What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Baz to Wigan?

borat

Bench
Well now Baz has been given permission to negotiate with English clubs and it seems even more likely that he will go, I wonder what 1/2 or 5/8th is coming off contract this year that we might be interested in. I would imagine if baz leaves we will have some serious coin to throw around.

I can think of John Morris, Kurt Gidley, Michael Monaghan, Jamie Soward to name a few. As long as its not Adma Dykes!!!!!! Geez I wish we had of resigned Holdsworth. I gotta feeling letting him go is really going to bite us in the ar*e. I am just not convinced that Head, Hornby and Greenshields in the 7, 6 & 1 can do the business for us.

Goldthorpe

Bench
Barrett's Replacements at FE in 2005
R01
L Canterbury Bulldogs 46 v St George Illawarra Dragons 28 at Telstra Stadium GORRELL, Aaron
R02 L St George Illawarra Dragons 12 v Melbourne Storm 46 at WIN Stadium TIMMINS, Shaun
R03 L Penrith Panthers 18 v St George Illawarra Dragons 8 at Penrith Stadium HOLDSWORTH, Daniel
R11 W Newcastle Knights 16 v St George Illawarra Dragons 18 at EnergyAustralia Stadium HOLDSWORTH, Daniel
R14 W St George Illawarra Dragons 34 v North Queensland Cowboys 4 at Oki Jubilee Stadium HORNBY, Ben
R15 W South Sydney Rabbitohs 10 v St George Illawarra Dragons 28 at Sydney Cricket Ground ENNIS, Micheal
R16 L St George Illawarra Dragons 24 v Wests Tigers 32 at Oki Jubilee Stadium ENNIS, Micheal
R19 W Manly Sea Eagles 10 v St George Illawarra Dragons 36 at Brookvale Oval HOLDSWORTH, Daniel

4-4

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Hot off the presses...

Barrett granted permission to test UK market
27/1/06
www.jubileeavenue.com.au

St George Illawarra Dragons captain Trent Barrett has been given permission to negotiate with English clubs with a decision likely before the end of February. Today's development paves the way for Barrett to leave the NRL at the end of 2006.

Dragons chief executive Peter Doust and Barrett's manager Wayne Beavis met today following earlier speculation which linked Barrett to Wigan in the UK.

"I've got no comment on the likely outcome of today's talks. I wouldn't have a clue," Doust said yesterday.

Beavis was equally guarded and insisted that linking Barrett's name to Wigan was "purely market speculation".

"There's nothing to the story," Beavis said yesterday.

But this afternoon, Doust announced that Barrett wanted to see what interest he could attract from Super League clubs in England.

"He's going to contemplate a move overseas for 2007 and beyond," Mr Doust said.

"That doesn't mean that he's decided to go. He's just going to consider the offers and see what comes of it.

"I think that's the way things are going over there these days - they're looking to attract players of that calibre and so I think they'll be interested, no doubt."

Barrett to test his worth on English league market

27/1/06
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200601/s1556479.htm

St George Illawarra captain Trent Barrett is almost certain to leave the National Rugby League club at the end of this season to play in England.
The Dragons have given Barrett permission to negotiate with English clubs and a decision is likely before the end of February.

Dragons chief executive Peter Doust said Barrett wanted to see what interest he could attract from Super League clubs in England.

"He's going to contemplate a move overseas for 2007 and beyond," Mr Doust said.

"That doesn't mean that he's decided to go. He's just going to consider the offers and see what comes of it."

Mr Doust said there was likely to be no shortage of offers for Barrett's services.

"I think that's the way things are going over there these days - they're looking to attract players of that calibre and so I think they'll be interested, no doubt."

Cuchullain

Juniors
Lowey3 said:
According to the Wigan fans over here...

They've signed Barratt, Gasnier, Lyon and king kong for next season.

The fact is they talk sh*te!! rumours are constantly being named with Wigan and their fans believe everything!!!

Very gullable people e.g. somebody posted a rumour on rlfans, stating that they had seen Jamie Lyon with Millward having a meal with a contract on the table.... some of the thick fookers went out and got Lyon printed on the back of their jerseys!!!!

Like i said - gullable people!!

Ash, don't make a fool of yerself over here too. Non of that was posted. I've read posts on RLFans before you did one and renamed yourself for the 3rd/4th time.

Baz has already signed with Wigan almost a month ago, sorry to say.
All this is just the bull thats brought up in between it being announced, which could be months off.

I seriously don't know how he'll do for them though, Wigan fans are thinking Matty Johns Mk 2 (worst case) or a Adrian Lam type of signing (best outcome).

Most are still sceptical though.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Cuchullain said:
Baz has already signed with Wigan almost a month ago, sorry to say.
Pen to paper or is this just related to the determined mail/rumours of last month?

If its the former, perhaps you have a source.

Cuchullain

Juniors
Can't actually say if its pen to paper, but having spoke to a few players around new year, they told me about Barrett having signed without even having to ask them. I won't say exactly who but they are new additions to the Wigan squad.

If it ain't pen to paper, I find this a little strange that they told me in the first place.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
No disrepect intended and I hope to see you posting often Cuchullain. But in my experience, footy players are not all that reliable for info. ;-)
The CEO and player manager sometimes exhaust their options and sort out such things on the last day.

Wobbygong

First Grade
One things for sure with Ennis & Thommo gone, Bails and Timmo going if Barrett leaves as well, we'll be able to re sign the rest and still be aggressive in the player market.

Rexxy

Coach
Are you suggesting what i think you're suggesting, Wobby? A comeback by Tony Hearn? :D

Wobbygong said:
One things for sure with Ennis & Thommo gone, Bails and Timmo going if Barrett leaves as well, we'll be able to re sign the rest and still be aggressive in the player market.

Wobbygong

First Grade
I was thinking bigger, George Morroco, Willie Leyshon (went ok in the sevens tournament apparently) or maybe even sticking with local talents like Peter Spring, Seamus O'Connell.

Hey with Baz purportedly leaving Rexxy, what about Trevor Kissell?

I could arrange a player sponsorship deal with the Narwee R&T lounge.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Wigan has no interest in Barrett
February 10, 2006

ST GEORGE-Illawarra's chances of retaining Trent Barrett beyond this NRL season have improved after English club Wigan's interest in signing him "stalled".

Barrett has been weighing up whether to exercise an option in his contract that allows him to escape the final two years of his deal with the Dragons to play with an English Super League club.

The Warriors shaped as the club most likely to lure the 28-year-old, as he had played under both Wigan coach Ian Millward and his assistant Andrew Farrar at Illawarra.

However, Wigan boss Maurice Lindsay today labelled suggestions the club was prepared to shell out up to $500,000 a year to lure Barrett as "sheer nonsense", denying any interest in the star playmaker.

Barrett's manager Wayne Beavis admitted Wigan was now unlikely to pursue Barrett, although several other Super League clubs were still chasing his signature.

"In relation to Wigan, their interest in proceeding may have stalled," Beavis said today. In relation to Barrett, no decision will be made on his future until we get all the (English) offers in.

"I'm waiting for all the other offers to come in on the table before I make another comment. The whole thing is becoming a three-ring circus, with the figures being bandied about are totally outlandish."

Lindsay said he was "fed up" with reports constantly linking his club to off-contract players.

"In the Trent Barrett case, however, the Wigan name is once again linked as it always is whenever a top player comes on the market,'' Lindsay told the Super League website. We are sick and fed up of reading that we have made record offers for players around the world.

"The sums involved are absolutely ludicrous and bear no relation whatsoever to reality or common sense, particularly with the salary cap structure in the UK. If anyone examines our overseas quota they would quickly realise that it is sheer nonsense to connect us with every player that becomes available."

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,18102890-23214,00.html

Willow

Assistant Moderator
after English club Wigan's interest in signing him "stalled".
Money has a habit finding its way to the negotiation table.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Follow Me Up To Carlton said:
I reckon Timmins could score a years deal with Wigan if he plays his cards right.

The Crab re-united with the Easter egg at Wigan.

Laughable.

Latest posts