What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bears launch bid to return

Loudstrat

Coach
Why did the Bears move in the first place? The criteria. 2 reasons. One was NSO in relation to the criteria's stipulation for grounds. The second is they were promised exemption because CC was outside Sydney. Then they started building, and the NRL redrew the map and considered it INSIDE Sydney.

No point in having one game at NSO.

sharko

Juniors
If Bear Park is not up to scratch then Leichhardt Oval and WIN Stadium should be ditched immediately..the state of thsoe grounds, transport to them are inferior to Bear Park right now.

gottabegood

Juniors
Central Coast alone fails in meeting appropriate expansion criteria in my opinion.

But together with the Nth Sydney Bears, adding a good supporter base, a very affluent area, 100 year history, instant rivalry, added star supporters, attracting more $$,wining back Union and AFL supporters, feel good story, et bloody cetera......

There is only one choice, the Central Coast Bears.

Bring 'em back I say.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
Central Coast alone fails in meeting appropriate expansion criteria in my opinion.

But together with the Nth Sydney Bears, adding a good supporter base, a very affluent area, 100 year history, instant rivalry, added star supporters, attracting more $$,wining back Union and AFL supporters, feel good story, et bloody cetera......

There is only one choice, the Central Coast Bears.

Bring 'em back I say.

Good call.
the biggest problem the CC Beasr face - and it will never be made public - is that most Sydney clubs are financial basketcases and their CEOs are sh*tscared of a well-funded highly supported CC Bears team making their clubs look even worse by comparison.

Pass the Ball

Juniors
Needs to be a stand alone venture if at all IMO..

If they were called the North of Sydney Bears would you all shut the f**k up....???

Red Bear

Referee
Why did the Bears move in the first place? The criteria. 2 reasons. One was NSO in relation to the criteria's stipulation for grounds. The second is they were promised exemption because CC was outside Sydney. Then they started building, and the NRL redrew the map and considered it INSIDE Sydney.

No point in having one game at NSO.
Reason 1 debunked when Souths played games there
Reason 2 when the scumsucking NRL redrew the boundries well after the move was being made in a stab in the back of julius caeser proportions

gottabegood

Juniors
Needs to be a stand alone venture if at all IMO..

If they were called the North of Sydney Bears would you all shut the f**k up....???

The central coast stand alone are too small, and add stuff all attraction when they visit other teams on the ground and on TV, it can only be with the Bears.

Pass the Ball

Juniors
The central coast stand alone are too small, and add stuff all attraction when they visit other teams on the ground and on TV, it can only be with the Bears.

Can't argue with that...

I see what you are saying...You need teams that polarize people...

This is why the Roosters, Broncos and Melbourne are so good for the game...Most hate them which makes their supporters love them even more...

The central coast is so meh....who cares...????

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
Can't argue with that...

This is why the Roosters, Broncos and Melbourne are so good for the game...Most hate them which makes their supporters love them even more...

The central coast is so meh....who cares...????

I think I get your point. Another thing is, if they're the Bears, they have a history. It brings another local derby back into the NRL, the old Manly v Nth Sydney fued reignited. Whether it be Bluetongue, Brookvale, or NSO, the place would be f**king packed out.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
Can't argue with that...

This so, so simple.

Bring back a traditional club. Well supported, well financed. Heals major wounds of superleague war.

It's already such an embarrassing, shameful carry-on by News and the NRL to put every hurdle in the way for 10 years.

Bring back the Bears now. Make the call.

Reintroduce the credibility that the game lacks so badly.

girvie

Staff member
There was a great interview tonight on 2ue with Greg Florimo. It is sounding very positive!

Frailty

First Grade
As much as I want to get on the back of the NRL for their lack of planning, I must say I prefer how they are going about expansion as opposed to the AFL...

Whilst the AFL is picking a spot and throwing piss loads of money at it, the NRL is saying 'you want a side - prove it'. This is a strength in my opinion (although it can be argued that it just means lack of planning).

Perth Red

Post Whore
As much as I want to get on the back of the NRL for their lack of planning, I must say I prefer how they are going about expansion as opposed to the AFL...

Whilst the AFL is picking a spot and throwing piss loads of money at it, the NRL is saying 'you want a side - prove it'. This is a strength in my opinion (although it can be argued that it just means lack of planning).

That very much depends on if you end up with a National league that sponsors and TV want or a provisional league that falls behind national leagues. Whilst there is certainly long term sustainability in only putting teams where they can stand on their own two feet from day one it does very much limit you to only expanding into areas that are already strong RL areas. With the best will in the world the NRL doesn't have a strong enough national profile to have non RL heartlands beating down its door with $20million in the bank and a 20,000 supporter base from day one. That takes the NRL to invest and support RL in non heartland areas and I see no evidence of that happening.

Frailty

First Grade
That very much depends on if you end up with a National league that sponsors and TV want or a provisional league that falls behind national leagues. Whilst there is certainly long term sustainability in only putting teams where they can stand on their own two feet from day one it does very much limit you to only expanding into areas that are already strong RL areas. With the best will in the world the NRL doesn't have a strong enough national profile to have non RL heartlands beating down its door with $20million in the bank and a 20,000 supporter base from day one. That takes the NRL to invest and support RL in non heartland areas and I see no evidence of that happening.

I agree. The NRL should be funding developing league in areas where there is no heartland, but I would not want to see them doing the AFL and picking a location in Australia where there probably isn't a demand for it - WesternSydney for example.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I agree. The NRL should be funding developing league in areas where there is no heartland, but I would not want to see them doing the AFL and picking a location in Australia where there probably isn't a demand for it - WesternSydney for example.

One thing you can't knock the AFL for is their succesful expansion from the old VFL. Regardless of what you think of the Swans or Lions we would kill to have been able to expand into Adelaide, Melbourne and Perth as succesfully as they have into our heartlands. If they are targeting West Sydney and GC you can guarantee it is for good reason and will be one of the cards played when it comes to their hoped for $1billion next TV deal.

Personally I would rather know the NRL had a grand plan for where it wants to be in 5,10 and 20 years rather than hanging around hoping someone comes along with a strong bid.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
One thing you can't knock the AFL for is their succesful expansion from the old VFL. Regardless of what you think of the Swans or Lions we would kill to have been able to expand into Adelaide, Melbourne and Perth as succesfully as they have into our heartlands. If they are targeting West Sydney and GC you can guarantee it is for good reason and will be one of the cards played when it comes to their hoped for $1billion next TV deal.

The AFL have had an incredibly easy expansion path. Saying anything otherwise is ridiculous.

T to the T

Juniors

With the new stadium in Melbourne, is it possible that the Storm will be more popular in Melbourne than the South Melbourne Swans in Sydney?

Loudstrat

Coach
Auckland anyone?

Unlike AFL, the NRL has, arguably, ready made supporter bases of well over 20 000 in 3 areas: Central Coast, Brisbane and Sunshine Coast. This is WITHOUT going into non heartland areas.

League recently had a world cup. In comparison, AFL can offer a 3 state bodgey comp.

Personally I would rather know the NRL had a grand plan for where it wants to be in 5,10 and 20 years rather than hanging around hoping someone comes along with a strong bid.

The ARL had expansion twice the size of the old VFL expansion. Even after decimation, the NRL reaches more areas of the country than AFL does.

Consider this. The AFL and NRL face off in only 3 cities. That aside, AFL is only in 2 other locations. NRL is in 6. Net eyar, there will not be an AFL market without an NRL presence. There will still be 5 NRL markets that AFL will never ever get into: Canberra, Wollongong, Newcastle, North Queensland and NZ.

The NRL has 5 new markets beating down the door to get in: Perth, Central Coast, SEQ, PNG and Fiji. There is no market beating on AFL's door pleading for inclusion. In fact, teh AFL is beating on the doors of NRL territory, hgoping desperately someone will listen. Apart from the council, no one on the Gold Coast can remember what AFL is after hearing the word "Titans". And Western Sydney - their attempt is like trying to set up a mosque in Tel Aviv, or flogging thermal underwear in Darwin.

Latest posts