe Vipers for EXAMPLE that you believe the Gold Coast bid team would then follow in the same steps and name that team them the Gold Coast Vipers as well?!

From my point of view nothing could be more incorrect. When I think of the Dolphins and football I actually think of the Miami Dolphins NFL team and Dan Marino, Don Shula, Mark Duper and Mark Clayton and some of those greats, Redcliffe doesn't register at all, or at least it didn't until now.

Clearly then, you have no background in Rugby League in Queensland. Anyone who has attended or followed Rugby League in Queensland would immediately associate the terms "Dolphins" and "Redcliffe".

As I stated before, they have for many years been the third largest Rugby League Club in the State. Not recognising the connection between the logo and the Club shows an ignorance of Rugby League in Queensland.

DIEHARD

----
Stewbum said:
Gold Coast minus Serle = no controversy and overwhelming support from Qld Rugby League fans

True, my first choice was Gladiators. But it doesn't take a genius to see the Gold Coast try and do this sort of thing. Redcliffe have had years to make any NRL intentions known, even if it was 5-10 years away.

Fact is I can't see how Redcliffe have anything but moral grounds to stand on. No one owns the Dolphin and they are different markets.

I don't have much to say about the whole thing, it is an awful situation.

We will just have to wait and see.

mightybears

Bench
diehard said:

No one owns the Dolphin and they are different markets.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bettya there is legal opinion that says otherwise re 'markets'

i voted for chargers myself
continue the history all that etc
when i saw the dolphin option, i thought surely they don't want to pick a fight!

DIEHARD

----
mightybears said:

bettya there is a legal opinion for everything if you are willing to put up the cash to go to court over it. :lol:

Sydney Carton

Juniors
DIEHARD said:
mightybears said:

bettya there is a legal opinion for everything if you are willing to put up the cash to go to court over it. :lol:

Not only an opinion but a precedent.

If Gold Coast wish to save on legal expenses, simply change the name now. Those with merchandise already can consider themselves owners of collectors items (just like other Gold Coast jerseys).

DIEHARD

----
Stewbum said:
DIEHARD said:
mightybears said:

Not only an opinion but a precedent.

Which precedent would you be referring to?

Sydney Carton

Juniors
Without getting into specific cases it comes down to whether or not Rugby League can be shown to be a market in South East Queensland.

As per below it does not matter if Mr Ignorant Southerner does not know who the Redcliffe Dolphins are. It comes down to whether or not a rugby league fan from South East Queensland does. If he does then Gold Coast would be infringing upon Redcliffe's trademark.

That, and if Redcliffe can successfully register it. As they were first in that market, it should be no problem.

"Nonetheless, the court grudgingly acknowledged its earlier opinion in <removed>, which held that “niche” fame within a limited geographic area or a specialized market segment may support a claim of dilution occurring within that niche. However, in order to maintain coherence in relation to the level of fame generally required for a dilution claim, the court emphasized that niche fame must be concentrated in a highly specialized market segment with an identifiable customer base. In other words, consumers within the niche must be likely to make associations between marks that the general public would not make. "

DIEHARD

----
I don't see how they compete against each other in a market. I don't see how they are in the same market. And I don't see how having the Gold Coast Dolphins will cost the Redcliffe Dolphins anything but pride. I can't see how they would lose any money.

And you can't trademark a Dolphin.

DIEHARD

----
I guess if things can't be worked out, to me both parties don't seem to pudge, we will find out...

Redcliffe wont settle for a pittance to be a subordinate feeder club. I think the only thing they could do to appease them is a share in the Gold Coast franchise, which wont happen.

Gold Coast on the other hand, have their heart set on being the Dolphins and have spent a lot of money and time on developing that identity for the NRL bid and wont want to back down. And they also are smug believing they have the law on their side.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
DIEHARD said:
Fact is I can't see how Redcliffe have anything but moral grounds to stand on.

Is there anything stronger than that ? Or don't morals count when we are talking high profile new ventures against existing non-NRL clubs ?

DIEHARD

----
XXXX Cap said:
DIEHARD said:
Fact is I can't see how Redcliffe have anything but moral grounds to stand on.

Is there anything stronger than that ?

Well not in the legal system.

You are a Wynnum, how did you feel about the Tweed Heads Seagulls coming into the Queensland Cup?

Just for interests sake.