What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bears launch bid to return

Knightmare

Coach
The way I see it, once we have a Perth team and the Bears back, we've got Australia covered. The rest is consolidation. The Bears equal Rugby League returning from the North Shore to the Central Coast, a further win for those disgruntled after Sewerleague and the largest junior base without an NRL side finally has NRL representation.

The Reds equal NRL presence on the other side of the continent, in an area that was scarred by Sewerleague culling but has managed to regain strength in League numbers.

gong_eagle

First Grade
Don't put the Bears in Gosford

By Nick Walshaw | December 11, 2008
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,24781014-5016307,00.html

EVEN poor ol' Matt wants to get rid of his sock. Signed by Jason Taylor, it sits among a sorry eBay collection of Northern Eagles merchandise, memorabilia and musty used clothes. There's the team poster set for $3.99. A plush mascot for eight bucks. Two beanies, two caps and a range of other knick-knacks all waiting around like ugly callgirls on a rainy, Tuesday night.
And then there's the sock.
Go on, have a look. It'll still be there today. Tomorrow too. The one JT signed To Matt some six years ago now being offered up for $49. Good luck.
Because up on the Central Coast at least, the Northern Eagles remain a dirtier phrase than "Attention CityRail passengers ...''
Here by Brisbane Water, the Beagles will always be a farce. A joke. Greatest con since The Crying Game. Because here was a club which sold itself as a Central Coast team. This despite working out of Manly, training out of Hornsby and wearing more colours than a Passion Pop hurl.
Like a pesky Avon lady, simply appearing every couple of months to ring your doorbell and take your cash. And now you Sydneysiders want to put this sick joke on us Coasties all over again. For almost a month now, talk has been building around a supposed push to move the North Sydney Bears up the F3 to Central Coast Stadium.
Suggesting that when NRL boss David Gallop again talks expansion - something he recently refused to do in the foreseeable future - it should be the Bears.

Put simply, shifting the Bears to Gosford would be a toxic dumping of Hazmat proportions. So bad, dreadlocked women would start chaining themselves to those Central Coast Stadium palm trees by their underarm hair.
Why? Because there is just no mystical love affair between the Bears and the Central Coast. Up here Norths are simply the bumbling mess who've won ... NOTHING in 86 years. Who tried to come here - twice - and still botched it up.
So c'mon, why stop with the Bears, Sydney? Why not send us Parramatta Road traffic snarls. Or George Street glassings. Hell, maybe you could ship us that dodgy Leichhardt Oval toilet block with Corey Worthington inside.
Or how's this for an idea? If the Central Coast truly deserves an NRL team, why not just give us one? Name, colours, drunk superstars, the lot.
Like when the Northern Spirit soccer club folded in 2004, coach Lawrie McKinna and nine of his players moving to the Central Coast for a new start. Moving with no money. No connections. Nothing.
"And if we'd stuck with a name like Northern Spirit,'' says Central Mariners boss Lyle Gorman, "we'd still be struggling.''
Four years on and the Mariners now boast the support of Sheffield United owner Kevin McCabe, a database of 60,000 players and plans for a new $60million training complex at Tuggerah. Acting global, thinking local.
It's why every Monday they're still in schools. Every Tuesday conducting clinics at one of the Coast's 22 clubs. So committed, the running joke suggests that if your school fete only attracts three people, you can be sure one of them is a Mariner.
This is about refusing to take your community for granted. Like McKinna hosting fan barbecues in his backyard or Gorman conducting studies into the disproportionate youth suicide rate. Why, when an alcohol company recently offered $1.3million as front-of-jersey sponsor, they said no.
Because take the tip, the Central Coast isn't part of North Sydney. Ben Ikin never skated at Froggy's. Gary Larson never ate Wombi Whoppers. And we're pretty sure the late, great Ken Irvine never hurled a can of VB at Dieter Brummer inside Club Troppo.
Which isn't to suggest Bears legend Greg Florimo shouldn't continue his push to have an NRL team on the Coast. He should.
Get Singo involved. Appoint Dave Fairleigh as coach. Then rediscover that next wave of Mark O'Meleys, Matt Orfords and Ian Hendersons.
They should even buy Matt's sock off eBay ... keep it as a permanent reminder of what doesn't work up here.

KempoKnight

Juniors
I agree with the article, I hear all the time people that don't even live on the coast going on and on about the bears and the central coast and the presence they already have here, and I think to myself what presence?

If Rugby League is to succeed on the central coast the team needs to be a Central Coast team, not a former NRL team brought back on the coast. We would want to make our own history and not live of past glorys and history attained by the side when they were recognized as the North Sydney Bears.

Last edited:
If Rugby League is to succeed on the central coast the team needs to be a Central Coast team, not a former NRL team brought back on the coast. We would want to make our own history and not live of past glorys and history attained by the side when they were recognized as the North Sydney Bears.

Well too bad cos that will never happen and rightfully so.

The Tank

Bench
They're linked with the CC because they were moving there permanantly before they were f**ked over. The stadium was built for the Bears.

MayMoo

Juniors
Nice how he conveniently doesn't mention all the Bears players who are/were from the Coast.

I think he is in a minority and that most people up there would embrace the Central Coast Bears. This is my feedback, but I am not a hack for the Terror-graph.

He can keep trying to link this with the Northern Eagles but it doesn’t wash.

That was a sad shotgun marriage, a team playing in a Manly strip, 1/2 games at Manly and not even called the Central Coast.

Fine if you insist on having a team with no link to the Bears, but first re-establish the Bears at North Sydney Oval. After all, they were promised exclusion from the criteria and a place in the comp if they came up here.

A much better option however is one team the Central Coast Bears.

A Central Coast team with the traditional red and black and Bears.

gottabegood

Juniors
The point is a standalone central coast would be a nice addition, but about 10th in line, because they are a blimp, and don't bring enough to the table. Basically they should not see a NRL licence in 50 years if they are lucky. Somebody get them a ten gallon hat.

But with the addition of the Bears there is a stronger possibility of realising the dream. But if the community doesn't want the bears, then I say enjoy the mariners, cause that's all you will get.

I love the way the article proudly claims support from England as opposed to home grown support from the bears.....nice.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The stadium seating still says
GO
BEARS

in every single bay:

centralcoast.jpg

Personally though I don't care who gets in to the Central Coast - as long as the club that does gives it a red-hot go, not a half-assed Beagle attempt.

Timmah

Staff member
The point is a standalone central coast would be a nice addition, but about 10th in line, because they are a blimp, and don't bring enough to the table. Basically they should not see a NRL licence in 50 years if they are lucky. Somebody get them a ten gallon hat.
Based on what exactly? Most ludicrous paragraph I've ever read - you've offered absolutely NOTHING to suggest why they bring nothing to the table. Do you actually know anything about the Central Coast?

Timmah

Staff member
gottabegood, this is the second thread where you've gone spouting that CC fails on criteria or isn't good enough - yet you've supplied absolutely no evidence backing that claim!

Get a grip!

I disagree completely with the above article. If the Bears become the Central Coast Bears and operate out of the central coast (which they basically already do) they will be fine. They've been on the Coast long enough now to have a stack of CC juniors in their ranks and this is the key to them taking off. If they have a stack of CC juniors going around, they will have a mass of CC support. Coasties will get behind their own.

Timmah

Staff member
All the article is, is an emotional and biased rant by a News Ltd cronie. Grain of salt.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
All the article is, is an emotional and biased rant by a News Ltd cronie. Grain of salt.

This "journalist" - his father is involved with CC rugby league in some capacity - so no noubt there is an axe to grind. More politics from egotistical nobodies holding ruby league back.

problem is - they have a sympathetic ear from Gallop - for whatever reason.

gottabegood

Juniors
gottabegood, this is the second thread where you've gone spouting that CC fails on criteria or isn't good enough - yet you've supplied absolutely no evidence backing that claim!

Get a grip!

Mate there are several Sydney teams, and teams representing Newcastles greater region, ACT, Wollongong in NSW. Another NSW team, a stand alone CC team, is very much a middle of the road blimp on Australias power rating scale, and should find it tough to get in.

With the likes of Brisbane only having one team, Queensland only having 3 teams, no reps in WA or SA, 1 team in NZ, and interesting options like PNG and the obvious massive growth in pacific island players, well frankly CC ain't top of the pops. But hey with the bears...come on in.

I shouldn't need to go through the details, sunshine, however you can tell me why they should even get in front of say 2 new brisbane teams.

adamkungl

Immortal
If it isn't the bears, I don't think the CC should get a side. There are more important places that aren't within an hour of Sydney

sooperdooper

First Grade
it will be an utterly silly idea to introduce another club into NSW.
We need to look at perth or adelaide.
I am sorry but bringing back an old team to a new place wont work...
The bears are dead and buried. Time to move on.

Central coast is 1 hour from Sydney (who have 8 clubs) and just a one hour from newie who has a team. Why do we need yet another club? Considering all NSW clubs are struggling...

Timmah

Staff member
Mate there are several Sydney teams, and teams representing Newcastles greater region, ACT, Wollongong in NSW. Another NSW team, a stand alone CC team, is very much a middle of the road blimp on Australias power rating scale, and should find it tough to get in.

With the likes of Brisbane only having one team, Queensland only having 3 teams, no reps in WA or SA, 1 team in NZ, and interesting options like PNG and the obvious massive growth in pacific island players, well frankly CC ain't top of the pops. But hey with the bears...come on in.

I shouldn't need to go through the details, sunshine, however you can tell me why they should even get in front of say 2 new brisbane teams.
Central Coast isn't Newcastle's greater region. Newcastle's a good 1h 30 from the area and the Knights don't really benefit from any support they do get in the area. I'm still wondering what a blimp is but I can tell you now the CC is a giant league nursery which is currently being sucked away at by Victoria.

And it's nothing about "you shouldn't" go on the details - you simply don't have any. Your argument is flawed through practicality. The Coast has thousands of junior league players that can be brought up through the ranks, and areas like SA have very few.

I agree bring Perth in, but if you need a second team concurrently to round the number to 18 - then it must be the Central Coast - the region is screaming for it and you aren't really showing why they shouldn't.

Timmah

Staff member

Central coast is 1 hour from Sydney (who have 8 clubs) and just a one hour from newie who has a team. Why do we need yet another club? Considering all NSW clubs are struggling...

I challenge you to get from Sydney to Gosford or Newcastle to Gosford in an hour without breaking the law.

Because the Central Coast have the facilities, a massive junior base and have shown that they will get behind a local team.

The Bears have the backing and the know how to run an NRL team and they also have a supporter base and a Junior set up in place.

Its such a simple idea to Marry the two together. Combined, the Central Coast and the Bears have all the correct ingredients to get a team off the ground in no time, which is what you want when you are setting up a new franchise.

The fact that the CC is one hour from both Newie and Sydney is a bonus imo. The Bears vs the Knights will quickly develop into a derby and the CC is close enough so that fans of Sydney teams will happily travel to away games up there.